LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air Intake Mod + ECT Reprogram = Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 03:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

i didnt :|
Old 09-04-08, 08:42 PM
phobs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt either.
Old 03-16-10, 10:11 PM
tchdwnuga
Driver School Candidate

I realize that this is an extremely old thread to bring back but i just wanted to add something to it.

I recently did a very similar mod to the intake on my 96, however i just re-used the OEM air filter. I just bought some door molding, put it on the outside of the filter and them clamped it on the filter housing. I was not using the top air box anyways so not having a place for that to mount doesn't bother me. I have noticed a signifigant improvement in fuel mileage since this mod, i'm hovering at around 22-24mpg in town, and up to 28 on the hw, so not too shabby, (i also cut out the 3rd cat, redid most of the piping, and replaced the last 2 mufflers with magnaflows and turndowns). It also has a very agressive tone in the higher rpms.

Kyle
Old 03-16-10, 10:34 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrome04
I lost over 2 mpg.

Anyone else?
You probably drove it harder haha
Old 03-17-10, 05:57 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anyone ever get Dyno numbers before and after?
Old 03-17-10, 07:50 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe this is a psychological thing. More noise is associated with more horsepower. Same with the KN filter. If you can't get it on a dyno another way is to do 0 to 60 times. Do them on the same day same place ect... For several runs and compare and I bet not difference will be the result. I used to use KN on my truck till I removed it and noticed lots of dust on the filtered side of my intake. Will never us a K&N again.
Old 03-17-10, 08:23 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Thats kind of what I was getting at. More noise makes is sound like you are going fast. It would probably help out with MPG to do this for better/easier flowing intake and a less restrictive exhaust but then you have to be able to keep your foot out of it.
Old 03-17-10, 08:42 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I did back to back testing on my modified air box (different than the Lexkost) at the dragstrip. Did multiple passes with and without and picked up an average of 0.5mph which is roughly 5 rwhp. Not big but not a loss and it certainly sounds better. I have ran this way for 7 years with no problem. I do NOT recommend the K&N filter for these cars as the element has less filter surface than the excellent stock filter.
Old 03-17-10, 08:43 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Jbradly, Thanks for the confirmation. How did you mod yours?
Old 03-17-10, 11:49 AM
Mugen_1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running this mod for about a year now, and I've never had a problem with mileage. I average 19 around town and have managed up to 26 on the highway (but is normally closer to 23).

I'm on stock exhaust - for now. But with just this mod, it's much louder and as a previous poster said, sounds like a race car when mashed. Simplest, cheapest mod I've done that gives instant gratification every time I stomp on the gas haha.
Old 03-17-10, 07:00 PM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

saw this today and tried it. the sound wasnt what i was expecting, but it definitely is an improvement
Old 03-18-10, 02:40 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

I am also driving with the K&N and no airbox. I swear I got a better speeder respons and a little more power. And the sound is just great. I can drive normally and no one would notice anything, untill i kick down the pedal and the V8 comes to life. Its a great deep racing sound. I have done nothing to my exhaust so this cheap mod is definatley great bang for the bucks. And if you use the oem filter its even cheaper. And at least try it before ordering K&N if you want to know what it feels and sounds like.

I bought a K&N because my oem filter was done. And i have never had any oil/maf problems with K&N filters. So i'm satisfied with the mod and will try the ECT mod in the future when i got the time. Sounds pretty cool.

Last edited by Rollaboy; 03-18-10 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-18-10, 07:39 AM
tchdwnuga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 7schulz
Anybody have a link or something more specific for the weather striping to add so I can just run the filter without cutting the box. I was at Home Depot and didn't see what I thought was mentioned.
I didn't understand why he said that weatherstripping was needed. All i used was the door guard, wrapped around the OEM filter, and everything worked fine, the remaining intake box itself doesn't move at all.

So i would just get the door molding and be done.

Kyle
Old 03-18-10, 08:21 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
I did back to back testing on my modified air box (different than the Lexkost) at the dragstrip. Did multiple passes with and without and picked up an average of 0.5mph which is roughly 5 rwhp. Not big but not a loss and it certainly sounds better. I have ran this way for 7 years with no problem. I do NOT recommend the K&N filter for these cars as the element has less filter surface than the excellent stock filter.
Is this with only the air box mod or also the muffler delete?
Old 03-18-10, 10:18 AM
ZeRoSL
Driver School Candidate

This is a link of what it sounded like after i modded it.

I went to advanced auto parts and got the door edging for 1.03 after tax. since it only took 5 minutes (cuz it was night in the parking lot right outside of the store), it was a very surprising result

Door Trim/Edge Link to what you are looking for

Quick Reply: Air Intake Mod + ECT Reprogram = Power