LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Air Intake Mod + ECT Reprogram = Power

Old 02-10-07, 09:21 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It should give the engine a deeper sound. On my previous car I had a CAI and magnaflow exhaust on my car. Before I sold it I took the intake off and left the exhaust on. Well when I did that I noticed that, even though the car sounded alright without it, it just didn't have that louder POWER sound. If you know what I'm talking about. You should be able to feel some difference with this, and I'm looking forward to the video.
Old 02-11-07, 08:19 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did the mod on my car with my OEM filter. Just like Lexkost showed it works and took 10 minutes. The black door trim cost $2.99 at a car parts store.

This intake mod really made my car sound different. At full throttle it sounds like a race car. I don't know what it would sound on a stock LS as I already did the muffler delete.
Old 02-15-07, 04:02 AM
Hit Man X
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Few days late here, but I still use the cheapo paper filters and have hacked the box. It seems to pull a bit better on the high end and the noise output is nice.

Shocks a few people, that's for certain.

Now if I could find a place to reflash the PCM I'd be content.
Old 05-04-07, 08:56 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

I just did the hacked airbox. I think it sounds absolutally amazing. It sounds a bit muffled, so maybe by deleting the mufflers it'll help it out a bit. It does give a small increase in power, that's for sure. I think that this idea was genious, it makes the car sound so much different, and preform so much better.

Oh Pure Drifter, hows that Apexi comming? What exactly is that? I dont think I've seen a car with that kind of mesh before. I'll be your buyer if it works and looks nicely. You just have to show me how to clean it.
Old 05-06-07, 12:19 PM
ewenpg
Driver

I did this mod the other day, works well! I think I feel the difference in the higher revs when it is really sucking in that air. Sounds really nice, purrs a lot more. Yet to do an exhaust mod so I am looking forward to hearing it then! Thanks for the info!!!!!
Ewen
Old 05-08-07, 01:06 PM
oslo
Driver School Candidate

I'm actually in the process of installing a high flow intake from swift racing technologies. It's a tight fit, as it's made for the GS400, but a little sawing and hammering did the trick. I still have to install the ECU chip add-on, but even with the intake alone I can tell a huge difference. Engine has a nice roar now when you step on it.
Old 05-08-07, 03:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by oslo
I'm actually in the process of installing a high flow intake from swift racing technologies. It's a tight fit, as it's made for the GS400, but a little sawing and hammering did the trick. I still have to install the ECU chip add-on, but even with the intake alone I can tell a huge difference. Engine has a nice roar now when you step on it.
im in the process of talking with Injen about gettin an intake made, since i didnt feel like hacking up a $450 intake

that and im pretty local.
Old 05-08-07, 07:49 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

What do you guys think of this?:

http://www.luxurymods.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=179

I've also got the swift racing performance. ECM for the GS400 intake. Think I should slap it in? The wiring is a bit different after looking at the GS400 wiring and the LS400 wiring....I think only the colors. Let me know,

-Jason Elcan
Old 05-08-07, 11:03 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

or what do you guys think about this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...QQcmdZViewItem

that one is obviously cheep....but im looking for a little horsepower and a meaner noise. Should I go with the one I posted earlier, OR should I go with something else? And if so, what?

Thanks for all of ur time...i really appreciate it!

-Jason

meow
Old 05-09-07, 12:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
What do you guys think of this?:

http://www.luxurymods.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=179

I've also got the swift racing performance. ECM for the GS400 intake. Think I should slap it in? The wiring is a bit different after looking at the GS400 wiring and the LS400 wiring....I think only the colors. Let me know,

-Jason Elcan
im VERY skeptical on this, JWT ONLY makes stuff for nissan/infinit applications so anything that LM sells is going to be jury rigged off of that, im thinking its no more than a MAF adapter+filter.

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
or what do you guys think about this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...QQcmdZViewItem

that one is obviously cheep....but im looking for a little horsepower and a meaner noise. Should I go with the one I posted earlier, OR should I go with something else? And if so, what?

Thanks for all of ur time...i really appreciate it!

-Jason

meow
cheap crap, spend the $5 on LexKost's mod, you dont need an aftermarket filter, and see if that satisfies u for now.
Old 05-09-07, 07:36 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
im VERY skeptical on this, JWT ONLY makes stuff for nissan/infinit applications so anything that LM sells is going to be jury rigged off of that, im thinking its no more than a MAF adapter+filter.

cheap crap, spend the $5 on LexKost's mod, you dont need an aftermarket filter, and see if that satisfies u for now.
Seriously, do the lexkost mod, and you will love the sound. I sware it gives a little more power as well.
Old 05-09-07, 01:20 PM
Big Steve
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recently did this mod as well, and i was wondering if you guys experienced a "muffled" or studer type sound on the filter when you accelerate on low rpms. i mean, during high rev's it sounds great. but under low rpm's it sounds weak.
Old 05-09-07, 04:19 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Steve
i recently did this mod as well, and i was wondering if you guys experienced a "muffled" or studer type sound on the filter when you accelerate on low rpms. i mean, during high rev's it sounds great. but under low rpm's it sounds weak.
Big Steve, I have only done this on 96LS's your car is different.

But if somebody in Socal wants to come out to Simi Valley I could figure it out . Maybe Puredrifter ?
Old 05-09-07, 04:29 PM
Big Steve
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexkost

But if somebody in Socal wants to come out to Simi Valley I could figure it out . Maybe Puredrifter ?
if only i had the time...
Old 05-09-07, 04:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Lexkost

if injen doesnt pull through il hit u up during the summer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Intake Mod + ECT Reprogram = Power