LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Suspension. . . Need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 09:15 AM
Lextreme90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension. . . Need your help!

OK guys, I am ready to purchase my new suspension but I still don't have a clear decision as to what combination I should go with. I have researched the you know what out of this and I am not sure which I should or shouldn't purchase.

I have an 1990 LS4. My wheels are in today. They are 18x7.5 with 45mm offset. I am putting 225/40zr18 on them. I am wanting to bring the car down 1-1.5 inches. I don't want it too low. I don't want to have to roll the fenders or anything like that. I would like to have a somewhat decent ride still.

I was leaning toward the Eibach springs but now I am confused as to what would work best for me. I have heard good and bad things about all the brands but I have not found that one stands out more than the others.

I think I am going to go with the Tokico shocks. The feedback I have had and read so far these seems to be decent.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 04-25-06, 09:21 AM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I will be selling my cali custom springs very soon, let me know if you're interested.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210924
Old 04-25-06, 09:49 AM
Lextreme90
Driver School Candidate

Can I ask why you are selling them? Did you install them with stock shocks or aftermarket? How is the ride.

The height does not look like a 2" drop.

Anyone else running these springs that could comment on the ride and performance?
Old 04-25-06, 10:24 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

I had KYB shocks on stock springs on my 90 LS, before I switched over to JIC's....

The KYB's rode very nice and almost stock like...I didnt even know I had KYB's until I took them out ...lol
Old 04-25-06, 01:04 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I have tokico hp shocks with these. i don't know the exact drop, but it's 1.x" i had a message from a member who has the same set up. he said this about them:

"Many of you a few months back wanted my review of the California Custom lowering springs for the 1st Gen LS 400's. Here you go:

Back in May I purchased the Tokico gas shocks and California Custom 2" drop lowering springs for my 1991 LS 400 through E-Bay, and I must admit, the ride quality is EXCELLENT! Don't let the 2" drop scare you. The car sits very nicely above all tires. There's still about 1.5" to 2" of space in between each tire and wheel well. Then again, I still have the stock 15" rims. But I'm sure even when I get 19" or 20" rims it will still sit nicely above each rim and tire.

I was so surprised to find out that I almost couldn't tell the difference in feel between the Tokico shocks + California Custom lowering springs setup versus the stock setup. I can feel a LITTLE more stiffness when going over bumps in the road but it's still not bad at all. My girl honestly can't tell the difference."

Hope this helps some. Since you want a drop, but not a huge drop, this might work out great.

Originally Posted by Lextreme90
Can I ask why you are selling them? Did you install them with stock shocks or aftermarket? How is the ride.

The height does not look like a 2" drop.

Anyone else running these springs that could comment on the ride and performance?
Old 04-27-06, 07:55 AM
Lextreme90
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering why you are selling them so soon? What about them don't you like?

I am leaning toward the Tanabe/KYB combo but am considering the Cali Customs.

Does anyone know for sure that you get a full 2" drop from the California Customs springs and are you still able to adjust camber without any mods?
Old 04-27-06, 12:04 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

i'm selling because i going to use the stock springs. These springs are great, especially for the money, but the driveway at home is too steep and i would like to park on there instead of parking 1-2 blocks away from home.
Old 04-28-06, 12:54 PM
Lextreme90
Driver School Candidate

Default Discouraged!

Well I have (thought i had) narrowed it down to the Tanabe springs or the California Customs Springs.

The problem is that while researching the Tanabe springs the rated drop is not consistant. Half the sites say that the DF210's (TDF076) for the 1990-1994 LS400 have a 1.5" drop in the front and only 1" in the rear. The other half of the sites state 1.8" in the front and 1.3" in the rear. Then I have come across a couple sites that show 2" in the front and 1.8" in the rear. So which is it?

Now for the California Customs springs. First off there is no way to contact the manufacturer. In fact it appears that they don't even exist anymore. So that kind of worries me. During my research I find that many of the people who have installed the springs may be happy with the ride but state that the car actually only dropped maybe an inch if that.

So still not sure which way to go. Too many uncertainties on both sides. I am looking for around a 2" drop. From the info found above, I can't determine if either of these will get close to what I am trying to accomplish.

Anyone????
Old 04-28-06, 01:55 PM
Lextreme90
Driver School Candidate

Default More Info. . . .

OK I have found out a couple more things.

According to Tanabe the drop for the UCF10 is 1.8" in front and 1.3" in the rear. Who knows how close this really is but at least I now know what the manufacturer specs state.

I am sure this is probably common knowledge but I took me a while to find this out. California Custom went out of business around 1999. They were bought out buy a company called Trader's (truck parts). When Trader's purchased them they had a few skids of auto springs still left over. From what I have learned there are still some auto springs left. I am not sure if they still have any Lexus springs but I do know the still have Infinity springs. One of the Infinty forums currently has worked out a group buy from Trader's for the Infinity springs.

Anyway I just wanted to share my findings in case anyone else had the same questions.
Old 04-30-06, 10:12 AM
Lextreme90
Driver School Candidate

KilaW,

I sent you a PM.
Old 04-30-06, 10:51 AM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

pm replied
Old 04-30-06, 11:02 AM
Phucanese
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lextreme90
OK I have found out a couple more things.

According to Tanabe the drop for the UCF10 is 1.8" in front and 1.3" in the rear. Who knows how close this really is but at least I now know what the manufacturer specs state.

Anyway I just wanted to share my findings in case anyone else had the same questions.
those numbers are prolly correct if you put them on stock shocks.
but with aftermarket shocks (tokico, kyb) it will probably be more like 2" f and 1.6" r.
i think it is perfect if you are going to upgrade to 18s or 19s.
the wheels will sit nice and flush with little to no fender gap.
Old 04-30-06, 11:22 AM
Lextreme90
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Phucanese
those numbers are prolly correct if you put them on stock shocks.
but with aftermarket shocks (tokico, kyb) it will probably be more like 2" f and 1.6" r.
i think it is perfect if you are going to upgrade to 18s or 19s.
the wheels will sit nice and flush with little to no fender gap.
Do you have the Tanabe springs?

I currently have about a 2.5" gap in the front and slightly more in the rear. I am on stock shocks/struts. I do have 18" wheels and 225/40's. I ordered KYB's last week and I am trying to decide which springs are going to help take up that gap.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-04-06, 12:54 PM
Phucanese
Rookie

yes, that are the tanabes.
i dunno, it looks like more than 2inches tho.
i should have measured before and after.
heres a quick picture:

ive got 18" wheels waiting for some stickie tires to be mounted on them.
where in oregon are you? i live in vancouver wa, go to portland about everyday.
Old 05-04-06, 01:05 PM
Lextreme90
Driver School Candidate

I am installing Tanabe's and KYB's tomorrow. I will measure before and after to get an idea of true drop. Yeah yours definately looks like more than 2". The others I have seen does not seem to look like that.

I live in the O.C. (Oregon City) My GF lives in Vancouver.

Thanks for the pic.

Quick Reply: Suspension. . . Need your help!