LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 performance difference from year to year...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 05:32 PM
elenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 performance difference from year to year...

I was just wondering because I've never driven any of the 1995-2000 model LS400s. I own a 1992 right now and I'm pretty dissatisfied with the performance. I'm actually about to sale the car due to it being such a gas guzzler, its just ridiculous. However I'm thinking about buying another one in a few years, but I'm not sure about how the 1995+ models perform. I just know the acceleration in mine is really sluggish for such a powerful car. Plus the handling isn't that impressive either. I've driven an 01 LS430...pretty impressive, it does accelerate a little swifter than mine anyway. But is there a major improvement in performance in the Gen. 2 models over the Gen. 1's? If not...I think I may have to go with a GS next time...I'm just in love with the styling of the LS so I naturally prefer that.
Old 04-23-06, 05:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

whoever said that the 1g LS400 was a powerful car?

and do a search on it, theres tons of model guides on the forum.

www.lexls.com has one too.
Old 04-23-06, 10:34 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Each generation has the technological improvements that enhance overall performance. Back in the day, the LS4 was putting down some good numbers. By today's standards, it isn't anything to wow over. The current crop of 4 cyl Camrys let alone the 6 will give the LS a run and may surprise. That said, the LS does well for itself regardless of what the other cars can do.

If getting on the fwy is a challenge and seeing the grill of a 16 wheeler on your butt is an experience to not have, it may be time to let the aging LS go. Safety aside which is a good reason to update, the performance you will get in a contemporary car doing the 1/4 is maybe 2-4 seconds over your current car. (Presuming optimal conditions and factory spec.) It you feel better in a car that has better accelleration and amenities, I'd say

I was bythe Toyota dealer last week and the new Camry is a pretty nice looking car. Dunno how it drives and I'm not a fan of FWD but that aside, my impression of it was favorable. Same with the Avalon...
Old 04-24-06, 09:23 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

not to be too disloyal to lexus, if you really want performance in a large car, look at the infinity q45. these things are rockets compared to the ls. i decided i did not want a ticket every few weeks, and that i wanted the plusher ride. also, the back seat in the q45 is a lot poorer than in the ls. so it is a much better family car.
Old 04-24-06, 12:04 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by denverdog
not to be too disloyal to lexus, if you really want performance in a large car, look at the infinity q45. these things are rockets compared to the ls. i decided i did not want a ticket every few weeks, and that i wanted the plusher ride. also, the back seat in the q45 is a lot poorer than in the ls. so it is a much better family car.
Actually, while the Q45 has more HP, according to magazine tests, the LS out accelerated its Infiniti cousin. I think my LS does very well for itself comparing to other cars on the road. Try driving a 98+.
Old 04-24-06, 12:17 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by denverdog
Car & Driver compared 1/4 mile acceleration for 1st generation: LS400 = 16.3 secs, Q45 = 15.8 secs. Q was faster than LS but I wouldn't call Q a rocket.
Old 04-24-06, 03:01 PM
elenz
Driver School Candidate

yeah thanks for the advice and all, that does help and thats true what you said about the current camrys being basically the same as the LS except modernized. I'm just stuck on the fact that its a Lexus and I can't see downgrading to a Camry you know...I just have to look past that.
Actually, for the time being...probably the next 2-3 years, I'm looking at a really nice 98 Nissan Maxima. Its loaded with all the features, plus its a stick shift which should satisfy my craving for a more performance-oriented car. I think it will be a moderately easy transition from the LS...its still a pretty big car, stylish, quick (quicker), and again...it just has that nice, big japanese sedan feel to it. It will hold me over until I can get my next Lexus. I'm hoping for a 98+GS, 02+ES, or any other Gen2 or higher LS.
Old 04-24-06, 05:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Actually, while the Q45 has more HP, according to magazine tests, the LS out accelerated its Infiniti cousin. I think my LS does very well for itself comparing to other cars on the road. Try driving a 98+.
The '05 F50 brochure lists it at 4050#'s. The '05 UCF31 brochure list the base at 3990#'s. I think the HP is balanced by the nice tranny that is in the LS's. The '98-'00's with the VVti makes a difference and coming in at ~$12-$18K there are enough to choose from. The GS3's are also nice but having talked with GSXOTIC he commented more favorably toward the V-8 over the I-6.

The Maxima was a FWD consideration a spell back but the poor frontal impact tests quickly took it from thought. The cabin intrusion at the foot well bothered me...for years they tested poorly in this area.

IMO, I'd stick with the LS's.
Old 04-24-06, 07:11 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The otehr aspect is finding a car that will get reasonable MPG. Relative for sure but I'd be looking for a car that is close to 30 MPG. This past weekend, I stayed home and did house chores instead of driving out for some frivolous entertainment.
Old 04-25-06, 09:00 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

regarding miles per gallon, there was an article in the paper recently that the epa does not actually test cars and measure actual mileage, even on a closed track. they use formulas and estimates to come up with their mileage ratings.

the consumer guide site reviews cars and they give actual mileage results for the cars and drivetrains they test. you might look there for some more "real world" information.
Old 04-25-06, 07:11 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

In its day, the gen 1/ series 1 (90-92) LS400 was a real "screamer". In the early 90's there were very few four door passenger cars that could do 0-60 mph in 8 seconds. Fuel consumption of the early LS400 is not all that different from that of the later LS400's or of LS430's - maybe 1-3 mpg less.

About the worst mileage I got in my 90 LS was about 15 mpg in city driving. The past few weeks I have been getting about 16 mpg in my 00 LS in city (stop and go) driving where I rarely exceed 45 mph.

Are you really keeping track of your gas mileage? It is not enough to compute mileage on a single tank of gas. To get an accurate reading, one must compute gas mileage over at least several tank fulls.
Old 04-25-06, 08:24 PM
clean95
Driver School Candidate

when people say LS's are slugish i say yes0-60, but get it in a rolling start above 80 and say say kiss my ***!!!!! this thing pulls hard and doesnt stop, i stopped at 130mph cause i dont trustt my tires that much but this car will easily hit 150 mph, so when people say ur cars slow i say " well super cars dont like playing below 190 kph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah baby!!!!
Old 04-27-06, 02:15 PM
elenz
Driver School Candidate

Ok, thanks for all the info. Its great to know, I really do love every aspect of the LS400 so I do think I'll probably get another one when this one wears out. I have calculated my mileage through many tanks...I always get between 17-20 mpg in the city. Good? Oh and the last guy, Clean95, I agree...I never really thought about it like that, but yeah haha thats true about super cars. I have suckers think they're hot because they can outrun my car in a drag race in their Integras and crap...but yeah I have to say, when I'm cruising in the back country roads around 80, passing is effortless...and it just seems to have endless power.
Old 04-29-06, 05:26 AM
RUDENESS
Pole Position

I dont know about you guys but my 91 LS400 still kcks *** with 199.000 miles on it, the secret to these cars is that you dont beat up on them everyday and all the ime, every green light is NOT the start of a race......another thing, its a LUXURY car not a RACE car...
Old 04-29-06, 04:40 PM
panos
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

elenz, I suggest that you do a careful fillup, then 100+ miles of freeway trip between 60-75 mph and refuel. If the mpg is north of 24 then, your car is like in good tune, else it is time for spark plugs, decarbonation, etc.

I am a licensed race driver and a modified Miata is my barely streetable race car. My 94 LS is surprisingly quick, within fairly legal bounds. Put ECT on and overdrive off in the twisties, and you can surprise 99% of the drivers there, IF you know what you are doing....

MPG-wise, the LS gives me 16 and the Forester XT 15 on identical commuter use.

Quick Reply: LS400 performance difference from year to year...