LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Door locks, Remote key, Seat comfort memory

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 10:42 PM
dglcml
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door locks, Remote key, Seat comfort memory

I have just purchased a 1998 LS 400 and have just discovered that the doors will not electrically lock or unlock using the rocker on the door panel without the key on. At the same time, the remote doesn't work at all, for anything.

Using the key in the door will open the door that the key is in but you have actually get in the car, turn the key on or start the car to be able to open the door for passengers, Unless you are a gentleman and walk around the car first.

Tthe driverseat adjustment memory buttons will only remember programmed seat position for a minute or two after you turn the ignition key off,

the LCD display on the rear passenger air conditioner\radio control does not come on even though all the controls seem to work fine.

When you place the key in the ignition the security light does go off

Otherwise the car appears to be in good shape.

Any Ideas what I'm up against?
Old 03-11-06, 11:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Some possibilirties to begin testing: door ECU, multiplex communication circuit, body ECU or wiring harness.

Unlock the car from the passenger side, this should open all door locks.

With key in the driver door, and held in the unlock position, does the window come down? Conversely, with it held the lock position, does the window come up now?

Was, is the remote programmed/recognized by the car? If not there are programming instructions available by doing a search in this section for the procedure.
Old 03-12-06, 12:25 AM
dglcml
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thanks for the reply. I'm a diehard Lexus fan and currently have three Lexus vehicles. An ES300 a SC400 and my newest addtion the 98 LS400. It's a beautiful car but it's a little dishearting to drive a new acquisition home only to discover things that don't work that was not previously noticed.
I haven't tried the passenger side unlock with a key, so will head outside and try it now, but I can't get to the program key routine as the power door rocker can't be actuated with the key off. Only when the key is on or the car is running.
Old 03-12-06, 12:46 AM
dglcml
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Welcome to CL.

Some possibilirties to begin testing: door ECU, multiplex communication circuit, body ECU or wiring harness.
I will have to do some research to find out where these units are and how to test them.

Unlock the car from the passenger side, this should open all door locks.
Tried the key in the passenger door but only the passenger door opens and locks.

With key in the driver door, and held in the unlock position, does the window come down? Conversely, with it held the lock position, does the window come up now?
The only action I get is the door locks and unlocks. I also tried actuating the window with the power switch but once again, it only works with the key in the on position.

Was, is the remote programmed/recognized by the car? If not there are programming instructions available by doing a search in this section for the procedure.
Can't get to programming mode as the doors won't lock or unlock without key in ignition.

Is there a good way to check out the ecu's? Where is it?
Old 03-12-06, 10:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

from what i remember the door ecu's are inside the doors themselves.
Old 03-12-06, 06:19 PM
dglcml
Driver School Candidate

Where might one find electrical schematics or tech manuals on the LS400? There doesn't appear to a lot of online info about the problem that I'm experiencing.
Old 03-13-06, 12:34 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Do you have a history on the car?

Could be simple as an unplugged/failed connection at some location...a mass failure of the door locking system seems rare. I'd suggest taking the car in to be diagnosed.
Old 03-13-06, 03:05 PM
dglcml
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for that input. I was just trying to get a feel for what I might be up against before having to spend a chunk of money at Lexus service.
I would still love to get my hands on service manuals and schematics for this car. Does anyone know where or if they are available?
Old 03-24-06, 03:32 AM
dglcml
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Just thought I would report back as to the cause of the problem. The body ECU was only getting power when the Ignition key was turned on. There was a wire loose under the fuse box where it connects to the fuse terminal, causing the body ECU to loose sustaining standby power. All is now working.
Fortunately, it was an inexpensive repair.

Ya....Hoo, it's about time I had a win this week!
The following users liked this post:
kelleher2 (12-05-18)