LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

any ideas about wheels for an LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-06, 08:50 AM
Mr.LS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any ideas about wheels for an LS400

Hi guys... i own a 98 LS400 and im trying to look for nice wheels for my car. I thought about WALD but i dont really know how much it cost for 19" or 20". If any of you know about other whleels which will be really helpful. by the way, my car's color is light green. thanks
Old 03-03-06, 12:51 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

have a look here:

http://www.d2autosport.com/wald.html

The seller is also a Club Lexus vendor, so you might cut you a good deal. Email him for any questions. Wald should set you back (depending on wheel type) $3-$7K.
Old 03-03-06, 02:10 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks Grand for the shout out, but yeah I have some ideas. PM me if you want

BTW we have the same car

Last edited by Stefwilli; 03-03-06 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-26-06, 10:19 PM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr.LS400
Hi guys... i own a 98 LS400 and im trying to look for nice wheels for my car. I thought about WALD but i dont really know how much it cost for 19" or 20". If any of you know about other whleels which will be really helpful. by the way, my car's color is light green. thanks
Do you really want to put wheels that big on a LS400? It is my feeling that anything over
17" overpowers the entire car so that all you see is those gigantic wheels. They will also
make you use tires with no sidewalls to absorb any bumps in the road, and all that extra work
will be relayed into the suspension system. That will be the end of the great ride Lexus has
engineered into the car. By the way, just look at other cars with those oversize wheels
before you spend your last buck on them. You'll see what I mean.
Old 03-27-06, 01:23 AM
Bigkahuna
Rookie

I presonally have 18's on my '98 I feel they are small. I want to go up to 19 or 20. I can feel bumps already, but my stock struts are old already and need to be replace this year. So I can assume my ride would be about same as it is now with 20s and new struts.
Old 03-27-06, 01:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by vinegaroon
Do you really want to put wheels that big on a LS400? It is my feeling that anything over
17" overpowers the entire car so that all you see is those gigantic wheels. They will also
make you use tires with no sidewalls to absorb any bumps in the road, and all that extra work
will be relayed into the suspension system. That will be the end of the great ride Lexus has
engineered into the car. By the way, just look at other cars with those oversize wheels
before you spend your last buck on them. You'll see what I mean.
you do realize that the LS430's have 18" wheels as a factory option....
Old 03-27-06, 06:38 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you do realize that the LS430's have 18" wheels as a factory option....
I guess it depends on how blingy you want to go. I'm not a fan of huge wheels for this car. I've got 18s on mine and I wouldn't go larger:
http://gallery.brianandfabi.com/myls...anging_Out_019
Old 03-27-06, 02:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

As discussed 19's IMO are a nice choice for wheels. When upgrading to a plus combo, it is going to add stresses to the suspension and it may bring out those worn areas quickly. Wheels are subjective so as long as it makes you happy, I'd go with it.

I've been thinking of some new wheels: maybe a mesh type but I have been eyeing the Fabulous MB-5's (Face -2) in a 19. I've also liked the Wald Strieffen's...five spokes just get me.
Old 03-28-06, 10:33 PM
95lexus
Driver School Candidate

Cool

If you are looking for a great look, try putting on the 04 oem lexus rims. They are available at Victoria trire in California. I put them on my 95 Ls and had compliments all the time. Every time I visited the dealer, people would come up to the car and ask what year it was. The 17 inch six spoke looks sleek with the lower wider profile of the 2nd gens. I recently purchased an 04 witht the same wheels and somehow they do not look as good on the 04.

Please keep in mind that anything larger than 17's is going to degrade the ride substantially. I felt the degrade in ride quality even though I put michelins mxv4 v rated on those rims, and my 95 had new shocks, bushing, strut rods etc. Something else to consider is the fact that unless you purchase expensive aftermarket wheels, the quality is not that great. I've seen plenty of friends with aftermarket wheels that bend easily. The Ls weighs 4000lbs and larger rims means less rubber between the rim and the potholes.
Old 03-29-06, 09:09 AM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Default Lexus wheels

Thanks for your reply. This post must be about 18 months old, because back then I did get
a set of OEM 16" chrome seven -spoke wheels from some other Lexus model. The individual
spokes are about 1 1/2 wide and the wheels have the lug nuts covered with a 6" cap. They
look very nice when the car is moving. I agree with you on the diameter of replacement
wheels and tires. Seventeen inches is the maximim that I think looks good on the car; any-
thing bigger swallows the car and also has very little shock-absorbing capacity. So many
people put gigantic wheels on vehicles and don't seem to notice the vehicle is totally over-
whelmed by those wheels. Bad eye, or bad taste I guess. I have seen a car with 17" wheels,
and I would like to have that size when these tires wear out. I'm also going to see what
215/60/16s look like. I think 225s are pretty big looking on my LS. 205s were used on the
'92s (which were 15") and surely the car weighted about the same. We'll see. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-06, 11:13 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Too big????

Thanks for your reply. This post must be about 18 months old, because back then I did get
a set of OEM 16" chrome seven -spoke wheels from some other Lexus model. The individual
spokes are about 1 1/2 wide and the wheels have the lug nuts covered with a 6" cap. They
look very nice when the car is moving. I agree with you on the diameter of replacement
wheels and tires. Seventeen inches is the maximim that I think looks good on the car; any-
thing bigger swallows the car and also has very little shock-absorbing capacity. So many
people put gigantic wheels on vehicles and don't seem to notice the vehicle is totally over-
whelmed by those wheels. Bad eye, or bad taste I guess. I have seen a car with 17" wheels,
and I would like to have that size when these tires wear out. I'm also going to see what
215/60/16s look like. I think 225s are pretty big looking on my LS. 205s were used on the
'92s (which were 15") and surely the car weighted about the same. We'll see. Thanks again.
My car is a 92 sitting on 225/60/16's. The ride quality is good and it actually corners a little better since it is a slightly wider tire. Right now you are seeing that size on my car with a 1" drop courtesy of H&R lowering springs. Still a good ride, however for me, drop with that size tire not really good for my area. Tires scrub the upper wheel wells over large bumps. Other than that no problems. Am looking to get coilover suspension by JIC.(www.JICmagic.com). To save, to save, it's off to work I slave.........
Attached Thumbnails any ideas about wheels for an LS400-102_0498-medium-.jpg  
Old 03-30-06, 11:47 AM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Default Lexus wheels

Thanks for replying. I guess these threads stay in the forum forever. I got Lexus 7-spoke
chrome wheels about 18 months ago, but you did answer a question that I have wondered
about. That was about using 16" wheels on a 15" car. It seems that they are a little less
than a perfect fit. I wondered about putting my wheels on a '92 (I like the engine performance
on pre-'93 cars) if I should get one. Thanks
Old 03-31-06, 06:21 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for replying. I guess these threads stay in the forum forever. I got Lexus 7-spoke
chrome wheels about 18 months ago, but you did answer a question that I have wondered
about. That was about using 16" wheels on a 15" car. It seems that they are a little less
than a perfect fit. I wondered about putting my wheels on a '92 (I like the engine performance
on pre-'93 cars) if I should get one. Thanks
At stock height, that tire size was absolutely beautiful for this car; even cornered more aggressively due to wide tread. Was only when I installed H&R springs and dropped 1" in height did my problem start, and really it only rubs the top of the wheel wells over extremely large bumps. I would say that if you plan to keep the other 2 cars at stock height, then that size tire is great. At stock height, never had one problem with rubbing anywhere and if gives the car a lowered look without having to spend the money for it and you get better traction and more rubber under the rim. But I got greedy and dropped the doggone thing and now, I just have to be a little more conscious over large bumps and dips. even at 1" lower height. rub is at an absolute minimal. this was the pic I posted above. About to put 18" Lowenhardt LDR rims on car as soon as I replace bushings and buy tires.
Old 01-07-24, 01:53 PM
delgatoes
2nd gear

Love the wheels. What wheels/specs are they?
Old 01-07-24, 01:56 PM
delgatoes
2nd gear

Talking

Originally Posted by Stefwilli
Hey thanks Grand for the shout out, but yeah I have some ideas. PM me if you want

BTW we have the same car

what wheels/specs are they? they look beautiful 0_0

Quick Reply: any ideas about wheels for an LS400