LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

headlight leveling system

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 10:23 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

SHA the rear sensor is located on the right rear wheel.
There is 3 control arms connecting the rear hub/wheel to the car.
2 run parallel to the drive shafts and 1 runs forward to to hold the axis.
Of the 2 arms parallel the front arm has the 3inch hook with a small square box with a arm holding onto the arm.
Here is a some pics from an IS but it is similar to all Toyota's with levelling. Just look at the front arm of the right rear wheel.

If you need more help ,let me know.BTW what do you mean you " but i just click the button and learn to live with it."

Pure i have not had any problems with my rear lights. The only problem was a filament that got broken from the bass and would act up every so often. I changed the bulbs and i have no more problems since.
Old 09-07-06, 01:48 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think he means the function button. To take off the message.
Old 09-08-06, 03:38 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I think he means the function button. To take off the message.
what grand said SK
Old 09-09-06, 01:20 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the rear sensor and front sensor both arms are veritcal no bends and I didnt see a mark that the sensor has moved, So my question is do you know how many volts the motors take. I am just going to meter it,most likely its the motor or a gear.
Old 09-09-06, 09:13 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skperformance
In case this can help someone.
The Lexus manuals are useless for this problem.
There are 2 motors which consist of each headlight adjustment.
There are only 2 sensors which are located on both right front and rear lower control arms. They have a large "n"looking hoop to allow the sensor to be adjusted up and down.
The arms usually bend and need to be straightened out every so often to work properly. The front sensor never needs adjusting so leave it alone.
When the car is started it turns the system to do a check and raises the lights to max up and down position before leveling out. If you get a "headlight malfunction on your readout after driving for a few meters and have an ABS light it is because the ABS light is on and disrupting the system. Fix the sensor and it will disappear. If you disconnected the arm and left it hanging it still would not trigger a fault on the ecu for having no change in output.

How do i know these things?
I bought my car and noticed the rear sensor was hanging. No issues with it not working except blinding oncoming traffic. Fixed it 3 times by welding it ,but it kept snapping off for some reason of torsional pressures.
Had my car worked on by the dealer and they broke a ABS sensor which threw my headlight sensor on also. Could not figure it out for weeks as i waited for the sensor to be installed. Realigned the arm and no change. As soon as the sensor was fixed the light disappeared .
I am now a sane man again with no dash lights.
SK, You state lights move up to max before leveling, I checked tonight and both lights move, but they go down then level out, are they hooked up backwards? Can you even plug them in backwards?
Old 09-10-06, 12:49 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by PVSLS400
SK, You state lights move up to max before leveling, I checked tonight and both lights move, but they go down then level out, are they hooked up backwards? Can you even plug them in backwards?
Mine moves down. They move down on all the Lexus' I know. Might be SK's thats upside down.
Old 09-10-06, 10:55 AM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Mine moves down. They move down on all the Lexus' I know. Might be SK's thats upside down.
well then I am stumped why I have a error message then, No ABS warning that I know of no codes in ECU. I guess i will have to live with the message and just hit function to get gone! Thanks Guys!!
Old 09-10-06, 10:24 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Does you ABS light turn on at start up in case the bulb is burnt?
Disconnect the bolt and move the rear sensor up and down to see that is moves on a wall.
Old 09-15-06, 09:25 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Yes ABS lights up at startup but turns off Normaly. I used my TCCS diag and ABS is clear no codes no trouble. I will losen up sensor and see if it moves. Thanks for all youre help
BTW are you running 18's or 20's looks good
Old 09-15-06, 11:30 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

My lights could go down then up ,i can't remember.
The TCCS does not diag this system in any way.
The only thing i can think of is trying to get the rear sensor to register the movements on a wall.
Old 09-16-06, 11:38 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by PVSLS400
Yes ABS lights up at startup but turns off Normaly. I used my TCCS diag and ABS is clear no codes no trouble. I will losen up sensor and see if it moves. Thanks for all youre help
BTW are you running 18's or 20's looks good
20's......
Old 09-16-06, 11:46 AM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skperformance
Does you ABS light turn on at start up in case the bulb is burnt?
Disconnect the bolt and move the rear sensor up and down to see that is moves on a wall.
I losened up nut on sensor arm, and can freely adjust sensor up and down but no headlight movement. Must be sensor. Any info on sensor itself?
Old 09-17-06, 10:14 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

im still here also and still stumped
Old 09-17-06, 01:36 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Sha Did you try moving sensor? I need Tec specs on sensor if its a open closed system, or ohms so i and meter it to come to the conclusion if sensor is bad. I traced wire into trunk , But no luck tracing from there due to the massive subs in the trunk. I will get to the bottom of this sooner or later.
Old 09-19-06, 11:28 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

If your headlights don't calibrate on startup it will have nothing to do with the sensors as they are not in use yet. Either the headlight control ecu/motor on the headlights are damaged or the main control unit. You could have no readings from the sensors and the system would still activate.

Quick Reply: headlight leveling system