LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 diff. LSD or not

Old 01-05-06, 05:30 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LS400 diff. LSD or not

What year LS400's had lsd diffs if any?
Thanks
Old 01-05-06, 07:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Search pls. this is a heavily debated topic with no 100% positive answer. i believe that currently the general concensus is that no Lexus came from the factory with an LSD except for the IS which had it as an option.
Old 01-05-06, 09:01 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did search... But thanks for answering my question.
Old 01-06-06, 08:46 AM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although a newbie to the LS400 world, I have a simple test:

Turn off VSC (if you got it) put it in 1st, lay some scratch.

1 strip = not lsd
2 strips = lsd

At least that is how I understand limited slip.
Old 01-06-06, 09:02 AM
Lvangundy

Jerm, that's the general concept, but the LS400 never came with an LSD - this is quoted straight from Lexus corporate.

Most owners here have found however, that the LS400 does seem to act as if it does have an LSD.

Personally I don't believe it does after driving a GS with a Torsen LSD, it just feels different.

There are a few old theories, i.e. maybe the gears have seized together over time (JBrady) but then this would affect normal turning and driving..

I don't think anyone knows why it lays down 2 strips of rubber, my guess is the weight of the car.
Old 01-06-06, 09:30 AM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Again, I say this is the most civilized forum I've seen. If I had said something like this in one of the many honda forums....FLAME ON!

Thanks for the gentle clarification, Lvangudy.

Would there be much of a difference then if the weight of the car is spinning both wheels? I mean, it might not make a difference if you had one.

That being said, could you describe the difference with the GS?
Old 01-06-06, 09:41 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

he was talking about a MODDED GS, one with an LSD fitted, most likely from a supra or perhaps the RMM piece. if uve ever seen a pic of an LS burning out ul notice that BOTH wheels spin, and leave tire marks. no one really knows why/how it does that w/.o an LSD but we'r all pretty sure it doesnt have one. this is esp aparent if uve ever tried to donut ur car, you will FEEL the inner wheel break loose first.
Old 01-06-06, 12:17 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
he was talking about a MODDED GS, one with an LSD fitted, most likely from a supra or perhaps the RMM piece. if uve ever seen a pic of an LS burning out ul notice that BOTH wheels spin, and leave tire marks. no one really knows why/how it does that w/.o an LSD but we'r all pretty sure it doesnt have one. this is esp aparent if uve ever tried to donut ur car, you will FEEL the inner wheel break loose first.
As above the only Lexus car with LSD was the IS300. Some older LS and SCs and possibly (I haven't seen yet) GSs and even some Supras without LSD will power both tires just LIKE an LSD. The solution I propose is that the space between the spider gears and the carrier housing INSIDE the diff wear and create friction. This creates the LSD effect even without LSD.

The way a clutch type LSD works is to bind the spider gears with tension with clutch plates between the spider gears and the carrier. In a turn the tension is overcome, the clutch plates slip and the tires rotate at different speeds according to the differential action. Hence the name LIMITED SLIP.

Most people do not realize that an open differential powers BOTH tires UNLESS one looses traction and then ALL the torque goes the the side without traction. It doesn't take too much binding to keep the power to both tires. This is how some older Lexus LS and SCs will mimick LSD.
Old 01-06-06, 12:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Is there a listing of differential codes out there?
Old 01-08-06, 01:58 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WTF ........why super size the text?
LSD's are nice if you need to go straight a lot but not if you have vsc/trac.
The 2 coupled together when accelerating from a stop on a right hand turn at an intersection kicks in the vsc and beings the car to a accident waiting to happen as the throttle is suppressed to stop wheel spin cause by the LSD. Reason why so many with the LSD on the IS turn off vsc and end up forgetting to turn it on again and curb there cars. It is a quite common occurrence and annoying to try accelerating to merge into traffic and lose all power
Old 01-08-06, 03:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

thankfully only u UCF21 guys have to worry bout VSC i dont even have trac x.x

makes the car a bit of a pain to drive in the wet tho.
Old 01-08-06, 03:20 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
thankfully only u UCF21 guys have to worry bout VSC i dont even have trac x.x

makes the car a bit of a pain to drive in the wet tho.
It can be a big pain when you want to murge into traffic.
Old 01-08-06, 10:21 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Puredraft,
i would have the option of turning off the track and vsc if i wanted to . So it is a problem of the 2 systems working together. I love vsc and traci , i am sure it is saving me at least $100 a year in tires for premature wear from slipping.
Before i have a time to react in the wet from too much gas and sideways motions i get the bell ringing and it straightens out in the wet. SO yet i again i love the system for its simplicity. I only which Lexus would have realised the inner outer wheel spin ratios on an LSD equipped car and made the trac/vsc allow some slippage up to 20km with a inner /outer difference of 30% to allow a turn under throttle.
Old 08-27-06, 07:56 PM
CELICA XX
Rookie

Originally Posted by jbrady
As above the only Lexus car with LSD was the IS300. Some older LS and SCs and possibly (I haven't seen yet) GSs and even some Supras without LSD will power both tires just LIKE an LSD. The solution I propose is that the space between the spider gears and the carrier housing INSIDE the diff wear and create friction. This creates the LSD effect even without LSD.

The way a clutch type LSD works is to bind the spider gears with tension with clutch plates between the spider gears and the carrier. In a turn the tension is overcome, the clutch plates slip and the tires rotate at different speeds according to the differential action. Hence the name LIMITED SLIP.

Most people do not realize that an open differential powers BOTH tires UNLESS one looses traction and then ALL the torque goes the the side without traction. It doesn't take too much binding to keep the power to both tires. This is how some older Lexus LS and SCs will mimick LSD.
Can you explain this better to an idiot (me)

I've been stuck so many times in my 93 LS, on the ice... only one wheel spinning.

What's the deal ?
Old 08-27-06, 10:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential1.htm
read that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS400 diff. LSD or not