LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 power steering leak continues '90

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 11:57 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by damon
...BTW, the ingestation of PS Fluid into the intake would not damage your engine.
Yeah, but it does make our 40k dollar LS's look like Yugos burning smoke. Not to mention the dripping on your alternator for an extended period of time will kill it.

Plus all that garbage gumming up the intake has got to slow the air down a bit when it enters the manifolds.
Old 11-16-06, 02:14 PM
Lexushead
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post update: My PS leaks is accelerating since I last posted. I see lots of fluid on the floor but no white smoke at the tail pipes. I might have to check into that Idle Control Valve.
Old 11-16-06, 03:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

check high pressure line.
Old 11-20-06, 03:58 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just snipped the vacuum lines and plugged them. i want to see if this limits the PS ingestion into the Intake to reduce the smoke. I also want to see if this stop the disappearing fluid.

Over the Long weekend I will get that 14x1.5 bolt and replug it with a gasket.
Old 11-30-06, 01:07 PM
pito
Lead Lap

Okay fellas here's the scoop.

I noticed a loss of power steering fluid and too much damn smoke out my tail pipes in the morning or whenever the car sat for a period of time. Well after reading here I decided that the Idle Up valve for the power steering pump was the probable culprit. After many searches I decided to post up my experience so that it would be easier to search for.

I purchased the recommended bolt from autozone and found that it didnt work for me. Well, my crafty mechanic takes the old valve and rips out the metal threaded parts from the rest of the valve. He then welds in some metal with the metal pin at the bottom and made a sealed off valve so to speak. Well after this and capping the two vacuum lines, I have no smoke issues and the idle is as smooth as ever. Me and my LS are now on good terms.
Old 06-01-07, 10:40 AM
Lexushead
Driver

I finally had time to work on the PS over the Memorial Day. I replaced the pump with a rebuilt one. It's still leaking. Damn. Spent the whole day removing and installing and it's still giving me headache.
A few question for those who have done this work on a 1st Gen LS400:
1. What tool and process do you use to remove the high pressure BOLT? I had a hell of a time taking it off. Socket head(flexible or not) won't fit. No room for a wrench.
2. How do you torque the bolt since the torque wrench won't fit? I think this is the area where it is still leaking.
3. Have any of you replaced the return hose? Straight hose or pre-formed? I would assume that the pre-formed would be expensive.

Thanks for you help.
Old 06-03-07, 05:57 PM
lexusnoob
Driver School Candidate

i think i have the same problem as you guys, my power steering fluid was leaking out of my right cv boot i believe.... during this time and up till 2 weeks ago (2 months) it used to blow white smoke out of the exhaust...
is that a problem that it doesnt blow white smoke out anymore ?? mind you i didnt do anything to it except refill it every 2 weeks with ps fluid or STOP LEAK... the thing that bugs me now is the steering is very very loose !! are these problems connected somehow ?? thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-07, 06:37 PM
lexusnoob
Driver School Candidate

no can help ??? please
Old 06-06-07, 05:48 AM
Lexushead
Driver

Update: I finally got the wrench to turn one more click with all the hoses and the reservor off. I think that does it. I pressure wash the underside of the engine and still monitoring any leak underneath.

Lexusnoob, I think the loose steering results from PS Pump leakage. Mine was loose as well and now it's a nice(in control) feels.

Last edited by Lexushead; 06-06-07 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-07-07, 08:55 AM
lexusnoob
Driver School Candidate

so what do you suggest i do ??? i'll pm you ....
Old 02-03-09, 10:19 PM
JsLS400
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by lorenzo816

here is an image of the valve

thanks to
sewell lexus

I yanked mine the other day....

....."Oh! And While I was in there... I yanked that Damn ICV valve out of the Power steering pump. You can reach it from the bottom with a 17mm opened ended wrench. Moving it ever so slowly, it will come out and drop fluid so be ready for it.
Replaced it with a 14 x 1.5 plug and slim gasket from Pep Boys.
Yeah, it idles down when steering is tilt, but who cares? I don't have to spend another $100 on another friggin part. Don't forget to cap the vacuum lines too boys and girls."
since you've plugged it has it gave you any problems? i just bought a first gen and was trying to figure out why it smokes when i start it up so now im going to plug it thanks
Old 02-03-09, 11:01 PM
EUBT
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by pito
Okay fellas here's the scoop.

I noticed a loss of power steering fluid and too much damn smoke out my tail pipes in the morning or whenever the car sat for a period of time. Well after reading here I decided that the Idle Up valve for the power steering pump was the probable culprit. After many searches I decided to post up my experience so that it would be easier to search for.

I purchased the recommended bolt from autozone and found that it didnt work for me. Well, my crafty mechanic takes the old valve and rips out the metal threaded parts from the rest of the valve. He then welds in some metal with the metal pin at the bottom and made a sealed off valve so to speak. Well after this and capping the two vacuum lines, I have no smoke issues and the idle is as smooth as ever. Me and my LS are now on good terms.
Hey pito, just scanning this thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned earlier. Capping the intake will definitely stop the fluid going out the exhaust but may not solve your prob for long. I would check that the p/s screen isn't clogged. Also check all your hoses and clamps, and most certainly, check your solenoid on the rack. A clogged solenoid imo, is the root of all evil when it comes to leaks in the p/s system.
Old 02-27-09, 06:51 PM
thebaum
Driver School Candidate

I have been reading about this idle air control valve and I am a little confused so I would appreciate a little help. My car will start with a jump but dies if it idles. Everything I have read has pointed me to this IAC valve. I read several places that it is under the ps pump and is relatively cheap but some other places say it is a $600 part and located in a completely different place. I have located the part pictured in this thread but just want to see if that is what I am looking for. Thanks for your help

Last edited by thebaum; 02-27-09 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-28-09, 10:27 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got fed up with mine (I think the valve is leaking and its leaking fluid externally), so I poured Lucas PS stop leak in it! Probably a "no-no" and will probably gum it up as some will say, but I dont care anymore. At least it stopped the leak and the cars steering seems to be renewed somehow.... it steers much smoother than before... effortlessly. If it starts leaking again, I guess I will have to replace it. I have talked to two other guys with LS400s that used this and it stopped the leak and they have had no further issues... 30K miles down the road at least. Sure, I would like to have it fixed right, but when money is not there, you have no other choice.... not to mention I have 4 other cars I have to keep up and insure and with the way the economy is, I am holding on to what savings I have left. I just had to shell out $310 to have my fan bearing replaced.... something I had not planned on breaking on this car.

I have always been confused about the entire LS400 PS leak thing. I know that some leak internally through that valve, but never have understood where they actually leak externally (even after reading the 10,000,000 threads on it). It seems like on mine that is the hoses from the pump leaking (near the frame rail), rather than the pump itself, but never have figured out if I could just replace the hose itself without getting a whole new pump. I know these cars are OLD now in the late 2000s, but they started leaking when they were not all that old and it was a design flaw placing the alternator under the PS pump... that was foolish and not necessary.... personally I think a recall should have been issued YEARS ago for them to properly fix these pumps and fix their problems and design some sort of "alternator gaurd" to keep the dang fluid from leaking into the alternator. Its not just a Lexus problem either... many early 90s Toyotas suffered power steering pump leaks. Land Cruisers, Celicas, etc.... BUT they were not designed with the alternators below the PS pumps. My aunt bought a brand new 1990 LS400... by 1997 her PS had started leaking when the car had only 52K miles! Pathetic considering my old 1993 Camry had 215K and no leaks and I have 3 other cars (1988 Mercedes, 1972 Chevrolet and grandmas old 1973 Pontiac) and none leak a drop of PS fluid... or any fluids for that matter.

Mine only leaks when its below 40° and our below 40° mornings are about over, so maybe I will be alright until next winter, especially with the LSL in it.

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 02-28-09 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 01:14 PM
smamas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lorenzo816

here is an image of the valve

thanks to
sewell lexus

I yanked mine the other day....

....."Oh! And While I was in there... I yanked that Damn ICV valve out of the Power steering pump. You can reach it from the bottom with a 17mm opened ended wrench. Moving it ever so slowly, it will come out and drop fluid so be ready for it.
Replaced it with a 14 x 1.5 plug and slim gasket from Pep Boys.
Yeah, it idles down when steering is tilt, but who cares? I don't have to spend another $100 on another friggin part. Don't forget to cap the vacuum lines too boys and girls."
Can any of you guys tell me where to buy the bolt to plug the IAC? I have tried my local HW store, Home Depot, Pep Boys, and none of them have a 14M x 1.5mm. Am I missing something or is this bolt really hard to find?

Thanks all!

Quick Reply: LS400 power steering leak continues '90