LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Blackberry into an LS400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 12:00 AM
CaliGirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Blackberry into an LS400?

Ok, here goes...... I bought my husband a 2000 LS400 for Christmas. It has a portable phone as standard. Yet HE has his Blackberry 7100G which he LIVES on. I would love to find a way to replace the LEXUS portable with his Blackberry. That is to enable him to plug in the blackberry and utilize it thru the car system as the portable once did. Has anyone done this or know where I could get this accomplished? This husband of mine has been driving around in whatever hand-me-down car we have had for all the years we've been together. So now, he deserves this gift. I would like to make it the best it can be for him. I am also looking into installing XM radio.

Thank you!
Old 12-21-05, 05:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

CaliGirl,

There is no way to integrate / replace the OEM phone with the blackberry that I've read about (or I would have done it myself ). The best you'll do is to get an aftermarket phone kit that is compatible with the BB and get it installed.

Oh -welcome to ClubLexus
Old 12-21-05, 06:00 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - bought your hubby a 2k LS400?? I wish my wife would buy me something like that! I'm lucky if she fills the car with gas when she uses it!
Old 12-21-05, 08:22 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I don't have a Blackberry but I have installed an aftermarket phone car kit in a 2000 LS400.

Your have at least two choices: 1) A Bluetooth kit that handles a variety of phones with varying degrees of success, or 2) A car kit made specifically for a Blackberry 7100g.

Neither of the above will truely integrate the Bluetooth with the OEM phone system. The steering wheel phone controller will not be usable. And you will likely have to add a speaker for the phone kit like I did.

If you choose a Bluetooth kit, you will need to identify one that is compatible with the 7100g. Unless someone speaks up on this forum with a suggestion, you might check http://www.blackberryforums.com/
and the Howard phone forum to see if anyone has found one that works particularly well.

If you want a kit specifically for the 7100g, here is one: http://www.blackberrysource.com/stor...g.asp?item=182

I see that the above kit comes with a phone antenna but the OEM antenna imprinted on the rear window might work too. There is a coax connector for the imprinted antenna under the rear of the center console and altering connections in the trunk at the OEM phone transceiver will likely be necessary to make it work with an aftermarket phone kit . Of course, if you may not need an external antenna at all.

The OEM Lexus phone has a transceiver in the trunk (right side, under the floor). Disconnect the two large connectors and plug them together. (In cars without phones, these connectors are attached at the bottom of the toolbox housing.) Disconnect the OEM handset under the center console. You will likely want to completely remove the OEM handset and transceiver. A new upper console lid insert can be obtained so you don't have to look at the holes from the OEM handset holder; one guy cut and glued a mouse pad to cover the holes.

I suppose you could put a holder for the Blackberry in the upper console where the OEM phone currently is but that is not a very handy place. A bracket or leather phone base by the radio is handier. Of course, if you go Bluetooth, you might not want a holder at all.

A connection for automatically muting the radio when a call is in progress is the front center pin on the connector on the drivers side under the console.

This doc has a lot of the information I covered above.

http://home.kc.rr.com/colchester/pho...%20install.doc

Installing a phone kit is a fairly big job but is not all that hard for someone who likes to work on cars.
Old 12-21-05, 09:52 AM
mmccutchin
Rookie

Default Need Something Quick?

Wow. . .what a WONDERFUL gift for your hubby. . .he will love what you are doing for him!

The last thread reply was great and very informative.

Also. . .since you are here in California (So. Cal. or Bay Area?) and we are a few days away from Christmas/Chanukah starting. . .I might suggest you check out Craigslist. . .http://www.craigslist.org. . .on the RH side of the home page are the specific geographic regions (the home page is the Bay Area). . .then check toward the bottom of the home page under "Services". . .click on "Automotive Services".

You may find specific postings for audio integration services. . .you go to their shop to find the right kits/parts and they do the installation, or, mobile (they come to you). . .sometimes you even run into incredible people who are solo or moonlighting. . .you could also post. . .for free. . .exactly what you're looking for!

(Also consider contacting Blackberry, or, the wireless service carrier. . .they are pretty knowledgeable about automobile connectivity. . .what's needed, etc.)

Believe me when I write this. . .your hubby will especially appreciate the "effort" you are making in even investigating how to connect the Blackberry to the car. (I should know. . .I'm a hubby myself and am touched by your gesture. . .above and beyond the car selection.)

Good Luck!
Old 12-21-05, 07:32 PM
CaliGirl
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jim, The info is GREAT. I looked at the 7100G specific kit and will also look to see if there is a local installer around in the East Bay area who might be able to work with me -- after the actual holiday. (too close now) I just want to try and have as much as possible lined up. I like the idea from mmcutchin to check Craigs list. Thanks guys! PS - Kansas eh -- we lived in Wichita before moving to CA about 5 years ago.
Old 12-21-05, 10:53 PM
mmccutchin
Rookie

Default Today's CL (in Bay Area)

Dear CaliGirl:

Did you happen to check out today's CL here in the Bay Area. . .under Automotive Services. . .click on the URL below. . .local service can come to you and install bluetooth/telephone equipment. . .I found this because I'm looking to get my iPod connected to my LS400.

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/aos/119716105.html

Best wishes!