LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 LCD Hard to Read - Repair Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-05, 04:03 PM
mmccutchin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 LCD Hard to Read - Repair Ideas?

1993 LS400 (164K) here. In center console panel (towards the dash) are two small LCDs. . .the one on the right is the clock. It's relatively hard to read (while driving). . .the numbers are starting to "blur" together. . .0's look like 8's, etc. . .just as difficult to read head on (and while sitting in the front passenger side).

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to resolve?

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-17-05, 04:34 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmccutchin
1993 LS400 (164K) here. In center console panel (towards the dash) are two small LCDs. . .the one on the right is the clock. It's relatively hard to read (while driving). . .the numbers are starting to "blur" together. . .0's look like 8's, etc. . .just as difficult to read head on (and while sitting in the front passenger side).

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to resolve?

Thank you in advance!
ya heres what u can do

R&R
Old 12-17-05, 04:53 PM
mmccutchin
Rookie

Default R & R Reply?

This wasn't meant to be a ridiculous thread. . .so it doesn't deserve a smart aleck response!

Is it a fuse or battery problem (I should be so lucky, in terms of repair cost). . .or. . .an integrity breach in the LCD? (Has anyone ever had to replace the LCD. . .how much to repair, etc?)

For those of us who have been around LCD (Liquid Crystal Display). . .the softer reading format that Lexus no longer uses in the LS model. . .it "can" go bad. . .but only after many years of use.

(My LS400 is a 1993 model. . .I used to have a 1992 ES300 which also had the LCD. . .no problems with the LCD in the ES for 13+ years while I owned it. I would have expected exactly the same in the LS. . .which is the reason for originating the thread.)

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-17-05, 07:47 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmccutchin
This wasn't meant to be a ridiculous thread. . .so it doesn't deserve a smart aleck response!

Is it a fuse or battery problem (I should be so lucky, in terms of repair cost). . .or. . .an integrity breach in the LCD? (Has anyone ever had to replace the LCD. . .how much to repair, etc?)

For those of us who have been around LCD (Liquid Crystal Display). . .the softer reading format that Lexus no longer uses in the LS model. . .it "can" go bad. . .but only after many years of use.

(My LS400 is a 1993 model. . .I used to have a 1992 ES300 which also had the LCD. . .no problems with the LCD in the ES for 13+ years while I owned it. I would have expected exactly the same in the LS. . .which is the reason for originating the thread.)

Thank you in advance!
sorry didnt mean it to be a smart aleck response but. there is no fix. his best bet to go to the dealer or call and find out if they can get the display. hes probably looking at a large ammount because they are probably very few in the nation
Old 12-17-05, 09:17 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have any sodering skills you can buy a lcd kit off ebay for around 120.00 look under Lexus climate control. I did this and it worked great plus the guy gives you new bulbs and instructions on how to remove/ soder/ install climate control screen i have the screen name in my feedback if you want it let me know PM me mine is a 93 also
Old 12-18-05, 02:08 PM
mmccutchin
Rookie

Default What about the clock?

I checked out ebay. . .couldn't find 1993 LS400 clock display replacement. . .any other recommendations?

(BTW, a few years ago. . .on this Forum. . .someone recommended Mikado Engineering for LCD replacement, etc. I checked out their website. . .doesn't look like they do this kind of work anymore.)

I'm still finding it a bit strange that 0's would look like 8's. . .blurring of display, etc. . .my 1992 (not 1993!) ES300 LCD clock looks exactly the same at 167K as it did when I personally put on the first mile some 13 years ago. Did Lexus use inferior parts in the first generation LS. . .but made improvements in the 1992 ES launch?

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-18-05, 02:28 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

you cant just relpace clock side it is whole thing black center between clock and temp is just a pice of film to make it look like 2 screens screen name of ebay is remotes4cars here is discreption

This is "BRAND NEW" Lexus 1990-1994 Climate Control Display Screen (LCD) "REPAIR KIT". 1990-1992 shown in the pictures, but the auction is for either 1990-1992 or 1993-1994 LS400 Climate Display Repair Kit. The package comes with one LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) and 7 Illumination Light Bulbs. Detail instruction comes with the package to show you how to remove the climate control unit out from your car, the instruction to solder the LCD to the IC board and the instruction how to replace all the 7 Illumination Light Bulbs. The S/H is $10.00 for those just want to buy the kit or for those can not solder well the S/H is $15.00 extra ($10.00 S/H +$15.00 Soldering) we will do the soldering work for you. You just need to remove the Climate control out from your car and send it in, we will helping you to do all the work ($15.00 extra beacuse more weight to the package and handling fees). We will send the kit out as soon as we received your payment or just add $15.00 extra and let us know you want we to do the soldering for you. Money Order,Casher's or Personal Check accepted (Personal Check 3-5 days hold). NO RESERVE! Thanks for looking! E-Mail me if you have any question!THIS IS JUST A REPAIR KIT NOT A WHOLE ITEM SHOWN IN THE PICTURES (BEFORE/AFTER). NO MONEY REFUND FOR YOUR WON ITEM, ONLY GOOD FOR SAME ITEM EXCHANGE/REPLACEMENT (manufacture defact within 30 days you received). *********************************************WHEN YOU READY TO PAY FOR THE ITEM PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO ENCLOSE THE YEAR MODEL OF YOUR VEHICLE (1990-1992 or 1993-1994). *******************THANK YOU!
Attached Thumbnails LS400 LCD Hard to Read - Repair Ideas?-7a_1.jpg  
Old 12-18-05, 02:29 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

another pic
Attached Thumbnails LS400 LCD Hard to Read - Repair Ideas?-49_1.jpg  
Old 12-18-05, 02:33 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

finished pic
Attached Thumbnails LS400 LCD Hard to Read - Repair Ideas?-a1_1.jpg  
Old 12-23-05, 10:40 AM
mmccutchin
Rookie

Default Fixed!

I did it on ebay. . .<$200 incl. installation (since I'm local). . .ebay seller is owner of Bay area-based Mikado Technologies. . .he's the #1 supplier (direct aftermarket) to Lexus dealers. Thank you for the referral!
Old 12-23-05, 05:09 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

glad to help enjoy
Old 01-04-06, 06:01 PM
theschoens
Driver School Candidate

Default Temporarily on hold

Called the Ebay site that fixed the climate control LCD on LS 400s (Mikado Tech in San Francisco). They said you cannot buy direct and must wait for the next auction. They are holding off on more auctions until next month because the fellow that does the inputs to E-bay is on vacation all this month. So if you want these services, you may have to wait. Didn't want anyone else to waste their time searching E-bay right now.

Last edited by theschoens; 01-05-06 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-14-06, 04:55 PM
theschoens
Driver School Candidate

Default Climate control working 4.0 thanks to Jim Walker

Didn't want to wait on the Ebay auction. Noticed on the other threads Jim Walker had solved some instrument cluster problems. E-mailed him and he said he had a fix for the climate contol too on the LS 400's. Ours had no digital display and all lights in the panel were out. Took the panel out and sent it to him. He fixed it very quickly for $215 (including shipping) and it came back working good as new. THANK YOU CL members!!! Dealers quoted me $485 for a reworked climate control. Jim's instructions for removal/replacement were very easy to follow--anyone can do this. If interested, his E-mail is jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net.
Old 01-14-06, 05:42 PM
PVSLS400
Pole Position

Jim Walker does excelent work if you need climate control bulbs he has them for a few dollars vs lexus dealers want 12.00. i did my lcd through ebay and sodered it myself but Jim got me a new speedo servo and needle for under 250.00 and i will be doing some lcd stuff through Jim here in colorado if i can committ to doing 10 lcd s a month but if anyone needs his phone number let me know and i can get it for you all
Old 02-14-06, 02:44 PM
dobber
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Keep it simple - Buy a re-done and be done

KISS - Keep it simple

If you are not up to a DIY, get a hold of jjeichmann@yahoo.com and have him ship you out a rebuilt.

For the price and hassle of the DIY, he can get you a complete rebuilt for about $50 more - around $210. He will even give you a warranty on it. He’s very thorough on his work, replaces all backlighting and treats all buttons and connections.

My new unit looks beautiful!
Hard to beat.

I figured by the time and money I spent on tools and supplies and then the risk of screwing up a brand new display, it be better just to let him do it.

Good guy, fast service.

Quick Reply: LS400 LCD Hard to Read - Repair Ideas?