LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rumor or Fact: Tire Pressure could be due to bad chrome?

Old 11-19-05, 03:16 AM
Diana K.
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rumor or Fact: Tire Pressure could be due to bad chrome?

I had my car serviced and tires rotated 3 weeks ago, before going on road trip. Since my return, I have been losing tire pressure from 29 psi (the recommended cold tire inflation) down to 23 or 24 psi within 2 or 3 days. I took my car back to the tire store/garage and he said it could be a problem with the chrome on my rims being either old and/or chipped that was causing the tire not to seal on the rim. Is this possible? I have never heard of a straight, undamaged rim, chrome or not, causing a leak in a tire before. Is there anyone out there that can tell me if he is telling me whether he is being honest with me or give me some ideas of what could be causing the leak. I am not so sure this guy is on the up and up, ya know.
Old 11-19-05, 10:38 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

How many miles on this set of tires?
Did you run over something or hit a curb or similar object?

If the only thing that has been done is to rotate the tires then it may be there is a puncture in the tires causing the leak.

Next, I'd suspect a valve stem or valve.

What is the condition of the chrome plating on your wheels? The chrome under the bead is stuck there with the tire inflated so when a tire is removed can it be chipped. Then if a new tire was mounted this might be an issue. I kinda doubt it but this is a remore possibility IMO.
Old 11-19-05, 01:51 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Why not just get all the tires resealed (taken off the rims and put back on with the sealant they use)...that should fix the problem if it's leaking past the edge.
Old 11-19-05, 10:35 PM
trystanu
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hijack a thready but I just got sold the exact same story with my SC400 at the local American Tire.

Ever since I took it down there for a rotation my front right tire has been losing about 20 psi a week. When I went back to ask them what was up they said my chrome was bad and tried to sell me another set of wheels. Is this some kind of rort?

I don't know how to fix it. Should I ask for a reseal too?
Old 11-19-05, 11:52 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by trystanu
Sorry to hijack a thready but I just got sold the exact same story with my SC400 at the local American Tire.

Ever since I took it down there for a rotation my front right tire has been losing about 20 psi a week. When I went back to ask them what was up they said my chrome was bad and tried to sell me another set of wheels. Is this some kind of rort?

I don't know how to fix it. Should I ask for a reseal too?
This sounds fishy. Make sure the valve is snug in the stem. The most probable is that you've got an object stuck in the tire that is causing this. Take the wheel off and inspect the tire for obvious damage.

You can have them do a leak test or you can do a simple one at home. Put a few drops dish deterget into a spray bottle, fill it up with water, shake it up to mix the detergent and spray some into the valve stem. If it bubbles...you have a leak. You can do this all around the tire to any larger than normal cuts/puncture holes. Might as well do it around the rim. Not hard, just takes a few moments.

The bead on good tires is quite pliable and will conform to a variety of rim diffrences. A .003"-.005" missing flake of chrome is not going to cause an obvious loss of air pressure if at all. While it can occur, it's not a high probability.
Old 11-20-05, 05:32 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Recommend you have all four chrome valve stems replaced. It's doubtful the tire bead is at fault.
Old 11-23-05, 04:50 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard of chrome corroding inside the wheel along bead and causing tires to leak before
Old 11-29-05, 01:12 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know what's wrong with your wheels/tires as you need to do more diagnosis, which are easy to do, but it is not atypical for chrome to separate from its substrate due to corrosion and/or stress, thus, allowing air to escape between substrate and chrome.
Old 11-29-05, 08:50 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can relate to this..

my one of my stock chrome rims on my 93 ls was chipped and frequently caused lower tire pressure
Old 12-08-05, 09:31 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

Default chrome bead

i had the same thing happpen. '93 ls400. discount tires showed me where the chrome was chipping away at the bead. estimates at other shops to rechrome were around $275 per wheel. i bought 5-spoke aluminum wheels to replace at $75 apiece and they look better than the oem chrome wheels ever did. give the car a much sportier look. there are penalties to be paid to be all worked up over keeping the car "original." not worth it to me.