LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help: striped bolt head

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-05, 10:47 PM
twas400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help: striped bolt head

I have a 91 LS400. My alternator recently went out due to a leak from the Power Steering Pump. I reckon this has been going on (a slow leak) for many months because I've seen symtoms at various times that I can relate to now after reading various posts on this topic here.

I have a new alternator and was looking to remove and rebuild the PSP.

One of the bolts that attaches the PS Pump to the engine block has a striped head. BAD. (By striped, I mean I am unable to fit the socket, so can't even begin to turn it.) This is a 6T, 14mm: if it matters, its the one on the PSP most readily accessible from underneath the car.

ANY IDEAS? Special tools and addl precautions, given I don't want to screw up the threading on the engine block. I want to get some opinions before I mess with this. I don't have any fancy power tools but am open to suggestions.

The car is largely immobile (alternator, radiator, etc are out, though I could put it together, with the leaky PS and all and take it someplace if that's the best option here).
Old 11-03-05, 11:32 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried something like Craftsman Bolt-Out sockets?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...=searchresults
Old 11-04-05, 08:12 AM
twas400
Driver School Candidate

No I have not. I imagine I'll get that at Sears. Will try. Thanx much.

And am open to other suggestions.
Old 11-04-05, 08:35 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Before you get it out i would go and order a new one from Lexus which they probably do not have in stock either.
Old 11-04-05, 08:38 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd try one of the tools for the task (such as the Craftsman unit mentioned). If that doesn't work, you could take a dremel with a cutting disc and carefully square off the head so that a slightly smaller wrench (12-mm or 13-mm) will fit it. This is why I always use 6-point sockets.
Old 11-04-05, 09:07 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I assume you have had that bolt out before. I do not have experience with the Sears socket but there are others that do the same thing and sometimes they do work. If the head is really buggered up or if the bolt is cross threaded and really stuck, they don't always work. I would try them first but before I tried that I would get some penetrating oil and soak that puppy down and let it sit. The reason that the head is rounded off is from the bolt threads not moving. You will need that replacement bolt either way so it is a good idea to have one ready. If all else fails and you still want to try it yourself, you get a set of vice grips (locking pliers) and see if they will work assuming there is enough room to get them in there. But be advised, if the locking pliers trick doesn't get it broken loose, it will do enough damage to what is left to have you off to a pro for removal. But either way, get some good penetrating oil and let it soak for a while.
Old 11-04-05, 10:40 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can't help w stripped bolt but I can give you some other hints.

Have your PS Pressure hose rebuilt when you do the pump & check for debris in your steering solenoid or you will be going thru this procedure again in short order.
Old 11-04-05, 09:56 PM
twas400
Driver School Candidate

Default [Succes]

Bolt-out was the way out: it worked like a charm. Took all of 2 seconds to ratchet the bolt free.

Just the head was messed up: the bolt itself is just fine (not bent, mis-threaded or striped) so all I need is a replacement.

I sure appreciate the tip on the solenoid. I recall seeing some stuff on how to fix it while searching this or LOC, unless someone has a link handy on that part.

Evidently, I am new to this and am grateful to yall for the prompt responses and great tips. THANX.
Old 11-05-05, 06:57 AM
twas400
Driver School Candidate

Default [Solenoid link]

Here's a link to the solenoid article, it has other good info and links around PSP issues as well.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=solenoid
Old 11-05-05, 09:56 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

You don't say how many miles, but the seal kit you get for the power steering pump is not likely to do everything you need. Most likely you will also need to replace the bearing inside the pump as well.
Old 11-06-05, 09:27 AM
twas400
Driver School Candidate

Correct: I have the seal-kit, bearing, air control valve and union seat.

I have 145K miles on the car (91 LS 400).

On the solenoid, I'm probably being overly cautious about snapping it free: looking up from below, do I "tap" it right (clockwise) or left? There not much by way of a grip for a screwdriver or chisel.

So generally for this job, here is what I am doing:
- rebuild the PSP
- clean, test solenoid
- replace return hose to PSP reservoir (it was badly frayed)
- replace alternator (this is where I started)
- clean radiator (since this is out)
- once all this is together
--- fill/flush PS fluid (ATF)
--- fill/flush radiator fluid

Is there anything else I should do while I have all this stuff out? My next couple of projects are:
- replace spark plug and wires, and am considering timing belt.
- flush transmission

In terms of needing a fix:
- driver side key does not work (does not even insert in the key hole). (Anti-theft system has long been out of order.)

Yes, I am doing a fair bit of catching up on the maint side (though this puppy has been riding superbly but has been showing signs last 10-20K miles of needing attention). Last major work was at 90K miles. This is a city car: does not get more than 20-30 miles a ride (we have other cars for this). Maybe after this maint, it might be ready for anything.

Cheers.
Old 11-07-05, 12:36 PM
twas400
Driver School Candidate

What is the part number of the PSP bolt that goes into the engine block?

I am going to try to attach a pic here but not sure if it will work: its the bolt that has "400 (29, 39)" torque info on the pic. It has the number "6" on the head. I have the LS400 manual in PDF format but it unfortunately does not have the parts list, at least not for the PSP section.

I went to both Lexus and Toyota dealers and they failed to match the bolt I showed them. Both wanted part #s. Lexus wanted the exact part number -- the person there was plain dumb about locating the pics in their system and would not even let me to talk to a mechanic - very frustrating experience.

Info or pointers appreciated. Thanx.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
PSPPic.bmp (5.9 KB, 216 views)
Old 11-07-05, 04:38 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

What is your plan for that pesky Idle Air Control Valve?
Old 11-07-05, 10:49 PM
twas400
Driver School Candidate

I've mentioned earlier: Got a new ACV, gasket kit, union seat and bearing.

I have some of the PSP disassembled, thru step 8 and also steps 10 &11 on the LEXLS tutorial on this topic. I have to go get a puller / slide hammer to get the shaft out. (I am looking to get a puller kit on Ebay: any suggestions? And yes, I am not pressed to get this car fixed so I can wait a couple of weeks to get the tools and to get this job done.)