LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tanabe DF210 springs discussions (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-07, 07:25 AM
chubby
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reason why i want bilstein HDs is because of the known fact that it has "perches". i dont exactly know how well it works as far as dropping the car more, but that is what i am aiming at. coilovers are a complete waste of $ if this combo drops it where i dont have gap. i'm not into performance. i just want it as low as possible in a practical way

wald would have been nice as far as height adjustability and $$ is concerned, but these "sellers" especially the one i tried to work with can never get you your ****. you have to go by their terms. that is their way of customer service

i just bought tanabe df210 springs. i'll be on the lookout for a PM with picssssss

Last edited by chubby; 03-23-07 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-23-07, 07:28 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coilovers are NEVER a waste of time....

I have had spring.shock combo's and they dont compare to a matched coilover setup. Its pricey but its worth it in my opinion.

I have had H&R/Bilstein, TEIN HA, TEIN SS, now JIC FLTA2
Old 03-23-07, 03:20 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chubby, my HD's have two perches unlike Pures LSportline HD's (with three). When I went from the top perch to the bottom perch I got between .5 to 1" more drop in addition to the 1" H & R drop springs. Since your Tanabe's give 1.8 to 2.0" you should get enough drop that your tires will tuck under the fender(s). My gap is maybe 1 finger or less (40's up front and 35's in back). It is perfect for me - I like the sit it has now versus the top perch.

As for coilovers I am not sure you would get as much drop as you would with your set up - maybe just 1.8"? Since I don't have them I cannot vouch.

The biggest thing with the HD's and a near 2" drop is would the shock piston blow the shock out - safety issues....? I am not an engineer.
Old 03-23-07, 04:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
Chubby, my HD's have two perches unlike Pures LSportline HD's (with three). When I went from the top perch to the bottom perch I got between .5 to 1" more drop in addition to the 1" H & R drop springs. Since your Tanabe's give 1.8 to 2.0" you should get enough drop that your tires will tuck under the fender(s). My gap is maybe 1 finger or less (40's up front and 35's in back). It is perfect for me - I like the sit it has now versus the top perch.

As for coilovers I am not sure you would get as much drop as you would with your set up - maybe just 1.8"? Since I don't have them I cannot vouch.

The biggest thing with the HD's and a near 2" drop is would the shock piston blow the shock out - safety issues....? I am not an engineer.
actually, my Bilsteins have 4 perches
Old 03-23-07, 04:25 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by steveski

ahh now this is some good, hands-on info here. it tells me a lot =D
if the Bilstein HDs blow out on me, i'll let you guys know! my stock ones are already busted on eibachs (gonna be for sale btw). and besides, they're "Heavy Duty" for a reason, right???? hah..

Last edited by chubby; 03-23-07 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-23-07, 08:30 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Absolutely HD is heavy duty so I imagine they will do you fine for a lot of miles. You know how it is with company techies - they consider liabilities, etc. Who really knows if the HD's will blow out with the Tanabe's? Let us know if you get them and how they ride. With those springs your car will be loooooow Remember mine has 18's and with any larger wheel set up it will look even sweeter - post pics bro.
Old 03-23-07, 08:48 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Here is the front gap on the lowest setting. With H&R at lowest perch is about 1.75" to 2" drop:
Attached Thumbnails Tanabe DF210 springs discussions (The Mother thread)-front3.jpg.jpg  
Old 03-23-07, 09:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

I'd probably go with a known like the JIC VIP FLT-A2's.

Also ordering the YouZealand SS-kit will drop the car an additional 25cm and give the additional strut travel to not bottom out. Also takes care of some camber issues. I think the kit is ~$550. Call one of the guys at Carson and see if they can get it.

http://www.youzealand.net/sskit/1020sskit.html
http://www.youzealand.net/sskit/1020plus.html

Nice drop but you'll probably have to drill/clear the upper strut tower for the control arm.

Last edited by RA40; 03-23-07 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-23-07, 09:32 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

^^ that looks undrivable!!! O.O

if i saw that, i would hope the owner would hit a switch to bypass speedbumps and ramps hah

Last edited by chubby; 03-23-07 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-24-07, 01:28 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

No body kit with that.

My Bilsteins have the 2 perch mounts. Since the left front sits lower, it bottoms out at times. I'd roughly figured there is about 1 to 1-1/2 of suspension travel. Both us in the car, it goes down about 1/2" so estimating, 3/4" isn't much suspension travel. I don't have the exact measurement handy, mine went down about 2-1/8" front and 1-1/2" rear (high setting) with the Eibach Pro Kit springs.

The YouZealand kit promotes the additional suspension travel as well as maintaining lower control arm geometry. (Within reason, the car is still drastically lowered in many cases.) A couple of the GS guys have machined similar blocks to duplicate this kit but you'ld have to search their suspension forum for it.

Given that this kit is $550 and when you add in a coil/strut set-up, you are right close to a true adjustable coil-over like the base FLT-A2. That should be more than enough for tuckage with better ride qualities.
Old 03-24-07, 04:12 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
Coilovers are NEVER a waste of time....

I have had spring.shock combo's and they dont compare to a matched coilover setup. Its pricey but its worth it in my opinion.

I have had H&R/Bilstein, TEIN HA, TEIN SS, now JIC FLTA2
What did you do with either set of TEINs'
Old 03-28-07, 09:27 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

and the goods begin to come in..
part 1 of 2

part 2 of 2
coming tomorrow i hope

going on this pos

i will post before and after pics
Old 03-28-07, 10:59 PM
vsynergy
Driver

Those wheels are just begging to be tucked. Hope this setup lowers you enough.
Old 03-28-07, 11:04 PM
tomsmr2
Rookie

Very nice bro...I hv the same wheels on my UCF20, and I also ordered the tanabe springs too..I am excited to see your new pic with these springs...are you running the OEM shocks or soemthing else???
Old 03-30-07, 03:07 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Chubby, I like your LS - looks great. It is amazing how much a 1-2 inch drop will change the look.

Quick Reply: Tanabe DF210 springs discussions (The Mother thread)