LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Aftermarket exhaust gain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 04:05 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust gain?

So I want to get just a tiny bit more horsepower out of my car plus with the bodykit coming I need an exposed exhaust. I was looking at this:

http://www.luxurymods.com/ProductDet...D=984&fid=1001

I was wondering if:

A) anyone here has it

and, B) What kind of performance gain can I expect?

I figure if a new exhaust for a tiny 4 cylinder honda can get 8-12hp gain then this'll HAVE to give me that or better.
Old 10-11-05, 07:40 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

muffler delete mod will be better than this mod, due to even reduced restrictions, and less weight.
you can expect 2-3HP. I don't believe for a minute that the Honda muffler change can give you 12 HP.
Old 10-11-05, 08:02 PM
OGS
Lead Lap

I would say...go with the JIC exhaust.
Old 10-11-05, 09:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yea, the JIC is one of the nicest sounding and cleanest exhaust for the LS ive seen.(or heard.)
Old 10-11-05, 11:29 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Maybe i'm mistaken but didn't the JIC have the "ricey" huge exhaust cans at the end of it?
Old 10-11-05, 11:36 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

where can i find info on the jic exhaust, and do they make it for a 95 LS.
Old 10-12-05, 03:18 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, they'll fit on a '95.

http://www.jic-magic.com/productsjic_bullet_twin.htm

BTW, a member (gtfour43) is selling his titanium JIC's for a great price in the classifieds:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180460
Old 10-12-05, 07:38 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

cant you just build an exhaust for less money? whats the difference btw buying an exhaust and getting a catback? arent they the same thing?and if not could someone post some pics please.
Old 10-12-05, 11:14 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I was looking at that exhaust and considering buying it but:

A) Will it fit a 99'?

and

B) I could be mistaken but those tips really look like the huge exhaust ricer fart cans and I couldn't want that less for my car. Perhaps its just the picture but i'm looking for a modest exhaust, however if the cans look like this:

Then maybe i'll get it
Old 10-12-05, 11:29 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A) Looks like it'll only fit '91-'96 models according to the website.

B) I believe the tips are a little bigger, but the cans themselves aren't oval canisters like the ones pictured on the Wald LS.
Old 10-12-05, 11:58 AM
st-187
Driver School Candidate

yes you can build an exhaust for less money, so to speak. However the quality might not be that great depending on where you go. There are two types of exhaust systems you can "make". One type uses Crush bent Piping, and the other uses Mandrel bent Piping.
For the most part, performance minded heads will tend to gravitate more towards a "Mandrel bent" type of exhaust system, where the inner diamater of the pipes are constant troughout the exhaust system. This lends to a cleaner exhaust flow with less back pressure, a good thing for those looking to eek out every possible pony. Mandrel bent systems can come by two ways. One is where you section off pre bent pices of tubing (avaliable trough parts suppliers like JEGS) then cut, aling and weld to your liking. the second way is to find a place that has a mandrel bending machine and have them bend out an exhaust for you. (expensive!!!)
the other type of exhaust you can make would be "Crush bent piping". this type of exhaust can be made at most any muffler shop with a pipe bending machine. This tends to be the easiest type of exhaust to make, and thus, the cheapest way to make a one off exhaust. however as the name implies, the pipe is crush bent, meaning that there is a kink at the bend in the piping. Which lends to poorer performance, when comepared to its mandrel bent counterpart.

As for the LS400. It seems to me that the exhaust from the factory is already mandrel bent and dose not seem to have any major bottle necks along the way (as far as pipe diameter goes). Remember that these cars were top o' da line back in the day. And Crush bent type exhausts are generally found on lower end cars like civics or carollas, not on yakuza mobiles. .

which means that the factory left room for improvment (as far as the exhaust is concerned)
and the claim of a 8-12 hp gain is not too outlandish, just remember that most dyno numbers that an aftermarket supplier gives for a given part dosent mean that that was the only part tested to produce said numbers.
ie cat back exhaust system on a civic ex = 8 hp gain. What they dont tell you is that to get that 8 hp gain, the exhaust was tested in conjuction with an intake and a headder!

When I say exhaust system I mean the whole system, from the exhaust manifold (header) all the way to the exhaust tip.. A "cat back" means catalytic converter back. Most modern cars have two cats. and a "cat back" system will generally be from the second cat (furthest away from the engine) which means that if you get a cat back, you still have the stock pipes leading from the headders to the new exhaust. ie bottle neck!

i agree with ychachad, go with the muffler delete mod
Old 10-12-05, 12:14 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Thanks for the write up! Thats makes alot more sense to me now!

I guess my next question is... how do I do the muffler delete mod?

EDIT: I found this article:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ler+delete+mod

But I don't want my car to sound louder I just wanted it to sound deeper/richer... G35 with borla exhaust type sound

Last edited by BigVIPness; 10-12-05 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-12-05, 01:11 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

it all depends what you want to do with your money.. lets see:

spend very little money and free up most HP possible: muffler delete mod and run straight pipes.. or just muffler delete.

or

Spend a lot of money : and buy JIC or Borla, etc.. in order to free up a similar amount of HP, but have a "nice" sounding exhaust.

If you ask, my understanding is the muffler delete, doesn't really increase the sound significantly.
Old 10-12-05, 02:09 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by IVXX
Thanks for the write up! Thats makes alot more sense to me now!

I guess my next question is... how do I do the muffler delete mod?

EDIT: I found this article:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ler+delete+mod

But I don't want my car to sound louder I just wanted it to sound deeper/richer... G35 with borla exhaust type sound
i also thank you for the write up, now i understand all this exhaust lingo much better. i just purchased a full l-sportline kit and i want to do a muffler delete plus make the pipes off the rear stock mufflers come out the back with some nice chrome tips. does anyone know whats the biggest size tips that can come thru the l-sport rear bum per?
Old 10-13-05, 09:51 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

As the "inventor" of the LS400 muffler delete mod I can say from experience that this does not make for a loud car but it is obviously louder than a stock 400. Some of the cabin sound increase is due to the fact that the exhaust resonates between the road and the bottom of the car. Pipes to the rear will reduce this very nicely. The middle mufflers or silencers actually do a very good job muffling the car and definitely qualify as mufflers from a legal standpoint.

This mod is SO EASY just do it and decide for yourself. However, do not expect any power increase from ANY changes from the stock middle mufflers. Headers are now available and there is a very comprehensive condensed thread in the GS section about them.

The LS400s do have several restrictive areas. Removing the back mufflers and replacing them with straight pipes is inexpensive and it will not hurt to use crush bent piping if this is your only change. Search under my name in this section for a LOT of exhaust info.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust gain?