LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

amp & sub install? Best way

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 02:42 PM
LSden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp & sub install? Best way

I tried a search but nothing turned out. I've got 91 LS400. My factoryPioneer amp (the one in the trunk is dead; blown) I'm wanting to install an aftermarket amp and sub to the factory system.

I understand I need to run a new power wire, and ground wire, but what do I do about connecting an LLC/LOC and for the remote turn-on.

TIA
Old 09-26-05, 03:50 PM
st-187
Driver School Candidate

wow its been a while since Ive had to wire up an amp to a stock head unit.
when you buy a new amp It should have one of two ways to send a signal to the to the amp itself.
1. trough traditional RCA cables ( I dont think that the stock H/U has an RCA connection in the back)
or
2. Trough a wire harness supplied by the amp manufacture ( I forget what its called but it usually supplied with the amp when bought new)

The easiest way, which also happens to be the cleanest and best sounding of the two options would be to use RCA cables, which also leads to the possibility of upgrading cables later on down the road for better sound clarity.

Now I am assuming that you will retain the stock H/U, with that said, you would have to go with the second option.

you would have to trace the signal wires( between the stock H/U and stock amp) to send to the aftermarket amp ie. Front Left +/- Front Right+/- back left+/- back right +/- ect.... and splice to the supplied amp harness.

Remember to seprate Signal wires and power/ ignition calbes on seprate sides of the car otherwise you will run into interferance noise.

this is just a basic overview,

do you plan on using a four channel amp and one seprate for the rear sub?
do you want stereo or mono? (mono, isint that the kissing desiese?)

otherwise run power, groung, and ignition (to turn the amp on when the radio comes on)
Old 09-26-05, 07:35 PM
LSden
Driver School Candidate

I'm only adding one d-class amp, to a single sub. Retaining all factory stock speakers and h/u, replacing sub only.

The amp in the trunk only powers the stock sub, I know this because I unplugged the amp and all other six speakers played fine.

The amp I'm installing will have RCA connectors, and I'm familiar with splicing an LLC onto speaker leads to connect an amp for RCA's, but I'm wondering if anyone knew what wires to splice for an LLC, from the stock harness(in the trunk) that went into the stock amp.

Does anyone know what each colored-wire does?