LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

And God Said....let There Be A/c

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 06:34 AM
601LEXTACY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And God Said....let There Be A/c

Ok. Heres The Situation. Driving Home From A Road Trip One Day. A/c Light Started Blinking. After That Its Blown Heat Rays Ever Since. Is My Compressor Broken Or Do I Need To Recharge It. And If I Need To Recharge It How Do I Do It Without Going To The Dealer And Getting Raped. Please Help Me. Its Hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-05, 06:45 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You might just need to recharge and change the O-rings, but if this happend all of the sudden, you might need a new compressor.

Is the compressor turning at all now?
Old 09-26-05, 07:08 AM
601LEXTACY
Driver

No. If I Hit The Ac Button It Does Nothing.
Old 09-26-05, 09:03 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 601LEXTACY
Ok. Heres The Situation. Driving Home From A Road Trip One Day. A/c Light Started Blinking. After That Its Blown Heat Rays Ever Since. Is My Compressor Broken Or Do I Need To Recharge It. And If I Need To Recharge It How Do I Do It Without Going To The Dealer And Getting Raped. Please Help Me. Its Hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No way to say for sure without checking the system out. It could be any of a number of things. If you're not familiar with AC systems, the best bet is to find a good (honest) AC shop and have them check it out. The dealer, even though he may be more expensive on a given repair, is probably your best bet if you don't know any other reliable shops. AC repairs are really easy to get scammed on if you don't know what's up.
Old 09-26-05, 11:09 AM
601LEXTACY
Driver

Thanks A Lot For The Advice. I Hope This Is An Easy Fix.
Old 09-26-05, 12:30 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anytime the A/c light is flashing it is because there is a fault code in the hvac system usually thought it only stops and flashes for compressor lock up.
Run the diagnostics test to find out the code and know what the problem is before hand.
I made a list of all the codes and how to check them.
Old 09-26-05, 12:48 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

sweat it out, winter is right around the corner. lol

j/k i just know the feeling of not having a/c....3 years and running now and boy does that leather heat up in the summer time.
Old 09-26-05, 05:23 PM
qcruzer
Driver School Candidate

I think if you do a search in the forums you will find that the AC compressor is going out or is already "dead". More specifically, I believe there is a 'rpm sensor' in the back of the compressor that is causing the 'flashing light' mode and shutting off your compressor. Mine was doing this, but I was always able to 'restart' the compressor by hitting the switch on and off. Supposedly, doing this is not recommended because the compressor can 'blow' and send metal shavings all through your AC system Please check out previous posts on this topic and you can get a full history of this problem. It seems common for the early 1990's Lexus's.
Now if you want to fix this problem, you would have to replace your compressor which you can do yourself if you are mechanically inclined....just regular sockets and wrenches are needed. The cheapest places that I have seen for a rebuilt compressor are on Ebay....usually around $200. I cannot vouch for the companies, but they do offer a one year warranty I believe. Otherwise, most auto parts stores have them for $300 on up. You should be able to remove the compressor in less than an hour....there are three mounting bolts, plus a couple of electrical connectors. Removing the battery helps to clear out some working space. Just make sure to evacuate the system of any remaining freon before you do this. It is highly recommended to replace the receiver/dryer ($15-20, located below/behind the passenger side headlight) and the o-rings on the compressor hoses and at the firewall. Reinstall everything and recharge with freon ($150 in So Cal-R12) and you are good to go!
Old 09-26-05, 05:48 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incorrect. the blinking light signals a fault code, and the blinking is usually due to a failed compressor. I have worked on many A/C systems, and blinking lights are never as a result of low refrigerant. He's gonna have to bite the bullet, and get a new compressor. Same as my 92 - no A/C

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
You might just need to recharge and change the O-rings, but if this happend all of the sudden, you might need a new compressor.

Is the compressor turning at all now?
Old 09-26-05, 05:50 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

601 Lextacy, By the way, did you go to Ole Miss?
Old 09-26-05, 06:12 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ychachad
Incorrect. the blinking light signals a fault code, and the blinking is usually due to a failed compressor. I have worked on many A/C systems, and blinking lights are never as a result of low refrigerant. He's gonna have to bite the bullet, and get a new compressor. Same as my 92 - no A/C
Good point, i forgot about the blinking light. Btw, i resolved the problem with my LS, it was exactly what we thought it was, too much 134a causing the exagerated pressure
Old 09-26-05, 06:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i say run it w/o ac and savor the minute power gain!! (by taking the compressor off that is.)
Old 09-26-05, 08:36 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

He's in Mississippi and I know how humid it is there! I was stationed in Biloxi for 6 years. Trust me, he needs A/C & real fast.

601, where in MS are you located? I may know someone you can take you car to.
Old 09-27-05, 08:14 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 10PA20C compressor has been known to fail. When I got my car, there was nothing in the AC, so i changed out the drier/O-rings and I filled it up with 1.75lbs of R-134a and 8.5oz of POE 100 oil, The factory underfills the compressor with 6 oz of oil, but Denso AC compressors DO NOT tolerate low oil conditions at all. Go find the AC compressor in the car, and turn the outer ring(which is the direct connection to the shaft on the clutch). if it turns easy/fairly easy you may be in luck. if not, i think the Black Death has hit the system. When that happens, EVERY line/hose needs to be flushed out by force, the condensor and evaporator might need to replaced, and the compressor/drier/expansion valve must be changed out.
Old 09-27-05, 09:34 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default In my case the Lord "taketh away" today.

On a 96 LS 400 w 97,000 miles. No illumination or response to pushing the control buttons.

I'm going to check the fuses fuses listed below first. I was not driving it when this first occurred so I would not be aware of any flashing lights.
FR CIG 15A
Fuel OPN 15A
Starter 7.5A
Heater 15A

Great tip on the amount of a oil a compressor needs!
Link to info on "Black Death"
http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm?fuse...=Black%20Death

Last edited by damon; 09-27-05 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: And God Said....let There Be A/c