LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help identify Celsior Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-05, 02:47 PM
dirkmirk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identify Celsior Stereo

Im trying to source a standard Stereo for my Celsior which came with the rear audio controls, my car came with an aftermarket stereo, im emailing this japanese guy at the moment and he's sent photo's of the back of 4 stereos and asked me which one I want, can anyone identify the unit which has the plug for rear audio controls? I would have to say it would be the one with the most connections but want to make sure if anyone knows, this is for a 1st generation 1990 model.

Old 08-11-05, 03:16 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW ,that is the first time i have seen the rear controls form a gen 1.
I am so envious.
Do you still have the original plugs in the car?
Old 08-11-05, 04:24 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

You might try searching past posts. At least one other Aussie mentioned that his early Celsior has all the rear seat options. It is probably a lot to ask someone to pull the head unit and take a photo but it is really easy to pull the head unit in an LS.

Also the UK Lexus Owners Club forum has an "import" section. Lots of Celsiors get exported to the U.K. --> http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/
Old 08-11-05, 06:10 PM
psls400
Driver

Originally Posted by dirkmirk
Im trying to source a standard Stereo for my Celsior which came with the rear audio controls, my car came with an aftermarket stereo, im emailing this japanese guy at the moment and he's sent photo's of the back of 4 stereos and asked me which one I want, can anyone identify the unit which has the plug for rear audio controls? I would have to say it would be the one with the most connections but want to make sure if anyone knows, this is for a 1st generation 1990 model.

What's the remote control for?

I've go a type C-F Junction Produce model.

Mine has a colour TV (factory Toyota) but didn't come with the remote that i think is for the TV also.

Can you confirm?

I can have a look at mine to see which unit it is?

I take it yours is a type C-F also.
Old 08-12-05, 12:57 AM
dirkmirk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by psls400

Mine has a colour TV (factory Toyota) but didn't come with the remote that i think is for the TV also.

Can you confirm?

Not sure what the remote is for, here is the page from import agent I used that showed the car at the Japanese dealership I bought it from in Japan, in the interior shot you can see a tv not sure if its a Toyota standard, it also has a flip down TV in the back, when the car got here the front TV was gone, I got no use for the remote so if you want you can have it, the car is a C-F model.

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=2061

Here are some more photo's

That looks like a video socket,.

I have taken the console apart and taken some pictures but did'nt disconnect the stereo or air con cables as I did'nt want to F##k it up, daunting enough as I've never done anything with cars really, but their were those two blue cables doing nothing and another white one I think, its got me thinking though maybe it only needs 3 cables plus the aerial ones? its got the stacker in the boot I want to get working, im starting to think the first picture is the stereo I want as the plugs look like they would fit straight in but I want to be sure, yeah if its not too much I'd really appreciate if you had a look at the back of yours .

Thanks for that link Kansas I'll have a look their.

edit: actually on second thought its the one with the most plugs that it'd go into, they both would fit in the lower left hand sockets, I dont think they would fit in any of the other stereos, what do you other guys think?

Last edited by dirkmirk; 08-12-05 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-12-05, 08:09 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe its the first one sitting on the green board. The 2 blue connectors you are holding in your hand looks like the connections for the climate control unit, at least that's how it is my '95.
Old 08-13-05, 07:29 PM
psls400
Driver

Default Correct stereo

Hi DirkMirk

I believe the correct on is the bottom one.

Here are the pics as I pulled out mine.
Old 08-13-05, 09:04 PM
psls400
Driver

Thumbs up

Sorry, pics didn't upload. I'll try later.

Basically, the stereo should have three connectors on the bottom and two above the middle bottom, just like the last pic in your post.

I also took a pic of the manufacturer's (Pioneer) serial/model number.

There are a few wreckers in Australia that may be able to sell you the head unit you need.

They are:

1. Import Garage (SA)
2. Toyo Pro (Vic)
3. Toyots r us (Vic)

They dismantle a lot of gen 1 LS400.

Ciao psls400
Old 08-13-05, 11:00 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by psls400

Can you confirm?

Got any pics of the factory installed TV?
Old 08-14-05, 12:13 AM
psls400
Driver

Yep, will post some pics shortly.

Lets just say that the type C_F Celsior is similar to the Gen 2-3 ultras.

The Japanese market is very unique!!!
Old 08-14-05, 02:30 AM
dirkmirk
Driver School Candidate

Psls Thanks for going to the effort I really appreciate it, I'll wait for you to upload the pictures but sounds like its straight forward
Old 08-14-05, 05:41 AM
psls400
Driver

Default Pics to solve the mystery

Dirkmirk

The pics are posted at https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...ry.php?cat=505 given the byte size .

About the remote, I've PM'd you.

Cheers
psls400
Old 08-14-05, 09:24 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirkmirk
This one is exactly the same as the back of the stock deck I had: Pioneer, tape, but no CD controls:

This is the Pioneer deck with CD controls. The blue connector goes in the second terminal on the bottom of this deck. I'm not sure what it's for though, not video.

Not sure on the other ones. I'm also not sure if the US decks are the same the decks in the JDM.
Old 09-12-05, 05:01 AM
dirkmirk
Driver School Candidate

Got the stereo I wanted, I took it up to a place that seems to have a good reputation for car audio and basically without really looking at it he would'nt know if he could do the job(until he takes it apart), these were some of his concerns.

#The original plugs might've got thrown out, he reckons in those countries they have guys fitting stereos on the street corner and just throw out ***** that don't need as they go, I thought he was full of ***** but he said in Australia they always generally leave the original plugs.
#He said the stereo would be useless if the original amplifier was'nt their or something to that extent, I dont know if he meant he'd never get sound out of it without using an original amplifier or if he could just use an aftermarket one.

What do you guys think? How do I find the amplifier? If the plugs are gone(ie hacked to ***** and rewired for the aftermarket stereo) can they rewire it back to fit original plugs if I can track them down? If the original amplifier is gone would their be any issue with buying an aftermarket to use with the existing 8 or so speakers? In this plan I want to get a subwoofer and maybe some decent speakers for the rear parcel shelf.

So not sure of what my next step here is just after some advice,

My stereo has exactly the same sticker as this one psls400 took a photo of his, all the codes are the same except the serial number of course and I basically know sweet **** all on car audio.