LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400/96/55K...Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 07:32 AM
GoyoNeuff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400/96/55K...Good deal?

Hello All,

First...WHAT A GREAT FORUM YOU GUYS HAVE HERE!!! It's been really hepful!

Currently we've a RAV4, but now it's time to get one car more, here in Houston it's difficult with only one car. My boss is selling his LS400/96. Here is some info:

MILEAGE <55,000
Passed emissions 2004
May require new safety inspection

1996 Lexus LS 400, color Cream
Chrome Wheels
CD Changer
Premium Sound System

Known Defects or Issues:
Radio Display does not display correctly.
Auto was involved in "fender bender" front left bumper when parked, repaired at Lexus facility.

Price: 10,000 cash.

I'm planning to take it today to a mechanic for an inspection.

I'd like to know what do you guys think of this deal...

Thanks a bunch, and I'm very happy I've found this forum...What a great invent is the internet!

K.
Old 08-09-05, 08:27 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoyoNeuff
Hello All,

First...WHAT A GREAT FORUM YOU GUYS HAVE HERE!!! It's been really hepful!

Currently we've a RAV4, but now it's time to get one car more, here in Houston it's difficult with only one car. My boss is selling his LS400/96. Here is some info:

MILEAGE <55,000
Passed emissions 2004
May require new safety inspection

1996 Lexus LS 400, color Cream
Chrome Wheels
CD Changer
Premium Sound System

Known Defects or Issues:
Radio Display does not display correctly.
Auto was involved in "fender bender" front left bumper when parked, repaired at Lexus facility.

Price: 10,000 cash.

I'm planning to take it today to a mechanic for an inspection.

I'd like to know what do you guys think of this deal...

Thanks a bunch, and I'm very happy I've found this forum...What a great invent is the internet!

K.
Regardless of whether it's a good deal, do you really want to buy a used car from your boss? Years ago when I was a newly minted lawyer working at a small lawfirm my boss, who knew that I was selling an aged sports car, asked me if his son could buy it. Not knowing how to get out of the situation I sold it to his son at a significant discount. Long story short, his son never paid me and I never could figure a way to tell my boss. The moral: the purchasing and selling of cars should be arms-length (and strictly business) transactions.
Old 08-09-05, 03:25 PM
93LS
Rookie

I think It is a good deal....

R U sure you want to buy a ca from your boss?

how many previous owners?

how good is your relationship with the boss? is it very friendly or friendly or strictly business.
only one condition I would buy it is --->very friendly.

10K is lot of money...

93LS
Old 08-10-05, 06:19 AM
GoyoNeuff
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all! Nice info you can find in here!

Well, I took it to a mechanic, J.C. here in Houston area. Did a check of it and found couple of things that need to be done, but not in a big hurry:
1.) Ft/ Struts.........................................................................................$300.00
2.) Resurface rotors (brakes are new,but the surface need to be re-touch)...$70.00
3.) PCV..................................................................................................$14.00
4.) Rack & pinion...................................................................................$550.00

Other than that, we've found it in a very good shape.

My boss mother was the first owner, she got it from him as a gift ( wanna a son like that one day). She had it for 5 years or so, and drove it about 26K miles. Then he took it because she couldn't drive any more, so he decided to keep it for a bit (4 years or so). She was very good keeping it with all the services done at Lexus dealer. After my boss took it, he was good with regular maintenance, not always Lexus dealershi#@$#$@, but regular oil changes and stuff, always using synthetic mobil oil.

The only known issues, as I posted, were:
1.) A fender bender in the front left bumper. It was repaired at Lexus
2.) Radio LCD is not working properly. I can live with this.

On March 2005, it was checked, oil changed, new brakes, battery, and couple of other things, at Lexus dealersh!#$#@.

He drives pretty good, safetely and slow. So I should say, in that matter, the car is very good.

Finally, I made a deal with him yesterday. I got it for 9K, which I think it's an excellent price for a car like this. Even though if I've to do all what the mechanic said, that would be a total of 9,934, which I still believe is a very good price.

Thank you all!!!
Old 08-10-05, 06:45 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I took it to a mechanic, J.C. here in Houston area. Did a check of it and found couple of things that need to be done, but not in a big hurry:
1.) Ft/ Struts.........................................................................................$300.00
2.) Resurface rotors (brakes are new,but the surface need to be re-touch)...$70.00
3.) PCV..................................................................................................$14.00
4.) Rack & pinion...................................................................................$550.00

My boss mother was the first owner, she got it from him as a gift ( wanna a son like that one day). She had it for 5 years or so, and drove it about 26K miles. Then he took it because she couldn't drive any more, so he decided to keep it for a bit (4 years or so). She was very good keeping it with all the services done at Lexus dealer. After my boss took it, he was good with regular maintenance, not always Lexus dealershi#@$#$@, but regular oil changes and stuff, always using synthetic mobil oil.

On March 2005, it was checked, oil changed, new brakes, battery, and couple of other things, at Lexus dealersh!#$#@.

He drives pretty good, safetely and slow. So I should say, in that matter, the car is very good.

Finally, I made a deal with him yesterday. I got it for 9K, which I think it's an excellent price for a car like this. Even though if I've to do all what the mechanic said, that would be a total of 9,934, which I still believe is a very good price.

Thank you all!!!
Sounds like a very good price indeed. Best of luck!
Old 08-16-05, 12:29 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Long story short, his son never paid me and I never could figure a way to tell my boss.
What? Wouldn't you think that the knew but silently laughed behind your back?
Old 08-16-05, 03:47 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks to be an excellent buy. There is a inexpensive fix known here at the forum for the LCD.

Good Luck!
Old 08-16-05, 08:41 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you all!!!

$14 for the PCV? wow.. lol thats pretty expensive..

sounds like a good deal though.. its a tough call.. since its teh boss too
Old 08-16-05, 10:23 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Though the car by your description sounds good, I'd let it go. The potential issues you have with your employer weighs on it. If however this is some passing step, no biggie. That said, there are many samples of this car circulating with a bit of looking.
Old 08-17-05, 11:15 AM
caffeine
Rookie

Welcome to the LS400 family! I have a black 1995 and I thought that I had found one with extremely low miles, 99k at the time, but 55k is insanely low! You got a great price!