LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

hours of work and nothing, seafoam = crap, new ngk plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 09:34 PM
phillipin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hours of work and nothing, seafoam = crap, new ngk plugs

Ok over the past week i have replaced the tranny fluid, full case of type 4, power steering fluid and diff fluid. The car runs great except the tps is adjusted too low and the screws are mangled, and i have a low speed 1200 rpm light throttle pinging.

so going cheap route first i picked up a can of seafoam from napa to see if the pinging was carbon buildup over 150k miles. I used 1/3 the can slowly let the pcv hose suck it up. The car stalled after a bit waited the 5 minutes cranked it and it ran like crap for a few minutes, cleared up. one thing that really caught my attention was that the seafoam smoke was comming out behind the manifold from down low, maybe i have a crack in my exhuast somewhere. the smoke cleared up and i put some of the sea foam in the crank and in the tank. the car ran like crap, so i went and filled it up with premium it took 9 gallons. After a few miles the car ran better EXCEPT the low rpm 1200-1500 ping was now mega loud and 1000-2800 rpm. I though about it and the seafoam probably killed the plugs.

So i went and bought a set of NGK plugs. Put them in. Reset the ecu.

Drove for a few miles and the car was mega torqy had gobs of power. as i got home and had cars and walls for the motor noise to bounce off of the low rpm ping is there. Its not even as bad or loud as it was before the seafoam and its harder to replicate but its still there.

So i put it in P and reved the motor a few times, after about the 4th time reving it to 3500 and let go of the throttle it almost stalled out.

Im not sure what to think now. The car is running with more power definitely. Do you guys think since my idle is low from the tps not being adjusted correctly thats why reving the motor and letting off in neutral it dips down to 3-400 rpm and idles back up to 500-550. I know this is too low an idle but i am stil trying to get those screws off. Tomarrow i'll goto the hardware store and pick them up. Or do you think the ping and low idle are related.Im not sure what to make of this. Other than that the car is very strong.
Old 07-19-05, 09:55 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phillipin
Ok over the past week i have replaced the tranny fluid, full case of type 4, power steering fluid and diff fluid. The car runs great except the tps is adjusted too low and the screws are mangled, and i have a low speed 1200 rpm light throttle pinging.

so going cheap route first i picked up a can of seafoam from napa to see if the pinging was carbon buildup over 150k miles. I used 1/3 the can slowly let the pcv hose suck it up. The car stalled after a bit waited the 5 minutes cranked it and it ran like crap for a few minutes, cleared up. one thing that really caught my attention was that the seafoam smoke was comming out behind the manifold from down low, maybe i have a crack in my exhuast somewhere. the smoke cleared up and i put some of the sea foam in the crank and in the tank. the car ran like crap, so i went and filled it up with premium it took 9 gallons. After a few miles the car ran better EXCEPT the low rpm 1200-1500 ping was now mega loud and 1000-2800 rpm. I though about it and the seafoam probably killed the plugs.

So i went and bought a set of NGK plugs. Put them in. Reset the ecu.

Drove for a few miles and the car was mega torqy had gobs of power. as i got home and had cars and walls for the motor noise to bounce off of the low rpm ping is there. Its not even as bad or loud as it was before the seafoam and its harder to replicate but its still there.

So i put it in P and reved the motor a few times, after about the 4th time reving it to 3500 and let go of the throttle it almost stalled out.

Im not sure what to think now. The car is running with more power definitely. Do you guys think since my idle is low from the tps not being adjusted correctly thats why reving the motor and letting off in neutral it dips down to 3-400 rpm and idles back up to 500-550. I know this is too low an idle but i am stil trying to get those screws off. Tomarrow i'll goto the hardware store and pick them up. Or do you think the ping and low idle are related.Im not sure what to make of this. Other than that the car is very strong.
pingin noise is basicly spark knock. also check ur timming. i belive dont take it to heart should be arround 10degrees. otherwise could be because of fuel delevery problem. first off fix ur tps. see if it goes away. if not. try doing a injector volume test. if they all have the same or close to the same flow try lookin at maff. also try cleanin ur tb
Old 07-19-05, 10:26 PM
phillipin
Driver

Well i just got the tps screws off, somehow i just put my bodyweight into the screw and both of them turned, i put the better one on top and left the mangled one off. The car now idles at 700 perfectly, the pinging still present though. maf has already been cleaned, that was my first guess. car does feel alot strong at mid range now, just that ping is haunting hah
Old 07-19-05, 10:49 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have a rotor and cap ,right?
You might want to replace them as well.

I wouldn;t blame seafoam for it running like crap.
All it does is clean carbon to a gum to be blown out.
If you needed new plugs then you needed new plugs.
You said you put it in the crankcase ,did you change the oil?
Old 07-20-05, 07:38 AM
phillipin
Driver

Well i had to adjust the tps again since i have only one screw in it at the moment. on my lunch break today im going to home depot to pick up some screws to replace the stripped ones. Im also going to swap the trac tps with the throttle tps to see if that helps.

Hopefully after replacing the screws i wont have to screw with it anymore.

I'll change the oil after a few hundred miles
Old 07-20-05, 10:33 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seafoam in the crankcase is not an additive it is a carbon cleaner.
I didn't think you can run the car with it in it .

From my understanding you dump 1 can in the gas tank
or
1/2 a can in the crankcase and run the car for about 20 minutes before changing the oil
or
pour it into the intake system until it quits( which i think is a bad idea ,why are you trying to grenade your engine ) then puring the rest in ,letting it wait a few minutes then flushing it out.

I think you need to change your oil now, before you do any serious damage to your engine from the oil being dissolved.
Old 07-20-05, 11:00 AM
phillipin
Driver

i'll do the oil change asap

Update : went to home depot on my lunch with the screw in hand. I looked at the chart and the dummy holes, the stock screw is a 4.7mm size. Unfortunetly they didnt have the correct size i got the closest in standard size and tryed it , didnt fit. So i'm out $1.08, I'll hit the ace hardware on the way home. I know my tps is working fine but i cant tighten it down enough to not go out of adjustment. I was idling at 1300 when i got back from my home depot excursion.
Old 07-20-05, 08:30 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phillipin
Well i just got the tps screws off, somehow i just put my bodyweight into the screw and both of them turned, i put the better one on top and left the mangled one off. The car now idles at 700 perfectly, the pinging still present though. maf has already been cleaned, that was my first guess. car does feel alot strong at mid range now, just that ping is haunting hah
u might not be getting enuf fuel. prolly partially clogged fuel filter. if u can get me some data what's ur maff reading, iat, tps%, short term and long term trim. and get back to me when u have that info