LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

crack my corner light housing

Old 07-16-05, 08:00 PM
phillipin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crack my corner light housing

So i decided to replace the aging headlight bulbs, i picked up a pair of silverstar silvanias, the new ones they are pushing everywhere " un " 4000k

everything went pretty smoothly, got them all in and everything back together, then i noticed my right front corner lamp is out, so i took it out and the the yellow snap with the rod was still stuck together as i pulled the assembly, the wiring looked fine but the inside of the housing has a jagged 2-3" tear, must be 15 year old plastic heated and cooled a million times, felt weak to the touch. So I'll probably just pull out the housing epoxy and silicone seal it, i'm still not sure why the bulb went out went it cracked.... very odd but i guess it was time to replace those bulbs anyways..

So a warning to those with 1st gen ls400, be very very carefull went removing the corner lamps, that prong and yellow jacket that holds it in there is very stuff and you can crack the housing.

The fix i see for this problem is take the housing out, replace the bulb, take a blow dryer and flow the air into the housing through the chunk i broke off, then expoxy the chunk i boke back on use a blwo dryer or heat gun to cure it fast and it should be as good as new untill it needs to come out again.
Old 07-16-05, 09:02 PM
phillipin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, well i just drove to my buddies house and sometime between me getting in my car with that right front light out and arriving at my buddies house the light started working. The housing is still cracked but i guess somewhere on the road trhe light reconnected car or seated properly.

so i guess next week i will go ahead and remove the housing and fix the crack + replace the bulbs, no bigg now except to make the no moisture gets in there