LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A couple sound system Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-05, 07:38 AM
tj90LS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple sound system Q's

Hello all!

This is my first visit to this forum, so thank yous are due to all of you for participating. I am a solid supporter of the forum concept (I love my Yamaha VStar forum) and will probably be here a lot more now that I've found this one. Much kudos to VRAA for his photo post on speaker installation which I just read.

Here's a couple Q's concerning Pioneer factory sound system w/o CD control.

Q1. Anyone have a solution to problem with tape drive such that it power loads the tape, thinks, then spits it back out? It used to play the tape after a couple of reinserts, but now I can retry 50-60 times and it just won't engage the drive to play.

Q2. I just replaced the factory sub which was completely dried out. It was an 8" marked 2 ohm. Thanks to the bad advice of a stereo store geek, I purchased a JL Audio 8w0 and made it fit. I was told it would work fine in a free air install, but later discovered this is not a free air sub. Oh well, its staying in there. Question is, what wattage does the factory amp send to the sub? Is it a direct connect or is it wired in series with the rear speakers? I just bought a used Jensen XA-92 (88w 2ch) for $10. I plan to connect it using the high power inputs just to give the sub a little more power. I know the speaker can handle it. I know this is a lame set up, but I can only listen to FM right now anyway. p.s. wireless FM modulators suck.

Q3. Where is the factory amp? Anyone have a wiring diagram or link which includes this amp?

Q4. Is there a decent source of constant power in the trunk for an amp or do I really have to run from the battery? Any suggestions on going through the firewall easily?

Again, thanks in advance for any advice.
peace,
TJ

**crap. I just realized I chose LS400 instead of audio category for this. Moderators please move if necessary, I cannot recategorize in the EDIT function***

Last edited by tj90LS400; 07-04-05 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-04-05, 01:48 PM
tj90LS400
Driver School Candidate

Default reply to self for sharing with others

Well I've been searching all day and have found some answers to my Q's and thought I'd share links in case anyone said "hey i was wondering that too".

Stereo wiring diagram for 91: http://www.cureline.net/lex/audio/ho...g_daigrams.htm

Amp location info: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=16689

Cassette drive problems: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...15&hl=cassette

This week I will attempt to tap into my factory amp for leads and connect this aftermarket thing I bought. I hope its worth my effort and will post further if i find anything good to share.

thanx everyone and much props to the experts whose links I attached. If it weren't for the people here who respect the idea of sharing we'd all be getting ripped off by the croox who charge for everything. THANK YOUS.
TJ
Old 07-04-05, 03:21 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Welcome and thanks for posting what you found!
Old 07-05-05, 09:43 AM
tj90LS400
Driver School Candidate

Default aah crap. I F'd it all up.

Originally Posted by tj90LS400
Well I've been searching all day and have found some answers to my Q's and thought I'd share links in case anyone said "hey i was wondering that too".

Cassette drive problems: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...15&hl=cassette

TJ

***DON'T BLINDLY ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE FRONT FACE OF THE RADIO IF YOU ARE GOING TO WORK ON IT!!****

Well, thanks to the motivation from someone's post that there are belts as the source of my tape drive problem, I opened the radio... but the wrong way. SIMPLY PRY THE TOP OFF THE RADIO. Removing the two brass screws on each side of the black plastic face is not the way in.

The face has a circuit ribbon which is plugs vertically to the inside of the radio. If you attempt to remove the black plastic face without first unplugging the strip (by pulling upward) you will most likely bend the ribbon where it attaches to the face. There is no connector on the face, it is glued. My 15 year old radio glue was too dry to handle it and separated. I attempted to reglue it but now my radio is DOA.

MEANWHILE, I figured I'd look at the tape drive anyway and check on these 3 belts that someone mentioned in the link i attached. All 3 belts are fine. Bad advice. Now I have no radio or tape.
Old 07-07-05, 03:07 AM
Rod G
Driver School Candidate

tj90LS400,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Perhaps you can ship your unit to a place in Florida called Factory Stereo Repair. I found them after a search for repair facilities:

http://www.carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm

Occasionally, you can find a replacement head unit on Ebay for about $200.

However, I had my unit (for right hand drive) repaired at a Pioneer facility here on Okinawa....they replaced my belts and cleaned up the capstans and heads.

Your factory sub amp should be mounted to the left of the fuel tank. The wiring is barely enough to support the little 40 watt amp. If you're thinking of installing a bigger amp, you'll need a better power connection to the battery. However, you should be able to tap the subwoofer output and control (amp) signal that feeds the stock amp from the head unit.

Rod G