LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'90 ls problem "dies" please please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 09:59 AM
bewtew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '90 ls problem "dies" please please help

the same day i installed a stereo system in the car my car died.
i was driving to my friends house listening to music, after driving for 70 miles the car shut down. everything worked but the car wouldnt start. the car will crank but it just wont start i let it chill for 10 mins and then the car started again drove home fine then it died again next morning i turn the car on and i went to the bank and the car died on me again so i manage to turn it on again and drove home and as soon as i pulled in the neighborhood the car die again so i tried to turn it on again and the car wouldnt turn on....it will crank but it will not go on. so i took it to a local shop and the try to fix the problem but they said that they cant figure it out...i belive is something electrical but im not sure...i just dont want to take it to the dealership yet. they said that it might be a alarm problem or ecu because everything works but it's not sending a signal to the engine
and when it did start it will idle a low. around 200rpm or so. other then that the car is perfect.
i wonder what it is. please help!!!
Old 06-21-05, 10:28 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Bewtew how much power are you running to your stereo system? Im thinking its your alternator or battery. Have your battery checked and if it checks out ok have your alternator checked. If a new alternator is needed you should just upgrade to a more powerfull one like this http://www.lextasy.com/lexus_alternator_1469_prd1.htm and this http://www.lextreme.com/alter.html. The problem also could be as simple as a loose wire or something, so have all stereo wires and ground wires checked. If its the battery ,check out optima batteries. Most of the people on the car audio forums run them. I hope I was helpfull
Old 06-22-05, 08:17 AM
bewtew
Driver School Candidate

i unplugged everything...the whole system is gone...i really dont think is the stero system.
when i took it to the autoshop they told me that the ecu wasnt sending a signal to the injectors or sparks or anything...thats why the car dosnt start but it cranks...i mean i really think it has to do with the alarm. its soo wierd because the car runs perfect when it starts i dont think altenator or battery will cause something like that
Old 06-22-05, 07:06 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

Bewtew, please tell us more. Has this ever happened before the stereo install? How many miles on your car? What year is the car, and this is an ls 400 right? Have you tried injector cleaner, or some other type of fuel or oil additive. Maybe those things can help, and you can pick them up fairly cheap and should be used as preventative maintenance. I suggest http://www.zmax.com/ , they have a whole kit for oil, gas, and auto transmission fluid. I used it on my honda accord and let me tell you that the car ran so much smoother after the aplication. Maybe it is a dirty throttle body , intake manifold ,oxygen sensor, pcv valve. These are just some things to possibly check out. We have to trouble shoot from as many angles as possible. Hopefully some of the more advanced members will chime in and give you some more helpfull info .
Old 07-04-05, 08:12 AM
bewtew
Driver School Candidate

my car is at the lexus dealership right now....hopefully they can fix it...and im sure is going to cost me a lot of money....but i just need my car fixed. it's a wierd problem and i have never ever heard about it...
Old 07-04-05, 09:27 AM
reincheque
Driver School Candidate

Default this sounds a little like...

...the problem I'm having with my 94 LS (see 94 LS "cuting"(sp.) out). The low idle speed is a factor with me too. When the AC "powers down" the revs can drop to around 400 rpm. Recommended idling speed is 650-750, I understand. I *could* trying driving with the AC off, but where's the fun in that...:-)

djp

HTML Code:
www.reincheque.com