LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just gotta 98 Ls; Which bulbs to get for xenons

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 07:47 PM
lexodude
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just gotta 98 Ls; Which bulbs to get for xenons

Hey everyone, I just gotta 98 Ls for my 16thh bday and its really sweet , its what ive always wanted. Its white on tan w/ 78K miles. Anyways I want to make the front lights blue so I want to order new bulbs and i dunt know what to order so if someone can answer my question it wuld be great, although I know it's probably been answered many times.

Thanks
Old 06-15-05, 08:26 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexodude
Hey everyone, I just gotta 98 Ls for my 16thh bday and its really sweet , its what ive always wanted. Its white on tan w/ 78K miles. Anyways I want to make the front lights blue so I want to order new bulbs and i dunt know what to order so if someone can answer my question it wuld be great, although I know it's probably been answered many times.

Thanks
lol hey bro you aren't the only one who got one of those for there 16th b-day...
I think our package is the 9005...I'll check up on it for ya bro.

Last edited by TJW98LS; 06-15-05 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-15-05, 10:57 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don’t have factory HID’s, then you need to buy an HID assembly, ballast, and bulb off eBay from a donor 98-00LS. Low beams for the NON-HID LS are 9006 I believe. 9005 is for high beams.

The housing assembly is different, the bulb is different, and you need a ballast or converter to power the HID's.

TJW98LS - The bulbs that I got were D2R bulbs, for my factory HID system. I already had HID's on my LS from the factory, so I just changed the bulbs, and the difference was night and day.

So if you want to put HID's in the right way, you need to buy the HID Assembly because it’s different from the NON-HID one. IF you don’t, you will get a lot of glare, and legal issues since Non-factory HID's are illegal.

If I were you, I would just buy 2 used assemblies off eBay for $600 that come with everything. You won’t have the Auto-Leveling feature, but its better then halogens.

Check out the stickes in the lighting forum for more info:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting/77044-confused-between-hid-and-halogen-bulb-type-here-s-the-answer.html
Old 06-16-05, 12:02 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
If you don’t have factory HID’s, then you need to buy an HID assembly, ballast, and bulb off eBay from a donor 98-00LS. Low beams for the NON-HID LS are 9006 I believe. 9005 is for high beams.

The housing assembly is different, the bulb is different, and you need a ballast or converter to power the HID's.

TJW98LS - The bulbs that I got were D2R bulbs, for my factory HID system. I already had HID's on my LS from the factory, so I just changed the bulbs, and the difference was night and day.

So if you want to put HID's in the right way, you need to buy the HID Assembly because it’s different from the NON-HID one. IF you don’t, you will get a lot of glare, and legal issues since Non-factory HID's are illegal.

If I were you, I would just buy 2 used assemblies off eBay for $600 that come with everything. You won’t have the Auto-Leveling feature, but its better then halogens.

Check out the stickes in the lighting forum for more info:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77044
I saw a couple of Xenon headlights for sale on ebay for $400, would those work?
Old 06-16-05, 12:21 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

You mean assembly, bulbs and ballast? Make sure they are all included in the sale. They need some wiring, but will work. A LLLLLLLLLOT of the guys in the GS form made the switch over. Also, make sure non of the tabs are broken.
Old 06-16-05, 04:30 PM
lexodude
Pole Position

I do not have stock HID's. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was only talking about getting new bulbs like PIAA or something like that and I just wanted to know which bulbs to get, not enough $$$ for the real ones.

So its 9006 for the lows and 9005 for the highs?

Thanks
Old 06-16-05, 05:50 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

I do not have stock HID's. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was only talking about getting new bulbs like PIAA or something like that and I just wanted to know which bulbs to get, not enough $$$ for the real ones.

So its 9006 for the lows and 9005 for the highs?

Thanks
Right he is lol Just don't mix them up.
Old 06-16-05, 10:31 PM
lexodude
Pole Position

Thanks for the replys
Old 06-25-05, 04:47 PM
lexodude
Pole Position

Hey,

I got Sylvania Silverstars but I dont know how to get the headlight undone so I can install them. I did a search and didn't find anything and I also looked through the manual and couldnt find anything. If anyone knows how to get the headlights undone it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-25-05, 04:53 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Hey,

I got Sylvania Silverstars but I dont know how to get the headlight undone so I can install them. I did a search and didn't find anything and I also looked through the manual and couldnt find anything. If anyone knows how to get the headlights undone it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Yea it's a real pain in the ***, I just had a mechanic change mine, but if anyone knows how to do this, let me know.
Old 06-25-05, 05:49 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Yes, its actually simple.

There are three visible bolts you have to take out. Then there’s a screw on top of the signal lamp you have to undo, then pull the SIGNAL lamp out, its going to be very tough, but you need to pull hard. The signal lamp will come out, then there’s one more bolt to take out, and the headlight will come out.

NOTE: there is a tab holding the signal lamp to the headlights, thats whats going to give you trouble.
Old 06-25-05, 05:52 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Here you go my man, its for the first gen LS's, but its the same way with our 98's+.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/kno..._v2&id=191&c=7
Old 06-25-05, 07:41 PM
lexodude
Pole Position

Hey thanks so much grand_Ls4, I did it right after I got your first reply . I think it looks much better now, now i have to get the fog lights changed. The fogs require the same bulbs as the lows right, 9006? Is there a tutorial or any directions you can give me on changing those?

Thanks
Old 06-25-05, 10:21 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Hey thanks so much grand_Ls4, I did it right after I got your first reply . I think it looks much better now, now i have to get the fog lights changed. The fogs require the same bulbs as the lows right, 9006? Is there a tutorial or any directions you can give me on changing those?

Thanks
You're welcome

Yes, they are 9006. You should have replaced them while you had the headlights out, because if you looked down, you could have easily pulled them out.

However, the other way is to do them from the bottom. Unscrew 3 screws holding the plastic cover (No need to remove it completely) stick your hand in, twist the bulb (from the 6oclock position, to the 3oclock position if your facing the front), and out it comes. Unplug the old, and reverse the process.
Old 06-26-05, 03:16 PM
lexodude
Pole Position

This is before with the regular halogens

AFTER-NEXT PAGE
Attached Thumbnails Just gotta 98 Ls; Which bulbs to get for xenons-yellow.jpg  

Last edited by lexodude; 06-26-05 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Just gotta 98 Ls; Which bulbs to get for xenons