LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Factory vs. Non-Factory Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-05, 10:56 AM
agc
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory vs. Non-Factory Chrome

I have been looking at wheels for my LS and have a question. What is the difference between factory chrome and non-factory chrome. Is there a difference in quality, appearance or reliability. I have looked at several ads and notice that sellers definitely emphasizes factory chrome over non-factory. I was just wondering why. Lastly how can you tell something is factory chrome plated or not.

Thanks
AGC
Old 04-14-05, 11:53 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Factory Chrome

What they mean by factory chrome is the wheels are from either Lexus , Mercedes, Honda etc. and they are chrome. Most aftermarket chrome knock-offs are non-factory chrome wheels. Also aftermarket wheels like Lexani have lower trade in values than factory made wheels, these are also non factory chrome wheels. The wheels I like are factory wheels because when you trade in your car with factory wheels chrome or alloy your not penalized. Aftermarket and non factory chrome wheels are always deducted from dealerships trade-in values.( GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME)
Old 04-14-05, 12:05 PM
agc
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

usermel,
Thanks for the quick response

I guess what I am really asking is if you buy a car with factory chrome wheels, it means it came front the factory that way. Now what I mean by non-factory chrome wheels is when you take an original silver factory wheel and send it to a chromer to be chromed.

Which one is better (quality, appearance or reliability). Also how do you tell the difference
Old 04-15-05, 09:29 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Chrome wheels

You can tell if its a real Lexus wheel thats been chromed by an emblem that is put in the wheel at the factory. Ask your local dealer for more info they have more knowledge than I do. I do know that its always easy to tell quality if the wheel is clean, you will see that that finish has a solid look. If its not a good chrome job it will look like its melting and uneven. Your best bet is to buy from another Lexus owner who doesn't wqant there chrome wheels or from your local dealer, cost more but they will be real wheels. Also on the web there are some search's you can run on google to find what you want. Be patient mostly and remember cheaper isn't always better but it can be. If you are not sure don't buy at all. The safest bet is the sure one, Like the great coach of UCLA said (John Wooden) to his players, be quick but don't hurry. Be sure about your choice of chrome because knock-offs have little resale value to those who know fakes. Go to the dealership (Lexus) and look at a car on the lot and check the wheels for this symbol or ask a salesman. If a pair of lexus wheels you want doesnt have this symbol don't buy.I don't know about Benz,Jag, and other car company sybols for factory wheels. God shopping. (GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME).