LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 LS400 stereo installation? HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 08:40 PM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 LS400 stereo installation? HELP PLEASE!

I am trying to install a custom head unit and ive been searching for the dash kits high and low and i cant seem to find one for my model (1990 LS400) ive also read alot about the stereo removal/speaker removal and such, and they say they are all the same from 90-96 i think it was...if i bought a kit for a 91-96 ( http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/998153.html ) would it work? please help before i spend 200$ to get a custom kit made

thanks
-PlutoBHG
Old 04-07-05, 10:17 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Welcome to the LS forum..

Here's a step by step tutorial that should help you out:

http://www.lexls.com/head_unit.html

As for the installation kit, he went with the metal one ($50):

http://www.sfxaudio.com/cgi-bin/search.asp?q=lexus

The one you found is a lot cheaper, so I'm guessing it's not made out of metal? Plus there are no pics or description of it, so you don't know exactly what you're getting. If they say it fits '90-'96 models, then you'll just have to take their word for it.
Old 04-07-05, 10:20 PM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

Oh Man

Thank You So Much!!!
Old 04-07-05, 10:24 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PlutoBHG
Oh Man

Thank You So Much!!!
Don't thank me, thank LexLS.
Old 04-07-05, 10:28 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're welcome

Thanks for linking Brian
Old 04-07-05, 10:59 PM
gowest
Driver

If you have good skill with woodwork. I think you can do it by yourself. Mine is made from wood and cover with leather.
Attached Thumbnails 1990 LS400 stereo installation? HELP PLEASE!-dsc02096.jpg  
Old 04-08-05, 06:48 PM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

same head unit i ordered
Old 04-08-05, 10:01 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks very nice gowest
Old 04-10-05, 07:48 PM
Rod G
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gowest
If you have good skill with woodwork. I think you can do it by yourself. Mine is made from wood and cover with leather.
Gowest,

That's a really nice install and body kit! What is the small unit above your radio? I see you have the right-hand drive model. I recently purchased a 1990 (1994 US) right-hand model here in Okinawa. I'm still looking for tech manuals in English. Have you found any good sources? What are the differences, if any, between the right/left-hand Celsior and LS 400?

Did you trash your stock radio and CD player?

Rod G
Old 04-10-05, 08:03 PM
gowest
Driver

Originally Posted by Rod G
Gowest,

That's a really nice install and body kit! What is the small unit above your radio? I see you have the right-hand drive model. I recently purchased a 1990 (1994 US) right-hand model here in Okinawa. I'm still looking for tech manuals in English. Have you found any good sources? What are the differences, if any, between the right/left-hand Celsior and LS 400?

Did you trash your stock radio and CD player?

Rod G
It was HKS eletronic valve control (Boost control- I have 2JZ-gte engine swap). I think both share the same engine - trans and most electronic stuff. Some JDM Celsior might have more options than US spec car. Such as power rear seat, air sus, etc.

Trash it alraeady, the cassette is not working.
Old 04-10-05, 09:39 PM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

i still have my stock nakamichi radio with the 6 disc changer that i am removing, probably taking the amp out as well...if you want them...

so i looked at all the posts on the subject and all i could find was someone saying that a scosche toyata '87 and up wire harness would work to xover the nakamichi to an aftermarket (pioneer 7700) , i asked around at some of the custom audio shops out here and they said that nothing would fit and the post for the scosche one says that you lose the sub when using it...

im trying to put in a new amp/sub/headunit and im wondering what i should do? i can handle installing the new sub but wiring for the new amp/head unit...im lost
Old 04-10-05, 09:47 PM
gowest
Driver

this might help.
http://www.cureline.net/lex/audio/ho...g_daigrams.htm
Old 04-10-05, 09:57 PM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

yea that helps

but what am i supposed to do, cut all the wires from the original harness and splice them to one that goes to the new amp/head unit?
Old 04-10-05, 10:25 PM
Rod G
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PlutoBHG
i still have my stock nakamichi radio with the 6 disc changer that i am removing, probably taking the amp out as well...if you want them...

so i looked at all the posts on the subject and all i could find was someone saying that a scosche toyata '87 and up wire harness would work to xover the nakamichi to an aftermarket (pioneer 7700) , i asked around at some of the custom audio shops out here and they said that nothing would fit and the post for the scosche one says that you lose the sub when using it...

im trying to put in a new amp/sub/headunit and im wondering what i should do? i can handle installing the new sub but wiring for the new amp/head unit...im lost
PlutoBHG,

Is your LS right-hand drive? Is the head unit (to include cassette bay) & CD changer in good working condition? If so, maybe we can work a deal. I plan to install another amp for the door speakers and one to power two 12s in the trunk....or maybe a high-power free-air sub in the factory subs place. I really like the "stock look" of the original head unit. However, I've been exploring 2din units as well...don't like having to stop and go to the truck to change CDs.

I'm just exploring my options! Please let me know.

Rod
Old 04-10-05, 10:36 PM
PlutoBHG
Rookie

the head unit is in good working condition, the cd changer just got back from being repaired and supposedly works now but the cd cartridge is jammed in there so im planning on checking it out when i remove it in the near future here

and no its a left side drive

Quick Reply: 1990 LS400 stereo installation? HELP PLEASE!