LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What octane gas do you use? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 08:13 PM
BobN54
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fixmiester
...Higher octane fuel allows the engine to have higher compression without pre-ignition (pinging), and it might allow slightly advanced timing. ...:

Pinging (aka knocking) is not pre-ignition. It is detonation. Two different phenomena. Detonation is the result of abnormal combustion after the spark. Pre-ignition is the ignition of the mixture before the spark occurs. Pre-ignition is seriously destructive.
Old 05-07-12, 07:45 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You are correct; I am guilty of using terms that, although familiar, were not totally accurate. This thread definitely has nine lives. Long live the forum.
Old 08-30-12, 10:55 AM
JRF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have not read then entire thread so sorry if this has been asked before. Question is that I can buy ethanol free gas close by from a distributor. Problem is its only 90 octane and is raw gas with no additives.

Last year I drove cross country and blundered in a gas station in Sweetwater Texas with ethanol free gas. From San Diego to Sweetwater I averaged right at 25 mpg at 85 mph. After filling up from 1/4 full in Sweetwater I got right at 28mpg at 85 mph.

My question is if the 90 octane is OK and if I need to buy some type of additive to add when I fill up. I only drive about 600 miles a month.

Thanks,

John

PS My car is a 2000 LS 400 with 91k miles
Old 08-30-12, 11:06 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I can only get 91 octane now in PR. I don't see why 90 would be a problem. I would run a bottle of the Lucas Oil fuel treatment every 2 -3 tanks. Much more effective then the standard additive in most gas. I'm a big fan of their products. I run a bottle though mine every 3 tanks or so myself.
Old 08-30-12, 03:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JRF
Hi,

I have not read then entire thread so sorry if this has been asked before. Question is that I can buy ethanol free gas close by from a distributor. Problem is its only 90 octane and is raw gas with no additives.

Last year I drove cross country and blundered in a gas station in Sweetwater Texas with ethanol free gas. From San Diego to Sweetwater I averaged right at 25 mpg at 85 mph. After filling up from 1/4 full in Sweetwater I got right at 28mpg at 85 mph.

My question is if the 90 octane is OK and if I need to buy some type of additive to add when I fill up. I only drive about 600 miles a month.

Thanks,

John

PS My car is a 2000 LS 400 with 91k miles
"raw gas" is actually not sold at any gas station in the country, for quite some time gasoline has had required detergents and additives mandated by the federal government.

the increased fuel mileage you saw was probably a direct result of the decreased ethanol content, as ethanol contains less energy than gasoline does.
Old 08-30-12, 05:13 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
as ethanol contains less energy than gasoline does.
But requires more energy and increases global pollution to manufacture. It is such a joke.
Old 08-30-12, 05:55 PM
mike171333
Rookie

Default ethanol

Originally Posted by mehall
I'm in Missouri, and all gas has at least 10% ethenol, which is NOT good for my 25 year old Porche and a real concern. So....

How is ethenol working out for Lexus? I've been buying premium at a Casey's stations and getting about 22mpg. We just got this car on the road 2 weeks ago.

Will the contnued use of 10% cause an issue? Some companies are using ethenol as a cheap road to higher Octane (which makes sense since the ethenol burns slower than gasoline), Will this be a problem for my 94 LS400 with ~200k?

I've heard rumers that MO will be - or aleady has - mandating at least 15% Ethenol.....what will that bring?
check this website
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MO
Old 08-31-12, 03:41 PM
JRF
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
"raw gas" is actually not sold at any gas station in the country, for quite some time gasoline has had required detergents and additives mandated by the federal government.

the increased fuel mileage you saw was probably a direct result of the decreased ethanol content, as ethanol contains less energy than gasoline does.
I figured that the lack of ethanol was the reason for the increased gas mileage. That is why I want to start using it. It's the 90 octane that bothers me. Btw, this isn't a gas station. It's a distributor that sells to gas stations. The lady I spoke with said it had no additives. Maybe she misunderstood what I was asking. I will call them again.

http://www.sawhite.com/

Last edited by JRF; 08-31-12 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 03:44 PM
JRF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I can only get 91 octane now in PR. I don't see why 90 would be a problem. I would run a bottle of the Lucas Oil fuel treatment every 2 -3 tanks. Much more effective then the standard additive in most gas. I'm a big fan of their products. I run a bottle though mine every 3 tanks or so myself.
I use 93 octane here in Atlanta since I can buy it but in San Diego the best I could get was on 91 and it ran fine. Thanks.
Old 08-31-12, 04:47 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JRF
I figured that the lack of ethanol was the reason for the increased gas mileage. That is why I want to start using it. It's the 90 octane that bothers me. Btw, this isn't a gas station. It's a distributor that sells to gas stations. The lady I spoke with said it had no additives. Maybe she misunderstood what I was asking. I will call them again.

http://www.sawhite.com/
How much a gallon would it cost for you to buy fuel from them? I assume you have or are going to put a small tank of your property. Another option is to buy in
bulk bulk
or the packs of the additive from Costco. Personally, I can feel the difference in power with the Lucas product, which is why I recommend them over the many other crappy products out there. Again, most of the country is only running 91 so you running 90 and then mixing in your own additive would be better then what is out there. The Lucas stuff is fantastic.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-31-12 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 06:13 PM
JRF
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
How much a gallon would it cost for you to buy fuel from them? I assume you have or are going to put a small tank of your property. Another option is to buy in bulk or the packs of the additive from Costco. Personally, I can feel the difference in power with the Lucas product, which is why I recommend them over the many other crappy products out there. Again, most of the country is only running 91 so you running 90 and then mixing in your own additive would be better then what is out there. The Lucas stuff is fantastic.
She quoted $4.35 a gallon. I was not going to put a tank on any property. This place sells to the public. Thanks for the reply
Old 08-31-12, 07:27 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JRF
She quoted $4.35 a gallon. I was not going to put a tank on any property. This place sells to the public. Thanks for the reply
$4.35 Average price in GA is only $3.85 At that price it is not worth it. In PR, I pay $1.05 a liter right now or right at $4.00 a gallon for 91.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-31-12 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-01-12, 05:18 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Lucas makes snake oil and nothing else...
Check out bobistheoilguy if you want to delve further into the subject.
Old 09-01-12, 08:20 AM
LS4001UZPW
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the local gas stations near me has 91 the highest. There is only one in town which has 94 but is ethanol free.

I was wondering if I can switch between 94 and 91 because 94 is a bit too much. Just wondering if mixing ethanol free gas ans ethanol gas will cause any issues? Usually when I fill with 91, I always add a bottle of octane booster.
Old 09-03-12, 06:14 AM
JRF
Rookie

Originally Posted by LS4001UZPW
All the local gas stations near me has 91 the highest. There is only one in town which has 94 but is ethanol free.

I was wondering if I can switch between 94 and 91 because 94 is a bit too much. Just wondering if mixing ethanol free gas ans ethanol gas will cause any issues? Usually when I fill with 91, I always add a bottle of octane booster.
It wouldn't cause any issues. It would just dilute the % of ethanol in the mix. I would run the 94 corn free alone if I could get it.

John

Quick Reply: What octane gas do you use? (The Mother thread)