LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Starter change

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-05, 02:44 PM
Greydog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter change

Hi All,

I've decided to replace the starter in the LW's LS400.

I've read the pros and cons of doing it, but am not sure what all I need.

Starter? ....Check
Intake Manifold Gaskets? Check
Coolant Tube O-ring?...... Check. (Anyone know the dimensions)

Anything else?

I have a three day weekend coming up, I'll have help and It's supposed to rain!

I did read somewhere that it is necessary to lower the engine. True?

Thanks for all of your help,

Greydog
Old 03-25-05, 02:33 PM
Greydog
Driver School Candidate

Default Starter replacement update

Hi Gang,

I started the starter replacement on the '95 today. As I am in no hurry, I decided to look for different ways of doing it.

I started with the local library and used their Alldata connection to get specific instructions about the job. (if you haven't used Alldata, see if your library subscribes to it) I printed 42 pages of step by step procedures @ 10 cents a page, complete with illustrations and hints about special tools, etc. It covered both removal and installation.

Even if you go to the trouble of removing all of the stuff that is in the way, removing the starter mounting bolts is tough. I used my Dremel tool to slot the end of the bolts. After breaking them loose with a 14mm wrench, I used a screwdriver in the slots to screw them out all the way. I just had to remind myself to turn them the "wrong" way. I left them "hanging" in the holes in the block rather than removing them all of the way.

It took a little dexterity to get the bolts started in the new starter, but once they were started, I tightened them with a screwdriver. It saved a lot of backache and time. After they were run in as far I could get them ( gotta go backwards) I used the wrench to do the final tightening.

At this point, I quit for the day. For what it's worth, I did take the old solenoid apart. As described in a lot of posts, one of the contact points was almost gone. If you've seen it, you know what mean.

I don't know if any of this makes any sense to anyone, but I thought I'd relay my experience.

The new starter is installed. Tomorrow I'll put everything back together. If this doesn't fix the starting problem, I'll shoot myself!!

Sorry this was so long,

Greydog
Old 03-25-05, 05:35 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Thanks for the progress report.

for the rest of the re-assembly.
Old 03-27-05, 07:57 PM
Greydog
Driver School Candidate

Default Starter replacement revisted II

Hi All,

I finished the starter replacement on the LW's LS400 yesterday.

As I said in the earlier thread, there are different ways of doing it. I forgot to mention that you can remove the throttle body and the air plenum as a unit. Most of the instructions that I read said to remove the throttle body and then remove the air plenum but, that isn't really necessary. .

The install was pretty much straight forward. I highly recommend marking all of the hoses and electrical connectors, though. It is amazing how many there are!

When replacing the anti-freeze, I found that filling it into the plug on the front of the engine worked pretty well. After the block was full, I added the rest to the reservoir.

The net result is:

1) It works!
2) It seem as though the engine cranks a lot faster
3) Saved a bunch of money
4) I am a hero!

While it wasn't easy and it was time consuming, I'd certainly suggest that anyone with proper tools and a place to work should do the starter replacement themselves.

I should mention that I got the intake manifold gaskets from Advance Auto. It was a Felpro product, and to my surprise, the 4 plenum to intake manifold were included. I didn't have the heart to tell my son that I didn't need the ones that he went out of his way to bring me.

In summary, do it yourself, get past the mystique and don't be afraid of screwing it up. There is almost nothing that can't be fixed.

I want to thank everone that helped me with this project,

Greydog
Old 03-28-05, 12:41 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greydog
Hi All,
In summary, do it yourself, get past the mystique and don't be afraid of screwing it up. There is almost nothing that can't be fixed.Greydog
Congradulation on finishing what sound like a big project.

Do you think you can write a rough procedure how to change the starter for us future DIY? Which parts to remove and in what order would be great.
Thanks!
Old 03-28-05, 12:43 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Well done...that is a job to be proud of.

I noticed how quickly mine started as well.
Old 03-28-05, 02:03 PM
Greydog
Driver School Candidate

I will try to write a procedure for the starter replacement. Give me a few days.

I did take notes and pictures, but I never referenced the pictures. I more or less winged it!

Again, thatnks for all of the encouragement,

Greydog
Old 03-28-05, 02:17 PM
Greydog
Driver School Candidate

Opps, Me again,

When I get the starter outline finished, where shoukl I submit it?

Thanks,

Greydog
Old 04-20-05, 06:34 PM
Greydog
Driver School Candidate

Default Starter Replacement...again

Hi All,

I wanted to up-date the results of my recent starter replacement and let you all know that I haven't forgotten that I "owe" a summary to the list.

Since I replaced the starter on the LWs LS400, it starts perfectly every time. She is one happy peep now!

I have started a MS Word summary but, due to personal reasons, I have not finished. I am not sure how to post it once I do get it finished, so any help there would be welcome.

Greydog