LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Purpose of Undertray???

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 06:51 PM
squeekyM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purpose of Undertray???

Hi everyone,

Quick questions here.... is there any mechanical purpose to having that plastic undertray underneath the engine compartment on the car. I am just really tired of removing it when I need to do an oil change. Does it effect engine temperature or the air flow to the radiator for any reasons? Any one here just opt to leave it off? Thanks everyone. Let me know.
Old 03-09-05, 07:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welecome

It will only effect the airflow beneath the car. Since we aren't in wind tunnels, any negative impact won't be obvious. The only other thing is there may be some additional road dust/dirt that will find way into the engine compartment.

Some thoughts: The oil filter and along with other hoses down there may be subject to damage by road hazards. YMMV
Old 03-09-05, 07:32 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Welecome

It will only effect the airflow beneath the car. Since we aren't in wind tunnels, any negative impact won't be obvious. The only other thing is there may be some additional road dust/dirt that will find way into the engine compartment.

Some thoughts: The oil filter and along with other hoses down there may be subject to damage by road hazards. YMMV
As RA40 mentioned, so its prolly best to leave it on. You might do away with some of the bolts, but keep the cover.
Old 03-09-05, 07:41 PM
squeekyM
Driver School Candidate

sounds good, thanx
Old 03-09-05, 10:00 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Im not sure what year LS you have...

But i took mine off 4 months ago. I live in Seattle and rain is our sunshine. Engine compartment stayed the same as it did when I had the plastic undertray on. No noticeable difference between wind turbulence underneath the car whatsoever.

But like RA40 mentioned about the oil filter and some lines being damaged. Just be careful driving and take your time getting up and down the driveway and you should be fine.

Now oil changes for me is a breeze.
Old 03-10-05, 06:18 AM
xirforever
Lead Lap

I never had to take off my cover to do an oil change... what year LS are you guys? Im first gen...

But that cover will really help in the snow and just keeps all the crap from the road out of your engine bay. One time i was at the Lexus dealership by me and they claimed it will hurt your MPG if you take it off, but i dont know how true it is, they said it tho.
Old 03-10-05, 05:10 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by xirforever
I never had to take off my cover to do an oil change... what year LS are you guys? Im first gen...

But that cover will really help in the snow and just keeps all the crap from the road out of your engine bay. One time i was at the Lexus dealership by me and they claimed it will hurt your MPG if you take it off, but i dont know how true it is, they said it tho.

They are most likely talking about Aero Dynamics. It might have some effect when you do a lot of highway driving.

In addition, it gives you SOMEWHAT of a down force at high speeds to make it more stable. That’s why all the high-end cars have FLAT underbodies.

EDIT: Wind noise is another reason as well.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 03-13-05 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-13-05, 04:24 PM
ChuckH
Driver School Candidate

Engine Cowling (both top and bottom) became standard on high end cars Circa '90. The top cowl was to cover up the works of the engine for the buyer, who in that price range for transport will never touch anything under the hood.

Only the very front bottom cowl will do anything for aerodynamics, and only at speeds we should not be driving at. However, it does help the under carriage stay clean, which is critical in cold weather zones (road salt rots everything faster).

If you have to remove cowling that often, leave it off, there will be no difference in the car performance that you will see.
Old 03-13-05, 08:36 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Whoot! Whoot! BS alert!

Originally Posted by ChuckH
The top cowl was to cover up the works of the engine for the buyer, who in that price range for transport will never touch anything under the hood.
That's like saying the shrink-wrap on the Playboys at the 7-Eleven mag racks are to keep bible-thumpers from viewing the centerfold.

If the fat cats don't want to see the engine, then they don't pop the hood.