LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anyone know what this is?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 07:11 AM
jasonmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know what this is?

I got oil leaking right here, and as you can tell I don't know much about cars. Everything I've learned, I've learned from here. However I don't know what this is sits behind the oil pan, and before the transmission I believe. I just fixed the oil pan leakage problems a couple of months ago, and now it's leaking from this spot. What is this? and why would oil be leaking here? is this common?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what this is?-img_0861aaa.jpg  
Old 01-26-05, 07:13 AM
jasonmo
Driver School Candidate

Here's another image...its leaking like right through the joints, or where its says leak. And it's dripping bad.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what this is?-img_0865aaa.jpg  
Old 01-26-05, 07:49 AM
leosls400
Driver

Looks like you have a bad oil seal. Either from the engine or transmission, depending on the oil type leak. There is a rear crankshaft oil seal located behind the drive plate and then there is the front transmission oil seal located behind the torque converter. Either one, the transmission has to be removed for replacement.
Old 01-26-05, 02:52 PM
jasonmo
Driver School Candidate

Have any idea of how much this will cost, taking out the tranny and replacing the oil seal? This car has been great but now it's like one problem with antoher. Shocks shot, Oil leaking, PS leaking, Beautiful white smoke everytime I start it in the morning (from CL I've learned it the PS leaking I think), and A/C going in and out on me. I guess I will have to go ghetto on my car, and fill the oil every two weeks, and wait till she dies huh?
Old 01-27-05, 08:01 AM
leosls400
Driver

Wow, how long have you owned your Lexus? Have you done all those repairs?

About the white / greyish puff of smoke, yes it is power steering fluid leaking into the air intake manifold. This is caused by a faulty / bad air control valve located under the PS pump. you can veify if its bad by removing the hose located in front of the Air Intake manifold and checking for PS fluid, if present, you need to replace the air control valve. See picture attached

As for the cost, my friend just had a leak similar on his 95 LS400, his was the transmission oil seal, they charged him $800. Also, if you do decide to do this, if you have not done before, replace the EGR pipe that is located between the engine and transmission, this is another item that may need replacing as it is a common item that goes out. FYI - If EGR pipe cracks in the future after you fix this leak and want to repair, transmission has to be dropped just to get to this pipe, which equals to more $$$$.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what this is?-power-steering-air-vaccum-hose_closeup1.jpg  
Old 01-27-05, 08:01 AM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice

Correct me fellas if I'm wrong, but isn't that the rear main seal?

I thik we all have that problem and it is a pain.

When I first got my 92, it left a puddle the size of my hand every night and now it leaks maybe two drops in a couple days.

I don't know how I got it to slow down.
Could be a couple things.

Better oil, Better filter, Changing it on time!

Putting a sticky additive, driving it for a couple hundred miles then draining that gunk and replacing filter and oil with GTX.
Costly move but I'd rather not pour Oil and $ into my car every day.....Better to do it every once in a while. Easier on my pocket.

That seal cost like under a G to replace because of all the labor.
I think.

But I'd just be better at maintenance of the car and you should be okay.

Also, if you clean up all the other maint. related issues, overall the car's little issues will slow down or go away. (its been my experience.)
i.e. --> fuel system cleaner, air filter, fuel filter, tune up - wires + plugs, PCV, coolant flush if needed...... bla bla bla

MY 2 ¢

Lorenzo
92 LS400 172k
Old 01-27-05, 11:11 AM
Redcat
Driver School Candidate

Is the oil puddle black or rather red? Red generally indicates ATF from trans, black rather engine oil. Probably engine oil I guess. In that case next guess is the rear engine seal.
But both leaks require separating the box from the engine. Although I haven't done such a job on a Lexus my experience is that you must count with 3 to 4 man/days. Maybe less if you are lucky. The cost for the seal will be the smallest amount on the bill.
It's definitely a job for pros but not necessarily for a Lexus stealer. Anyone could do it.