LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Price on 60K service please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-05, 09:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Price on 60K service please?

its about that time, im nearin the big 60k on the 2000 LS400 and was wondering what im lookin at pricewise. also, what will actually be done to the car for that amount. any recomendations on where to get it dont? (im in Chino Hills)

thnx in advance for any help!

Last edited by PureDrifter; 01-03-12 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-25-05, 11:23 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly doubt any so called "real service" has been done to this car with 44k prior to you purchasing it from that Infiniti Dealership other then inspecting things.

This thread should help you out.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...k+service+cost
Old 01-26-05, 09:42 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpLS-96
I highly doubt any so called "real service" has been done to this car with 44k prior to you purchasing it from that Infiniti Dealership other then inspecting things.
[/url]
I'm not sure what SharpLS-96 meant by the above comment. I suspect that maintenance was up-to-date at the time you purchased your LS since it likely would have been within its four year/50,000 mile basic warranty period (in-service date plus 4 years). It is fairly unusual for a buyer of a new LS to skip regular maintenance and even less likely (e.g. lease requirement) for a lessee to skip maintenance. Any Lexus dealer should be able to verify service if it has been done at a Lexus dealership. If not, you might ask a Lexus dealer to contact the orginal owner/lessee for information.

I purchased a 00 LS (in-service date 07/31/2000) from a small independent dealer in Nov 03 and the original selling dealer was quite happy to contact the original lessee to inquire about missing keys (which showed up in the mail a few days later from the auction) so I would expect that a dealer would be willing to contact a prior owner/lessee for maintenance information if absolutely necessary.

Your car likely has time/mileage left on its 6 year/70K miles drive train warranty and 8 year/80K miles emission system warranty so it pays to keep up the approprate maintenance to keep all warranties in effect. You should know your car's in-service date!

It is not necessary to get carried away with maintenance. Just follow the maintenance schedule in your "2000 Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement". Unless you really do "regularly" use your car as explained in "Special Operating Conditions" (very few do), it is not necessary to do the additional severe service maintenance. Remember, the service department is the number one revenue producer in a dealership and, while the additional services they push generally won't hurt, then again they won't help your car either.

As to cost, I really can't remember what I paid for the three 60,000 miles services on my 1st LS - the records went with the new owner. I suspect that, late this year, I will pay $600 - $1000 for the 60K service on my 00 LS when I take it to my favorite independent repair shop - owned and staffed by former Lexus dealer employees.

FYI, contact Lexus for free replacements if you do not have the Owners's Manual and Owner's Manual Supplement.
Old 01-26-05, 11:10 AM
jtparkes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer I take mine to just quoted me $835 for the 60,000 mile service on my '99. The big items as I recall were oil, tranny fluid , and coolant change, new sparkplugs, inspect lots of stuff. Seemed a little steep to me, althought maybee that's just Lexus maintenace cost sticker shock now that my CPO warranty is running out....

I was thinking along the same lines as Jim: get out the scheduled maintenance task list from the manual and perhpas price only important stuff.

Jeff.
Old 01-26-05, 11:57 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
I'm not sure what SharpLS-96 meant by the above comment. I suspect that maintenance was up-to-date at the time you purchased your LS since it likely would have been within its four year/50,000 mile basic warranty period (in-service date plus 4 years). It is fairly unusual for a buyer of a new LS to skip regular maintenance and even less likely (e.g. lease requirement) for a lessee to skip maintenance. Any Lexus dealer should be able to verify service if it has been done at a Lexus dealership. If not, you might ask a Lexus dealer to contact the orginal owner/lessee for information.

I purchased a 00 LS (in-service date 07/31/2000) from a small independent dealer in Nov 03 and the original selling dealer was quite happy to contact the original lessee to inquire about missing keys (which showed up in the mail a few days later from the auction) so I would expect that a dealer would be willing to contact a prior owner/lessee for maintenance information if absolutely necessary.

Your car likely has time/mileage left on its 6 year/70K miles drive train warranty and 8 year/80K miles emission system warranty so it pays to keep up the approprate maintenance to keep all warranties in effect. You should know your car's in-service date!

It is not necessary to get carried away with maintenance. Just follow the maintenance schedule in your "2000 Lexus Owner's Manual Supplement". Unless you really do "regularly" use your car as explained in "Special Operating Conditions" (very few do), it is not necessary to do the additional severe service maintenance. Remember, the service department is the number one revenue producer in a dealership and, while the additional services they push generally won't hurt, then again they won't help your car either.

As to cost, I really can't remember what I paid for the three 60,000 miles services on my 1st LS - the records went with the new owner. I suspect that, late this year, I will pay $600 - $1000 for the 60K service on my 00 LS when I take it to my favorite independent repair shop - owned and staffed by former Lexus dealer employees.

FYI, contact Lexus for free replacements if you do not have the Owners's Manual and Owner's Manual Supplement.

I typed that late last night so I may have been a bit tired and I apologize if it didn't come across clear.

What I meant to say is that I'm sure normal routine service has been done ie: oil changes etc have been performed but not the timing belt (that's what I meant by "real service"- I should have said "major service" wrong choice of words ) since no one would do that with only 44k miles on the car.

Hope that cleared it up.