LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Whats the difference of driving with Tracs OFF and Tracs ON?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-05, 06:28 PM
LexCarPC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the difference of driving with Tracs OFF and Tracs ON?

Can someone explain Whats the difference of driving with Tracs OFF and Tracs ON?
I recently bought my 95 LS400 and it didnt come with a manual. I never had a Lexus before, and I never had a car with TRAC.

1. Do I get more power if I turn TRAC Off?
2. When is TRAC needed?

Thank you for your time.
Old 01-08-05, 08:43 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by LexCarPC
Can someone explain Whats the difference of driving with Tracs OFF and Tracs ON?
I recently bought my 95 LS400 and it didnt come with a manual. I never had a Lexus before, and I never had a car with TRAC.

1. Do I get more power if I turn TRAC Off?
2. When is TRAC needed?

Thank you for your time.
If you contact Lexus U.S. directly, I believe they will send you an owners manual at no charge.

I would leave the traction control on at all times. You don't get any more power by turning it off. It is there in case you your wheels start to slip whether it be driving in a straight line of turning a corner too fast on slick roads. The system will cut in & cut engine power (and apply the brakes to the individual wheels / tires as needed) in order for traction to be regained & keep you in control. Get the free owners manual & it will explain things in more detail.
Old 01-08-05, 08:51 AM
LexCarPC
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your reply. I will contact Lexus then for a manual then.

Just wondering though, why would someone want to turn it off? Cause the button is there to turn TRAC off.
When would someone want to turn it off? Thanks again.
Old 01-08-05, 10:40 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Just wondering though, why would someone want to turn it off? Cause the button is there to turn TRAC off.
When they want to launch the car hard, or powerslide without the system intervening.
Old 01-09-05, 02:11 PM
hlovepenn
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Texas, they require an emissions test and they put the driv e wheels on a dynamometer type roller setup so that they can test the engine under load. With trac ON, you can't run the test because the car senses the rear wheels spinning and the front wheels stationary and applies the brakes. Turn trac OFF and the rear wheels turn without the brakes being applied. Trac is especially important on slick streets when trying to accelerate. Good luck with it and welcome to the BIG L! I'm on my second and my wife is on her first!
Old 01-09-05, 04:47 PM
LexCarPC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hlovepenn
Here in Texas, they require an emissions test and they put the driv e wheels on a dynamometer type roller setup so that they can test the engine under load. With trac ON, you can't run the test because the car senses the rear wheels spinning and the front wheels stationary and applies the brakes. Turn trac OFF and the rear wheels turn without the brakes being applied. Trac is especially important on slick streets when trying to accelerate. Good luck with it and welcome to the BIG L! I'm on my second and my wife is on her first!
Wow, that's a good reason why you might want to turn trac off. Excellent example hlovepenn. Thank you. My first Lexus, and love it. Happy to be here.
Old 01-09-05, 07:04 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Wow, that's a good reason why you might want to turn trac off. Excellent example hlovepenn. Thank you. My first Lexus, and love it. Happy to be here.
It's good advice to leave the TC on at all times
Old 01-13-05, 02:57 PM
psychot|K
Driver School Candidate

To impress the ladies