LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Chrome Wheels

Old 12-20-04, 01:11 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chrome Wheels

When I purchased my car last summer it was on the floor and did not have the chrome wheels on it. The dealer installed the wheels for the same cost as the option (rip-off). This weekend out of curiosity I opened the spare tire cover and alas the spare is the polished alloy wheel. When purchasing the chrome wheel option, is the spare also chrome?

Thanks,
Old 12-20-04, 04:05 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lkirchner
When I purchased my car last summer it was on the floor and did not have the chrome wheels on it. The dealer installed the wheels for the same cost as the option (rip-off). This weekend out of curiosity I opened the spare tire cover and alas the spare is the polished alloy wheel. When purchasing the chrome wheel option, is the spare also chrome?

Thanks,

I'm not sure, but if I bought 2 brand new high-end Lexy's from one dealership, my spare better come in chrome.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 12-20-04 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 05:26 PM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

Smile

That is such a funny reply!!!!!
I was going to say...................... NO........
till i read your reply,,,,,,,,
NOW HELL YES you should have a chrome spare!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-04, 05:39 PM
400Stylin'
Driver School Candidate

hehe, im rollin on 20s, and my spare is a 17" space saver...
Old 12-20-04, 07:42 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I've noticed on the options list the past few years that a chrome spare wheel has not been part of the chrome wheel option. A chrome spare wheel has been offered as a separate option. My LS came with a chrome wheel option but my spare wheel is regular alloy. I never thought it was a big deal since I never use the spare in the normal tire rotation. Come to think of it, I've had only one flat tire in just under 15 years of driving LS cars - maybe I don't need a spare tire at all. Besides, I use after-market wheels with snow tires for about four months of the year so my spare wheel is not going to match my winter wheels anyway - if I ever have a flat.

There are companies that can provide you with another chrome wheel on an exchange basis if you really want one. Or you could send your spare wheel out to be chromed. A local Kansas City company re-chromed my next door neighbor's LS wheels and he got them back looking like new in just a few days.
Old 12-21-04, 11:13 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kansas
I've noticed on the options list the past few years that a chrome spare wheel has not been part of the chrome wheel option. A chrome spare wheel has been offered as a separate option. My LS came with a chrome wheel option but my spare wheel is regular alloy. I never thought it was a big deal since I never use the spare in the normal tire rotation. Come to think of it, I've had only one flat tire in just under 15 years of driving LS cars - maybe I don't need a spare tire at all. Besides, I use after-market wheels with snow tires for about four months of the year so my spare wheel is not going to match my winter wheels anyway - if I ever have a flat.

There are companies that can provide you with another chrome wheel on an exchange basis if you really want one. Or you could send your spare wheel out to be chromed. A local Kansas City company re-chromed my next door neighbor's LS wheels and he got them back looking like new in just a few days.
Thanks,

What was the name of the company?
Old 12-21-04, 04:11 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I would think that there would be a store near where you live which could chrome your spare wheel or get you a chrome wheel on an exchange basis. Of course, I can't tell where you live.

My next door neighbor took his LS wheels to this store for re-chroming:

Hub Cap and Wheel Store
2810 S 44 ST
Kansas City, KS 66106
Phone 913-432-0002
Old 12-21-04, 04:18 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

my GS came with the 17" chrome wheels.. The spare was not chromed but I did have tehm swap it out for me, I am pretty sure the charged me something but it was a lot less than the full price of a chrome wheel.
Old 12-21-04, 05:26 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Morris made a point. You've got $120,000+ of nearly new Lexus cars. Surely the dealer would cut you an excellent deal to get you a chrome spare if you want one.

One more thing. Last year when the local Lexus dealer replaced my chrome wheels under warranty, I was told that the replacements did not come directly from Lexus. He told me that all Lexus chrome wheels are chromed in the U.S. by aftermarket companies. Could this be true or was he B.S.-ing me?
Old 12-21-04, 09:54 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's your money, but IMO paying extra for a chrome spare is overkill, unless you are a cost-is-no-object, my-car-must-look-perfect-24/7 kinda guy. The spare is not meant to be mounted for any long duration, just to get you from wherever you got the flat to wherever you want the flat fixed. In most of our cars, once you replace the factory tires, the spare tire will no longer match the other four, so you don't want it on your car for very long, anyway.

And as already pointed out, most of us do not get flats very often these days. That chrome spare may never see the light of day- what a waste!
Old 12-22-04, 12:53 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Morris made a point. You've got $120,000+ of nearly new Lexus cars. Surely the dealer would cut you an excellent deal to get you a chrome spare if you want one.

One more thing. Last year when the local Lexus dealer replaced my chrome wheels under warranty, I was told that the replacements did not come directly from Lexus. He told me that all Lexus chrome wheels are chromed in the U.S. by aftermarket companies. Could this be true or was he B.S.-ing me?

About the aftermarket chrome, I would think thats a true statment. Lexus does not offer chrome wheels anywhere around the world.
Old 12-22-04, 06:43 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

OK, I'm full of $#!+.

I just now looked at the CPO model library at http://www.lexus.com/ and found that my 2000 LS chrome wheel option was supposed to have come with a chrome spare. Prior to 2000, the chrome spare was a separate option. I apologize for the bad information.
Old 12-24-04, 07:57 AM
ron36330
Pole Position

Default Mine came with 5 chrome wheels.

lkirchner;
I purchased my 03 LS430UL in Jan of 03. I special ordered the car in OCT 02 and specified "chrome wheels". The car was delivered from the factory with 5 chrome wheels. The option was not PIO specified so I assume they were chromed and installed in Japan to Lexus specifications.
Hope this helps.
Ron
Old 12-24-04, 12:30 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Yea my 2002 GS300 came with the chrome wheel option 1700 which was on the window stick and which was a complete rip off but he gave it to me because that was the only car he had in the color I wanted. But anyway my spare tire is a chrome rim. I think because it wasn't from the factory thats why it's not chrome.
Old 12-25-04, 08:17 AM
carguyay
Rookie

Question chrome rims

My 2004 came with 5 chrome 18 inch wheels. Is this forum having a problem ? I logged in three times. I also had the same problem last week and never got in.Larry