LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 08:04 AM
CityofOaks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel Vibration

I've got a '04 LS430 with the Sport Suspension and 12,500 miles. About two months ago (at about 11,500 miles) a shimmy or vibration developed in the front, right (passenger) side at two different speeds - around 40ish and around 60ish. It's still under warranty so I took it in to the dealership. They said that they rotated the tires and balanced the wheels. I left and still had the vibration.
I took it back in and they said that a wheel weight had fallen off - so they replaced the weight, rebalanced and sent me on my way. Still got a vibration.
I took it back in (this time the service tech is riding with us) - the service tech noticed the vibration too. This time they road force balanced it. I left the dealership and it was just like I'd driven it off the lot for the first time - no hint of a vibration... UNTIL about 2 days later (I hadn't driven it for 1.5 days). The vibration was right back but now I only notice it around 40mph. So I took it back to the dealership.
The service tech rides again and he still feels the vibration too (so I'm not crazy - at least with regards to this). He said it might be a wheel bearing so they start looking. I get a call that the tires need to be replaced - they say the tires have cupping. I couldn't feel the cupping but I'm not an expert so I assumed they were right. I asked the service consultant what caused that - he jokingly said 'your driving' - then revised it to say that the softer tires and hard cornering could both cause cupping. Well, I drive the car but I don't think that I drive like I'm on a racetrack. Anyway they replace the tires (no charge to me... goodwill) but the vibration is still there. So now I'm throughly disgusted

I'm ready to take it to somebody who can fix it - I've had it in the dealership FIVE times including the time that I took it back in when the new tires arrived... this is getting ridiculous. Anybody got any suggestions about what else could be causing it. I've got an appt to take it to our previous mechanic (a garage that I really trust) but that's not until after Christmas.

I really like my car. But this annoyance is just about to sour me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-04, 10:54 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you take it to your mechanic he may start replacing parts in order to fix the problem until he does get to the part that is bad. But the disadvantage of this is that you will have to pay for every single part he replaces+labor. Your choice. By the way, you mentioned you have sport suspension so I assume you have 18" wheels. What kind of tires? Did they replace the tires with the same tire brand/model? That may be the cause. If the wheel bearing is bad it would usually make wining noise. Also, how are you so positive that it's on the right side?
Old 12-17-04, 01:24 PM
nagasakki
Rookie

Exclamation

i don't think it's your wheels, you may wanna check the suspensions too, since you already tried replacing tires.
Old 12-17-04, 03:30 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

check rotors and pads for being "glazed",,,,,,,,,,term mechanics use
Old 12-17-04, 05:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This may not be a tire issue. Have you had any hard impacts: pot holes, curbs...? Is the vibration localized or does it seem to vibrate the whole car?

Random thoughts:
Drive shaft
tranny
tranny mount
engine mount
strut
out of round wheel/bent
could be tires or some other suspension issue
Old 12-17-04, 08:32 PM
CityofOaks
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by audphile1
Well if you take it to your mechanic he may start replacing parts in order to fix the problem until he does get to the part that is bad. But the disadvantage of this is that you will have to pay for every single part he replaces+labor. Your choice. By the way, you mentioned you have sport suspension so I assume you have 18" wheels. What kind of tires? Did they replace the tires with the same tire brand/model? That may be the cause. If the wheel bearing is bad it would usually make wining noise. Also, how are you so positive that it's on the right side?
Yeah, we really don't want to take it to someone other than a Lexus dealership but at this point it seems fairly obvious that they aren't going to be able to fix it. They've had it five times and have yet to determine the cause, they seem to just want to balance it. Which is not working.

It has 17" wheels. The tires are Bridgestone. They replaced the tires with the exact model that was on it - I had to wait an extra 11 days to get those tires. Do you think I should try a different brand tire? It hasn't always driven this way. It just started in October '04 - I bought the car in December 03.

I don't hear a whining noise but it was the service tech that indicated it might be a bad wheel bearing - I don't have a clue. I just like to get in and drive it... I can change the oil, I've replaced a water pump in a different car and some other minor things but a mechanic, I'm not.

I can just feel it in the right side (I guess I'm not positive that it's there but I'd bet a huge chunk of money that's where it is and I'm not a betting person), my husband can feel it in the right side, the front seat passenger can feel it (I don't feel it in the rear seats), the service tech said he definitely felt it in the right, front area. It feels very much differently than a bumpy road that you feel all over... at times, it almost feels like that front, right wheel is going to come off.

I'm desperate to find out what's causing this - I'm embarrassed to have someone ride with me (Lexus would be embarrassed too). Embarrassed that I've spent this kind of money on a car that rides this poorly.

Thanks.

Last edited by CityofOaks; 12-20-04 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 08:33 PM
CityofOaks
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by nagasakki
i don't think it's your wheels, you may wanna check the suspensions too, since you already tried replacing tires.
Have you got anything in particular that I can tell the service people to check. I'm so frustrated that I'm not taking it back to the dealership but my husband says that he's going to this coming week.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-04, 08:34 PM
CityofOaks
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by blueGS400
check rotors and pads for being "glazed",,,,,,,,,,term mechanics use
OK. Thanks, I'll write that down.

I appreciate everyone that's giving me something to go on.
Old 12-17-04, 08:41 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

in in nc also, which dealership u takin it too,,,,,,,,,,im at an advantage i guess cuz i have a rim and stereo shop and the guy i hired to install the rims and tires for me and run my hunter road force machine is a certified mechanic and an awesome one at that, so repairs dont cost me much and he always seems to know exactly what the fix is,,,,,,,,,,,hope i have him for a long time needless to say
Old 12-17-04, 08:44 PM
CityofOaks
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by RA40
This may not be a tire issue. Have you had any hard impacts: pot holes, curbs...? Is the vibration localized or does it seem to vibrate the whole car?

Random thoughts:
Drive shaft
tranny
tranny mount
engine mount
strut
out of round wheel/bent
could be tires or some other suspension issue

Nope, I haven't hit any curbs (many years ago, I did hit a curb in an ice storm with my old Honda - that's a trip I don't want to take again).

I have hit some minor pot holes but nothing major (nothing teeth rattling). Nothing that was bad enough that I remember it.

The vibration is localized - it's almost more of a shimmy or a bumping. Almost like if you were trying to drive with the emergency brake on but only in that front, passenger side area. I rode in it tonight in the back seats and didn't feel a thing. We (me, husband and the service tech) all feel in in the steering wheel too.

I'll write down all of your random suspicions for dh to ask the service people about. We'd considered the bent wheel but I would assume (and I know how that can get me in trouble) that the service department would have checked for that.

Thanks for all of your ideas, I truly appreciate it.
Old 12-17-04, 08:48 PM
CityofOaks
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by blueGS400
in in nc also, which dealership u takin it too,,,,,,,,,,im at an advantage i guess cuz i have a rim and stereo shop and the guy i hired to install the rims and tires for me and run my hunter road force machine is a certified mechanic and an awesome one at that, so repairs dont cost me much and he always seems to know exactly what the fix is,,,,,,,,,,,hope i have him for a long time needless to say

I guess I can say the dealership name - if not supposed to, I need the moderator to let me know.

I bought the car at Johnson Lexus (Capital Blvd, Raleigh) and I've only taken it there... so far anyway.

I hope you can keep your guy too - he appears to be invaluable.
Old 12-20-04, 12:27 PM
nagasakki
Rookie

Sounds like your rubbing your tire(s). Was the car lowered? try checking the height of that side.

also try checking the height with someone sitting on the passenger side.

Last edited by nagasakki; 12-20-04 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 09:09 PM
CityofOaks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nagasakki
Sounds like your rubbing your tire(s). Was the car lowered? try checking the height of that side.

also try checking the height with someone sitting on the passenger side.

Thanks for weighing in... the car hasn't been lowered (to my knowledge). The front, right tire didn't look like it's been scrubbed but I'll have the service people check the height. I'll check anything...

Thanks!
Old 12-20-04, 10:56 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Have somone follow you and check each side of the car as it goes down the road over varing road surfaces. I'm suspecting possible a dead strut that is allowing the wheel to bounce as it goes over the road surface.
Old 12-21-04, 10:52 AM
nagasakki
Rookie

that's also what I was suspecting too...wheel bouncing while driving. can't tell when your car is sitting.

Quick Reply: Wheel Vibration