LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Never ceases to amaze me...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 04:18 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Never ceases to amaze me...

What comes out of some people's mouth. We had a Christmas get together at work today in NJ. Our whole group attended including our big boss. I had to take off a litlle earlier then everyone else because I had to go and pick someone up. So, here I am exiting the bar and at the same time the big boss is leaving. She is right behind me walking out. We come out talking and she is pretty nice. My car is parked close by and I hit an unlock button, the lights flash. All of a sudden, the expression of her face changes when she sees my car. Next thing I hear is "Nice car you are driving. We are paying you too much." When I looked at her after she said that, her lips were all crooked and looked deformed like after a stroke. Jealousy written all over her face. She made my day. Now I am pissed. I felt like making her a nice knuckle sandwich. But held up. She made my day though 'cause now I'm pretty angry and was cursing the whole way home.
Old 12-16-04, 04:34 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn bro, talk about a bittersweet ending to that scenario I wonder what's going to happen the next day at work.
Old 12-16-04, 05:09 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I can fix that for you. You can have my Huffy sport bike, for your LS430. Then they'll HAVE to give you a raise!
Old 12-16-04, 05:21 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Originally posted by lexusk8
Damn bro, talk about a bittersweet ending to that scenario I wonder what's going to happen the next day at work.
telling you man. at this point I am so pissed that if there is more to come, I am just going to go off like a missile on that biatch
Old 12-16-04, 05:35 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Originally posted by vraa
I can fix that for you. You can have my Huffy sport bike, for your LS430. Then they'll HAVE to give you a raise!
and in this case they will asume that I am saving money by riding a bike to work, so again, I have too much money by not having any car expenses and still don't deserve a raise loose-loose situation my friend. these people have their own mind set. because they are morons and can't even control what they are saying when they get their jealousy break outs. it's like a tourette syndrome. stupid $#it just flies out of their sewers when they see someone driving a Lexus. for them Lexus is an exotic. at the same time, they have 3 or 4 cars in the household and a $750,000 house. but that's them. they are allowed. but me driving a LS430...oooh that's too much for them to bear. It's hard earned money so why should anyone have an opinion on what kind of car I drive. hate this so much though...
Old 12-16-04, 06:32 PM
zach
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it all the time man, and I had a '97 ES300. Now, I've got a 2001 BMW 330i and the hate is ALL around. It's incredible. I think I'm a nice guy, generous, outgoing, cheerful, modest... and then people get so, so mad when they see a college student driving a nice car. It's really unpleasant.
Old 12-16-04, 07:39 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

that's unreal. I think I would preffer knowing that they thought about it but never actually said anything, because it's simply enough to look at their faces and realize what is going through their mind when you pull up into a parking garage at work and someone sees that you have a nice car. Where I work, most people don't even wash their cars. I've been asked more then once by people at work "how come your car is so clean? why are you washing your car every week. it's a waste of money". weird isn't it.
Old 12-17-04, 11:28 AM
jvcn
Driver School Candidate

You could try saying something to defuse the envy.

Mine is a 95 but people mistake it for a later model. When they get that look on their faces I just say, "Yeah I got it really cheap off Ebay. A bit over 8 grand." [True.]

Then they just look at me, smile in that conspiratorial way (as if to say, You lucky dog) and go, "That's great! How'd you do that?" By shifting to bargain hunting mode, you get them on your side.

You could tell a little white lie about what a bargain it was and say it was an amazing deal or lease or whatever, and then they get all friendlier.

Or maybe people in the Midwest are just nice.
Old 12-17-04, 12:05 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Originally posted by jvcn
You could try saying something to defuse the envy.

Mine is a 95 but people mistake it for a later model. When they get that look on their faces I just say, "Yeah I got it really cheap off Ebay. A bit over 8 grand." [True.]

Then they just look at me, smile in that conspiratorial way (as if to say, You lucky dog) and go, "That's great! How'd you do that?" By shifting to bargain hunting mode, you get them on your side.

You could tell a little white lie about what a bargain it was and say it was an amazing deal or lease or whatever, and then they get all friendlier.

Or maybe people in the Midwest are just nice.
I guess I was kind of cought off guard with that one, so I wasn't prepared. Plus most people can't tell between an '01 LS and '04. All they see is a big L and that just fills their eyes with blood. Also, I don't feel like they should know how much the car cost, regardless of how good of a deal it was. I don't usually answer if someone asks me how much I paid, because I never ask anybody that question, feeling that I am putting a person in an awkward situation. I don't mind teling how much I pay for things to my friends though. No problem with that. But it is upsetting when someone makes jealous comments. I know few people here at work that just notice right away when someone gets a new car. Makes them crazy. I was even asked once how many cylinders does the LS430 have. I said to the person that it's a V8, so the next thing they ask is " why do you need 8 cylinders? where are you going to go with it? " This is actually my favorite one. Just makes me laugh.
Old 12-17-04, 02:59 PM
WileCoyote
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, this happens to me too. One day I drive my wife's 2003 Infiniti FX35, the next my LS430. All they can say is "Must be nice" not seeing me walk out the night before at 10:00PM and back in at 07:00. All people see is what's in front of them. In most situations dealing with corporate America, it's unfortunate, but perception is everything.

Last edited by WileCoyote; 12-17-04 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 03:27 PM
RJML
Driver School Candidate

Was she totally being serious or just trying to be funny? I could jsut see her trying to make a joke even though it was a stupid one. I have found most humans attempt to make lame jokes for the sake of hearing themselves talk.

If she was being serious then bro, don't sweat it. Let her be ignorant like most of society.
Old 12-17-04, 05:48 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

yeah she was serious. I looked at her when she said it and it almost seemed like this just broke out of her without her having any control of what she was saying. Yeah I agree, it's corporate America all right. The people are just ignorant. When I am there working on weekends and sometime during holidays, get calls during the night 'cause they need my opinion/help on something, get calls on weekends and work all day long sometimes without any breaks and lunch, but somehow this is not something she sees. What she sees is what other people have and it makes her say stupid crap like that. Unfortunately, she isn't the only one. Some people just have more control over what they are saying. That I think is the difference. But in majority, this is our corporate America. I totally agree.
Old 12-17-04, 09:35 PM
jvcn
Driver School Candidate

As an immigrant, I gotta tell you guys: it's not corporate America, it's humanity. In fact, I find American businessmen to be among the least unreasonable and insensitive I've met around the world.
Old 12-17-04, 10:08 PM
WileCoyote
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by audphile1
What she sees is what other people have and it makes her say stupid crap like that. Unfortunately, she isn't the only one. Some people just have more control over what they are saying. That I think is the difference. But in majority, this is our corporate America. I totally agree.
You're right it's only what people see. They have no idea of the responsibility most of us have in our jobs. We work hard for what we have. I got so pissed one day I told some guy at work when he gave me the "It must be nice" line that he could have the keys to my corner office, my cell phone, my pager, being on call 24 hours a day, working during vacation, working while sick, etc. He got the point and walked away embarrassed. Yeah we may get paid the big bucks but as all of you, there aint nothing for free in this world.

It gets so I don't even want to drive my car to work. I've considered by an old POS just to drive to work.

This is how we choose to spend our #@%$ Money, they need to get over it.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 12-20-04, 11:28 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WileCoyote

It gets so I don't even want to drive my car to work. I've considered by an old POS just to drive to work.

I told this same thing to my buddy the other day. I should just buy an old POS car to commute.
May be this is what needs to be done. This way everyone will be happy and I won't annoy anyone with my LS430.

Quick Reply: Never ceases to amaze me...