LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Loose Steering...

Old 12-10-04, 03:16 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Loose Steering...

I just had my rack replaced at the dealer and now my steering feels too loose! I guess the correct word is "over boosted". This feels okay driving on streets sometimes, its easy to park and make those right turns where the wheel snaps back nicely... but I don't enjoy having to turn my wheel 3x times just to make a turn..(an exaggeration..but you know what I mean..) On the freeway the entire car feels loose.. Driving at higher speeds doesn't feel as good and firm as it used to. I prefer a much heavier feel to the steering wheel..

Before I had the rack replaced my steering feel was intermittent. At times it felt overboosted, at times it felt more solid. The feel would change every couple of times I drove it. I did a search on the forums and it seems that someone was able to get their rack adjusted, while others called dealers and were told that no adjustments could be made. THe GS owners are lucky because they can get an l-tuned steering ECU. Do we have anything comparable?

Are there any quick solutions to this problem? Only thing I can think of is resetting the ECU entirely, and messing around with fluid levels... but this might not be a good idea. Does opening and closing the resevoir cap make any difference? Any help would be appreciated...

Also.. I'm looking into buying the daizen bushings and replacing my control arms all together sometime soon...how big of a difference will that make with the entire feel of the car? I've heard nothing but good news about the daizen bushings..

- Suneet
Old 12-14-04, 11:40 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No one has had this problem before?