LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

GS or LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-04, 04:20 PM
DrumProdigy83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS or LS

Hey guys, I already posted about this on www.is300.net and the GS portion of this site. Basically, I have $25-35k to spend next year on a car. I want either a 2002-2003 GS430 or 2001 LS430. The GS seems good for me because I like both the sport and luxury aspects of it. However, the refinement, ride, and luxury all seem to be much better in the LS (not that the GS is bad). The LS is slightly slower, but what is 0.5sec in 0-60mph anyway... negligible. I won't race either car, it will just be a car for highway driving mostly but occassional around town driving. I will buy it right before I go into medical school so for about 4 years or so I won't really be driving it much at all. It's just kind of a present to myself for getting through college and starting medical school.

I also don't plan on buying certified used... is that a bad idea? I am afraid to buy the LS over the GS because I am afraid that the steering will feel way too numb. I've heard the GS is bad, I could only imagine how bad the LS is. I won't mod either car, except maybe add front and rear strut / anti-sway bars, and maybe tighten up the suspension or something. I haven't yet driven either car so it's all just speculation. Either car will be my first Lexus. Here are the cars I've owned so far:

1996 Dodge Neon 2.0L 5spd
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L auto
2000 Honda Accord EX 2.3L 5spd sedan (current)
1990-1995 Honda Accord / Civic (buying in a month)

Basically, other than the Jeep, I haven't had any really powerful cars. As much as I love driving manual, I think I enjoy the drive even more in automatic. I want a luxury car for sure, but don't want to sacrifice the fun / enjoyment of driving. The GS seems to fit what I am after, and is more affordable, but the LS is... an LS lol. Just curious what you guys think of the GS430 vs the LS430, if you had considered it before you bought the LS, and what you guys think of my situation. Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-02-04, 05:08 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Re: GS or LS

Originally posted by MSU PreMed
I will buy it right before I go into medical school so for about 4 years or so
OK, this may sound crude but please tell me that this question is some sort of a joke...

If someone who thinks he is going to go to med school is asking this sort of question then I strongly doubt that he has the maturity it takes to become an M.D. Someone entering med school - if he makes it through - should not be concerned about buying a car since he is not going to have a "life" for six or seven years.
Old 12-02-04, 05:23 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Re: GS or LS

Originally posted by MSU PreMed

I also don't plan on buying certified used... is that a bad idea? I am afraid to buy the LS over the GS because I am afraid that the steering will feel way too numb. I've heard the GS is bad, I could only imagine how bad the LS is...... The GS seems to fit what I am after, and is more affordable, but the LS is... an LS lol. Just curious what you guys think of the GS430 vs the LS430, if you had considered it before you bought the LS, and what you guys think of my situation. Thanks for all your help!
This is my opinion:
This is a pretty tough call if I was also in your shoe . I won't comment on your financial background, but on a more professional level, the LS might suit you better once you're in school and especially AFTER school....you're going to need to pay back those loans, save up to open a practice...so you might not need to worry about buying another car. It would be a good "professional" car. After driving the GS (from age 25-30), I (now 31) want an LS now b/c once you're in that mature/professional level and conducting business around other professionals, it does help to achieve that image. IMO, a GS is for the younger crowd but doesn't look right when you're older......So looking back and almost being in the same situation as you, I would pick an LS-this is just me

I'm not sure what you're talking about the numb feeling on the steering, but I have absolutely no problem with the GS steering-only vibration due to unbalanced tires. Good luck and let us know what you pick
Old 12-02-04, 05:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Default Re: Re: GS or LS

Originally posted by Kansas
OK, this may sound crude but please tell me that this question is some sort of a joke...

If someone who thinks he is going to go to med school is asking this sort of question then I strongly doubt that he has the maturity it takes to become an M.D. Someone entering med school - if he makes it through - should not be concerned about buying a car since he is not going to have a "life" for six or seven years.
Kansas,

The member is asking for advice on buying a car, not commentary on his finances or life choices. Let's keep on topic please.
Old 12-02-04, 05:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Like the post in the GS forum, I used the search feature for 'GS430 LS430' and pointed at the LS forum

Here are some past threads where this has been discussed some by members of the LS forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=ls430+gs430
Old 12-02-04, 05:35 PM
DrumProdigy83
Driver School Candidate

Thanks GS3tek. It is reassuring to hear that the steering isn't as bad as I thought. I will be 22-26 when in medical school, so probably around 30 by the time I'm done and out doing my own thing.

Kansas - The financial aspect shouldn't concern you. I asked about a comparison between the GS and LS, so your post on this thread was useless. FYI, I will be paying for the car myself in cash that I've been saving up. I will have up to $35k set aside for the car in a year and that's all I have to spend. I won't have car payments while in school so what does it matter? I expect YOU to be more mature and answer the question at hand next time instead of offering your opinion on matters that really are none of your business. Thanks.
Old 12-02-04, 05:51 PM
Diesel11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Med School

I am an MD and had a base Honda Civic in residency (couldn't afford car in med school). I loved that car but it in no way compares to my 2001 LS430. I would definitely get the LS. Who cares what anyone else thinks anyway? The GS is just not as good a vehicle in my mind. Just my opinion.

BTW Good luck!

Fred
Old 12-02-04, 06:25 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Re: Re: GS or LS

Originally posted by GS3Tek
This is my opinion:
. . . . . . After driving the GS (from age 25-30), I (now 31) want an LS now b/c once you're in that mature/professional level and conducting business around other professionals, it does help to achieve that image. IMO, a GS is for the younger crowd but doesn't look right when you're older......
Don't tell bitkahuna that I think it's a good bet the average age of GS owners is MUCH older than you (Average age of Lexus owners overall is 51)
Old 12-02-04, 06:45 PM
DrumProdigy83
Driver School Candidate

Wow you all seem to agree on the LS. Cool. So as far as driver enjoyment I guess the LS isn't too bad? How is reliability? How much more expensive is the LS to the GS in maintenance? The people I've talked to so far have said that the LS is the most reliable Lexus, but also the most expensive to repair... but then again if it's the most reliable it really doesn't matter how much it costs to fix because repairs pretty much won't ever be necessary. Originally I wanted a BMW but the reliability and maintenance costs were just too bad.

A friend of mine also said he read a comparison between a 1995 LS400 and BMW 745i and the LS was rated as MUCH more reliable than the BMW.... this a 10 year old car versus a brand new one, and the older car was MUCH more reliable... amazing. I can't wait to buy a Lexus, I'm still just not sure which one. I am curious what the 2006 IS will be like, and if it will be within my price range still....

Last edited by DrumProdigy83; 12-02-04 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-02-04, 08:17 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey MSU Pre-Med, you're obviously a smart guy, so take the 35 grand and use it for a down payment on a house to live in while you're in school. With real estate booming and the stock market in the dump, don't waste it on a friggin car. If you can avoid paying rent on an apartment, do it. If I was ~22yrs old (which I'm assuming you are if you just finished college) and had 35K to blow, I'd try to turn it into 100K by the time I got out of school, not spend it on a car. Cars are ****ty investments. (Thats why I just bought a new set of 20" AC Supremes! -YEAH!) Honestly, a young guy IN SCHOOL kinda looks a little ridiculous driving an LS430, even if you did pay for it in cash. Use your dough wisely, you'll need it when you get out.

When I was in dental school, I drove an 87 Honda Accord with 200k miles on it and it was great. I didn't have to worry about keeping it clean, where I was parking it, etc. I could concentrate on school and playing golf and partying. (Everybody else in school drove pieces of **** anyway, and the faculty will laugh at you like "hey look at this guy, he thinks he's got the degree already and he doesn't know ****!")

When the Honda died I bought a 93 LS400 (this was in 2000) with 118K on the clock because it was nice looking, cheaper than a new Civic, about $13K, reliable, and big enough for my 6'2" frame and all my friends. Drove it to 200K also. If you need the size and luxury, the steal is a mid 90's LS with lower miles, maybe a 95-97 or a 98.

Now that I'm out of school I can afford my 2001 LS430 Ultra. Don't get me wrong, this car is the shiznit but back then would it have been the smart thing to do? Nope. To each his own, but the $$$ return on a properly invested 35K in four years, while you've got your face buried in a book, is a no brainer.

One more thing - don't advertise the whole pre-med, med school, gonna be a doctor bit so much - nobody cares. (RE the first response above) You'll realize this once you actually get the degree. And stay away from the stupid academic-related vanity license plates like some of the front-row dorks get - MD2BE, MEDBOY, DOCSLEX etc. You'll really look like a conceited jerk-off. You know what I'm talking about.
Old 12-02-04, 09:35 PM
DrumGuy21(old ID)

Thanks for the post JCPDMD, it was both humorous and insightful. Oh, this is my new username btw, I didn't really like MSU PreMed much at all - my usual name 'DrumProdigy83' didn't fit so I had to think up something on the fly lol.

I know investing is always a good decision, but can't I do that AFTER I'm out of school when I have more money to invest? I am working my butt off for this $25-35k, but eventually after med school it won't be difficult at all to invest $25-35k or more. Once I get out of school I plan on paying off my student loans right away before I start spending money anywhere else. At the same time or just after I plan on also buying a home. This $35k I will have in a year is money that I have worked my butt off to earn so that I could buy a nice yet reliable car that will get me through the rest of school and even years beyond that. Just because I have $35k doesn't mean I have to spend ALL of it. If worse comes to worse I could get a 2004 IS300 and throw what's leftover ($15-20k ?) in the bank or something.

You and one other person has brought up the whole investment thing and it's killing me. Everything is always later... Invest now and enjoy later... wait now and have fun later... work hard now and relax later... Why can't I enjoy ONE thing now? I am working NOW so I can enjoy in a year. Doesn't this work into that equation? I know one of the worst investments a person can make (on paper) is a car. However, I don't think that you can put a price on happiness, and I owning a nice and reliable car like Lexus will allow me to really enjoy those times I am driving and give me the peace of mind that comes with owning a Toyota/Lexus that it will not break as long as I maintain it.

I'm sure my mind will change a lot between now and a year from now as far as many things are concerned, but I don't want to be walking down the wrong path the whole time... Would I really be making a mistake if I bought a car after college? All I'd have to worry about is insurance, which my parents said they'd pick up (and just fyi, I have always paid for all my cars and the insurance... the only thing my parents would do is sign in their names because of my lack of credit... the Lexus will be no different except that I will be paying cash so if anything it will be a more independent purchase than ever). So please just reassure me that I am not ending the world by purchasing a car instead of investing my measly $25-35k...
Old 12-02-04, 09:41 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by jpcdmd
Hey MSU Pre-Med, you're obviously a smart guy, so take the 35 grand and use it for a down payment on a house to live in while you're in school. With real estate booming and the stock market in the dump, don't waste it on a friggin car. If you can avoid paying rent on an apartment, do it. If I was ~22yrs old (which I'm assuming you are if you just finished college) and had 35K to blow, I'd try to turn it into 100K by the time I got out of school, not spend it on a car. Cars are ****ty investments. (Thats why I just bought a new set of 20" AC Supremes! -YEAH!) Honestly, a young guy IN SCHOOL kinda looks a little ridiculous driving an LS430, even if you did pay for it in cash. Use your dough wisely, you'll need it when you get out.

When I was in dental school, I drove an 87 Honda Accord with 200k miles on it and it was great. I didn't have to worry about keeping it clean, where I was parking it, etc. I could concentrate on school and playing golf and partying. (Everybody else in school drove pieces of **** anyway, and the faculty will laugh at you like "hey look at this guy, he thinks he's got the degree already and he doesn't know ****!")

When the Honda died I bought a 93 LS400 (this was in 2000) with 118K on the clock because it was nice looking, cheaper than a new Civic, about $13K, reliable, and big enough for my 6'2" frame and all my friends. Drove it to 200K also. If you need the size and luxury, the steal is a mid 90's LS with lower miles, maybe a 95-97 or a 98.

Now that I'm out of school I can afford my 2001 LS430 Ultra. Don't get me wrong, this car is the shiznit but back then would it have been the smart thing to do? Nope. To each his own, but the $$$ return on a properly invested 35K in four years, while you've got your face buried in a book, is a no brainer.

One more thing - don't advertise the whole pre-med, med school, gonna be a doctor bit so much - nobody cares. (RE the first response above) You'll realize this once you actually get the degree. And stay away from the stupid academic-related vanity license plates like some of the front-row dorks get - MD2BE, MEDBOY, DOCSLEX etc. You'll really look like a conceited jerk-off. You know what I'm talking about.
Some good advice there jpcdmd, couldnt have said it any better
Old 12-03-04, 02:49 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Whatever car you choose, you'll enjoy and it is for the moment. If it grows with you all the better that your choice had long term usefulness.

FWIW I personally am an LS fan. I don't pay much attention to what marketing research says what my peers are driving. We were originally out for a GS3 because at the time this seemed appropriate. Thankfully the dealer didn't have the option package I wanted nor did I want to wait. A pre-owned LS was available that we liked and it put a smile on our face.

My final comment is you are buying the car for yourself, it's your $$ so go ahead. LS, GS, IS, KIA...the main point is that you will have a pleasurable experience driving the car.
Old 12-03-04, 12:22 PM
DrumProdigy83
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure what I want to do right now. People have brought the whole investing thing to my attention before, but if I didn't have the job I do, I wouldn't even have the options to buy a car or invest. These are only presented to me because I work at a good job and work a lot. I absolutely love cars, and while it is a poor investment, I don't think it will really matter once I am out of school and making 'real' money.

A Lexus is a 'better' investment than most other cars because of its reliability. It's a car I'd like and enjoy and maintain, and one that would be there for me for years even after I am out of school, which imo is a GOOD investment. I can wait until after school to invest in a house. Besides, as far as I know most every medical student actually lives in dorms or apartments designated by the school. Maybe I am wrong, but medical school is apparently pretty tough (although I heard the hardest part was getting in... still I won't take any chances lol) so it seems like the wisest choice would be to live in an environment as closely linked or associated with the school as possible. IE, students in college who live in dorms rather than an apartment... except in med school I'd assume there would be less partying and noise and stuff like that, so actually living in the dorms would probably be better than an off campus residence.

Anyway, aside from that, if I do buy a car it will almost definitely be a Lexus. If I really opt to choose to invest my money as well, then maybe I will just get a used IS300 so that I can still have a reliable and fun car to drive. Maybe my parents will help me out when the time comes? Maybe I will come into some money along the way (I go to Atlantic City every now and then... )? Who knows, but assuming the safe unchaging road I will likely end up with $25-35k and as of now am pretty set on the LS430, although I doubt I'd be 'upset" if I had to get a GS430 instead.

I guess we'll see what happens.... I have an open mind. Thanks for all your help and suggestions everybody.
Old 12-03-04, 03:00 PM
Diesel11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DrumProdigy83
I am not sure what I want to do right now. People have brought the whole investing thing to my attention before, but if I didn't have the job I do, I wouldn't even have the options to buy a car or invest. These are only presented to me because I work at a good job and work a lot. I absolutely love cars, and while it is a poor investment, I don't think it will really matter once I am out of school and making 'real' money.

A Lexus is a 'better' investment than most other cars because of its reliability. It's a car I'd like and enjoy and maintain, and one that would be there for me for years even after I am out of school, which imo is a GOOD investment. I can wait until after school to invest in a house. Besides, as far as I know most every medical student actually lives in dorms or apartments designated by the school. Maybe I am wrong, but medical school is apparently pretty tough (although I heard the hardest part was getting in... still I won't take any chances lol) so it seems like the wisest choice would be to live in an environment as closely linked or associated with the school as possible. IE, students in college who live in dorms rather than an apartment... except in med school I'd assume there would be less partying and noise and stuff like that, so actually living in the dorms would probably be better than an off campus residence.

Anyway, aside from that, if I do buy a car it will almost definitely be a Lexus. If I really opt to choose to invest my money as well, then maybe I will just get a used IS300 so that I can still have a reliable and fun car to drive. Maybe my parents will help me out when the time comes? Maybe I will come into some money along the way (I go to Atlantic City every now and then... )? Who knows, but assuming the safe unchaging road I will likely end up with $25-35k and as of now am pretty set on the LS430, although I doubt I'd be 'upset" if I had to get a GS430 instead.

I guess we'll see what happens.... I have an open mind. Thanks for all your help and suggestions everybody.
I am surprised at the amount of 'life' and 'investment' advice everyone seems to want to give you. By far the best investment you will make is your education. It will pay off so much more financially and personally than any stock or piece of land. As long as you work hard at med school, you are 'investing' extremely well in my mind.

If you really want/love the LS430 (I do!) then get it, but $35k might not quite make it. You have to factor in service and repairs as well, and it's not cheap on gas either. But hey you have to live life.

If you have any questions about medical school survival you can pm me anytime... I graduated in 1995.

Make the choice based on happiness, not purely on investment.

Fred

Quick Reply: GS or LS