LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: What suspension is in your car?
Stock/OEM (Springs)
50.61%
Eibach/HR/Tanabe DF210/Bilstein/KYB/Etc
10.74%
Adjustable Coils (Who-What model)
15.95%
Factory Air (Stock)
6.75%
Air (Who)
5.52%
Coil w/UAS
2.45%
Hydraulic (Who)
0.31%
Other (Please describe)
7.67%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

What suspension is in yours?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-05, 07:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
98 LS400 is bone stinking stock except for the tint and the Valentine One hardware. Love the OEM suspension
How things have changed in seven months

In addition to L-sportline bodykit and exhaust, my LS now has the L-sportline adjustible lowering spring (Eibach) / shock combo.

I still prefer the ride of the OEM to the L-sportline on the LS. L-Sportline are a bit noisy with bumps / knocks that I'm still trying to work out.

Set of chrome LS430 18" sport 5 star wheels going on tomorrow. Should make a big difference in handling from my OEM LS 16s.
Old 07-07-05, 10:06 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I too have that rear spring knock noise. Tomorrow though...I'm going to slip those Tein spring insulators over the top winding and see if that remedies it. As for the 18's...I am beginning to miss that luxo ride I had with the 16's. That is likely the trade-off of the added weight in the LSportline combo.

Post some pics up when the wheels are on.
Old 07-08-05, 01:01 PM
MRLEXO
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tanabe/Tokico.
Old 07-10-05, 08:56 AM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation My 1991 LS 400 suspension setup...

Tokico HP shocks and California Custom Lowering Springs (2" drop).

Both purchased on E-Bay. Saved over $200.

Last edited by Celsior2K5; 07-10-05 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-10-05, 11:58 PM
Slow13sGA
Rookie

Why is it that every spring available for 1gen are only 1in drops except Intrax? Does anybody have opinions of Intrax? The good and the bad. I have them on my Grand Am but this isn't a Grand Am we are talking about, I dont want to lose the ride quality, but then again I do want a noticeable drop. Can you guys with eibach and H&R post pictures of your drops, maybe a before and after. And also how are they compared to the stock ride quality. Thanks
Old 07-11-05, 11:48 AM
VeilSideGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tein HA on both my babies
Old 07-12-05, 06:30 AM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation About getting more than a 1" drop...

Slow13sGA,

It's not just the intrax that can give you more than a 1" drop. My buddy, Leo (my team's official sponsor) at LuxuryMods.com, has a set of Tanabe's on his 1st Gen LS 400 and I believe it was about a 1.7" drop or something like that. You can purchase the Tanabe's for $200 from LuxuryMods.com

I personally have California Custom Lowering Springs (2" drop) and they have quite a few that they've made in stock SPECIFICALLY for our 1st Gen LS 400's. I didn't hear much about them, but for $100 springs on E-Bay, I had to give it a shot.

I now have Tokico shocks (blue) and California Custom Lowering Springs (red) and the ride is a LITTLE more firm but honestly not that much difference. The ride quality is still amazing! You gotta look around bro and try new things.

Tokico HP shocks + California Custom Lowering Springs (2" drop) = GREAT COMBO!
Old 07-12-05, 08:20 AM
Slow13sGA
Rookie

Brian,
Thanks for the helpful tips bro, I greatly appreciate it. I completely forgot about Tanabe springs. I did try searching for the California Custom Springs online but couldn't find a site, are they only on ebay?. But I will try agian. I'm just worried about paying a ton of money for a ****ty ride quality. But thanks agian for all the info.

Sanjay
Old 07-12-05, 12:19 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation Hey Slow13sGA...

I just got your post, and yes, I do understand your concern about paying lots of money for some springs/shocks that would just end up being a crappy ride. That's what I was worried about too. After all, our LS 400's aren't being "souped up" to JDM street racing standards like Civics, Supras, RX-7's, etc. That will be later for me.

My sponsor says his Tanabe's feel great and there's not much difference either. Now, if you CAN I recommend you getting Tokico HP (blue) gas shocks for your 1st Gen LS 400. Hands down, they are seriously the best handling shocks I have ever tried and they're a well-known brand! I believe tons of import racers and street showers have Tokico's. It's a JDM product and they look cool.

As far as the springs are concerned, go with either my sponsor's brand (Tanabe) or wait until the California Custom Springs come back on E-Bay. Sometime's it's there, sometime's it's not. Even if you could find the springs somewhere else on the internet, it won't be as cheap as finding it on E-Bay. Either way, you'll be saving money getting Tanabe's from LuxuryMods.com or California Custom lower springs on E-Bay. Keep checking E-Bay periodically and type in the search box, "LS400 springs" or "LS400 lowering springs."

Later bro.

Last edited by Celsior2K5; 07-12-05 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-17-05, 02:42 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Lightbulb Totally stock suspension...

......here. Just put a set of 4 brand new shocks a few months back. Switched to BILSTEIN shocks but was very dissatisfied with the ride (ride got too stiff, and out of character for the car)....went right back to the OEM!!
Old 08-17-05, 04:37 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vicpai
......here. Just put a set of 4 brand new shocks a few months back. Switched to BILSTEIN shocks but was very dissatisfied with the ride (ride got too stiff, and out of character for the car)....went right back to the OEM!!
unless your lowering yoru car, there should be no reason to switch to Bilstein's. Just takes away from the Lexus ride for nothing you know. At least when you lower it, it gives it a better stance and much better handling and braking charactersitics.
Old 08-17-05, 09:26 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

98ls 400 stock susp. for now but what do you guys think will be the best shock and spring combo to lower the car a little after i get some 18 or 19in rims with money being a factor of course and ride quality
Old 08-17-05, 11:20 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I have put about 20K miles on my Bilstein-Eibach suspension. For a while when I had the stock wheels, it was about 90% of the factory ride, very smooth. With the 18's there was an obvious change but that is also a factor of what tires you choose. The BFG KDW-2's I have are a summer tire with a pretty stiff sidewall. Even at that, it is probably 70% of the factory ride.

Possibly this winter or next spring, I hope to install Tein CS's with EDFC. This has an adjustable firness setting so I will be able to dial in the ride qualities I want and store three preferences. Soft for clients, medium for usual drives and a firm for the twisties. Not to mention ride height is adjustable.

Check this thread in the GS section:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/75055-coilovers-vs-springs-shocks.html
Old 08-18-05, 09:53 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Got my JIC 's they are very nice but transfer more noise since i no longer have a strut rod bushing to go bad but a pillow mount. I love being able to hit the gas and brake without praying up and down everytime.
The roll is gone to a very reassuring rate which is great as well.

I would like it a bit softer as this car will never see a track but atleast i have no more squeeking and rattling from worn bushings.
Old 08-19-05, 10:34 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default Then am I right to assume......

Originally Posted by RA40
................Possibly this winter or next spring, I hope to install Tein CS's with EDFC. This has an adjustable firness setting so I will be able to dial in the ride qualities I want and store three preferences. Soft for clients, medium for usual drives and a firm for the twisties. Not to mention ride height is adjustable.

Check this thread in the GS section:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75055
......that yours has the AIR SUSPENSION??....I will be getting a 2000 LS with air suspension shortly, and have seen mentioned on this forum another controller from Datasystem (ASE 680) where there are 16 different ride height settings!!

www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1633

Quick Reply: What suspension is in yours?