LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Zaino Effect

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-04, 09:13 AM
Diesel11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zaino Effect

18 coats of Zaino. Love it!
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...p?ppuser=24170
Fred
Old 10-24-04, 09:56 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

It looks excellent except for that ML parked in your driveway.
Old 10-24-04, 11:31 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Diesell, Zaino?

Diesell were do I get some Zaino, and what is it? GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.
Old 10-24-04, 01:29 PM
Diesel11
Driver

Default ML 350

The ML is my wife's...she loves it, I'm not a big fan... but it;s safe for her and our 2 yr old daughter.
Zaino can be bought online from Sal Zaino. It is a synthetic polymer sealant. There are numerous posts in the detailing section, where Guitarman will tell you how to use it. Use the search feature.

Here's the link:

http://zainostore.com/

The finish is as smooth as a baby's bottom lol!

Fred
Old 10-24-04, 03:48 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks Very Very good.. How long did it take you?
Old 10-24-04, 07:12 PM
Diesel11
Driver

Default Therapy

It takes quite awhile to do the paint prep, as I bought this car used from a dealer that neglected it. Once the paint is prepped, it doesn't take very long to put a coat of Z-5 or Z-2 on it.

I don't count the hours as I enjoy it. It's a kind of therapy for me lol.

Fred
Old 10-24-04, 07:52 PM
Luna
Driver School Candidate

Goodness, another LS and ML owner. Both black of course. How about a supercharged Z28, (black and tan leather of course )
Old 10-24-04, 08:26 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The guy i bought my LS from had an ML... what is it with people these days?
Old 10-24-04, 11:02 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

alright I like the look of the Zaino thing, but I just dont get it. What makes it better than wax? Is it better to use than wax? Does it protect the paint like wax? And why like 1,000 coats compared to the 1 or 2 coats of wax? Would somebody like to clear this up for me? And if I Zaino my car, can I still put wax on it and be fine?

By the way your car is shining real nice. I love it.
Old 10-25-04, 06:08 AM
Diesel11
Driver

Default Why Zaino

Firstly with respect to the LS and ML thing, um... didn't you guys get the memo last year? lol They were running a special lol.

The deal with 'the zaino thing' is complicated. Firstly I think synthetic waxes last longer and are more protective in the winter when you don't always get a chance to re-wax. However, there are numerous synthetic waxes on the market.

Zaino is my preference because it has a very easy application process and you don't have to remove coats before you apply more. The Z-7 spray glosser is also really handy to use, in fact for those pictures, that's what I had just used.

Zaino is a system that requires a search on this site to really understand. I'm not saying that it's better than all the other synthetic waxes because I haven't tried every synthetic, but I really like the depth of shine I get from it. People always ask if my car is new and are surprised to find out it's a 2001.

BTW I have heard great things about NXT tech wax as well.

Bottom line is that the paint prep prior to the wax is the most important step. Just like real-estate.... location, location, location. It's Prep, prep, prep.

Fred
Old 10-25-04, 05:18 PM
98 LS
Driver School Candidate

Diesel11 ...........

Could you give a basic idea of what steps are involved with the "paint prep"?

I don't mind putting in the time ........ I just want to do it the right way.

Thanks
Old 10-25-04, 05:42 PM
Diesel11
Driver

Default Paint Prep

What I do for paint prep is really a modification of Sal Zaino's routine with much help from Dan (moderator on detailing forum)

1. Wash the car with Dawn. Make sure you use a high quality microfiber towel (I use Pak-Shak). I also dry with waffle weave cloths.

2. Next I used a Porter Cable random orbital buffer 7424 to polish. I use 3M products but you should read about this in the detailing forum, as there are finer and rougher cuts to the polishes. I polished for 3-4 hours to remove as many swirls and defects as I could. It is not possible to remove every defect IMO unless you use a rotary buffer, which requires more skill than most of us have.

3. Then you need to clay-bar the car, which is well described by in the detailing forum. You cannot skip this step and it's fairly easy. Use the search feature.

4. Then wash with Zaino car wash and dry again.

5. Then apply Z-2 or Z-5 mixed with ZFX with microfiber or cotton applicator pads. Let dry and remove with microfiber towels (or cotton).

6. Use the Zaino quick detailer spray to maintain the show-car appearance that you want.

7. Don't let any machine or other person wash your car except you lol

BTW Dan has infinitely more knowledge than me and you can reach Sal Zaino fairly easy as well.

Fred
Old 10-26-04, 05:58 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Looks awesome! I just got zaino Z2, ZFX and gloss spray from local distributor. Will do the detailing this weekend. Don't know though if it will make a difference on my silver LS430 as it is already smooth and shiny, but I sure will do it for the protection more than for the gloss as the winter is coming up. Your car looks great though. I am looking forward to see the difference between zaino and zymol I have just used about a month ago.
Old 10-27-04, 08:02 AM
ragabnh
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Please post the difference between Zano and Zymol as I am using Zymol currently.

Thanks,
Old 10-27-04, 01:13 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

which zymol are u using? I will be comapring the cheapo zymol cleaner wax to zaino. If you are using different zymol wax, my comparison will not tell you anything. Anyhow, I will post the results regardless, so keep on a look out.

Quick Reply: Zaino Effect