LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 LS 400 - Brake is getting stuck

Old 09-26-04, 08:37 PM
Bobby K
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 LS 400 - Brake is getting stuck

Hi everyone. I recently replaced the front rotors and all 4 breaks with OEM. I had a problem prior to this, the front passenger brake would get half stuck and apply constant pressure to the rotor. After I replaced the above parts, the problem continued. Someone told me that could be the rubber break lines so I changed the front ones. The problem is still there. Does anyone know what else may be? Thanks.
Old 09-27-04, 02:14 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 92 LS 400 - Brake is getting stuck

Originally posted by Bobby K
Hi everyone. I recently replaced the front rotors and all 4 breaks with OEM. I had a problem prior to this, the front passenger brake would get half stuck and apply constant pressure to the rotor. After I replaced the above parts, the problem continued. Someone told me that could be the rubber break lines so I changed the front ones. The problem is still there. Does anyone know what else may be? Thanks.

Sounds like you may have a bad/frozen caliper. The piston might not be working correctly.
Old 09-27-04, 07:20 PM
Bobby K
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: 92 LS 400 - Brake is getting stuck

The problem was never gone even right after I replaced the calipers and brakes. The funny thing is that if I'll take it on the highway while is still cold, it will eventually tighten up. After that, if I turn it off for about half hour, there will be no problem until I started when it has cooled off completely.

Sounds like you may have a bad/frozen caliper. The piston might not be working correctly. [/QUOTE]
Old 09-27-04, 10:09 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: 92 LS 400 - Brake is getting stuck

Originally posted by Bobby K
The problem was never gone even right after I replaced the calipers and brakes. The funny thing is that if I'll take it on the highway while is still cold, it will eventually tighten up. After that, if I turn it off for about half hour, there will be no problem until I started when it has cooled off completely.

Sounds like you may have a bad/frozen caliper. The piston might not be working correctly.

Are you sure you replaced the calipers in addition to the rotors & pads? The vast majority of the public usually only replaces the rotors and pads when brakes are done unless their doing a brake upgrade. If you did replace the calipers it's possible a malfunctioning caliper was installed IMO.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 09-27-04 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-28-04, 05:14 AM
Bobby K
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 92 LS 400 - Brake is getting stuck

Yes, I did the job myself. I thought of a defective caliper, but it is the same wheel. I don't think it just happened. And how do you explain this, when I first take off is ok. If I'll get on the highway slowly the break is tightin', up and the car is badly shaking forcing me to go under 50 because I'm affraid is gonna fall apart. All this, without even apply my brakes.
Old 04-17-05, 08:17 PM
Bobby K
Driver School Candidate

Just a reference to anyone who might have this problem in the future. I noticed that when the wheel was getting rough on the highway, I did not have to apply the usual pressure on my brake pedal to slow down the vehicle, but almost half of that. Which made me think about the master cylinder. Luckily, it was the master cylinder that created the problem. Apparently, one of the valves in it was stuck and did not allow the fluid to return from the front right wheel, applying constant pressure. I replaced with a rebuilt one at first cause I was not sure if this was the problem. I ordered now the OEM part and I will replace again. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 04-19-05, 11:10 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 94 LS Brake Problem

Not sure who I ask this question to, but I still have the problem & thought I would post it here:

Front pads are worn & are needing replacement. Passenger side pads are
visibly more worn than the drivers side. I have started to notice a
ever so slight movement towards the passenger side when applying
anything more than moderate braking. At this stage it is more visible
than felt thru the steering well. When braking beyond moderately hard you can
see the front end dip (as it should) but also visible is the center
hood line moving perceptibly towards the passenger side.

What is going on here> Do I have a bad caliper?
I have Bradi Rotors not drilled or slotted.
>
Rotex pads front & rear. Installed at 130,345
>
18,000 miles since brake flush with Ate Super Blue
>
Overall mileage 168,121
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like you make have a caliper that isn't properly releasing - or worn sliders-

W recommend reading this:
http://raceshopper.com/how_to_install_brakes.shtml