LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Does Your Lexus Have A Lot Of "Problems"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-04, 08:36 AM
SKLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Your Lexus Have A Lot Of "Problems"?

I hate to say it but my 92 Lexus is far from being in perfect condition...In the last year alone i've spent over 10k on repairs alone and it's still not even fully fixed yet. It first started with the windows of the car to stop operating. I don't even know how either it just stop functioning and that itself cost a few hundred to repair. And on a drive up to North CA a rock flew and broke to windshield *well my fault hahah should never stay more than 2 mins behind a gravel truck* but on the way back one of the pipes just cracked...i can't remember too clearly now but something to do with the exhaust? and that cost 2k also..then came the most annoying problem...the brake light indicator light on the dash board *no idea what to call it* kept on saying one of the bulbs where fried but i went to a local auto shop and had it fixed 4 times before i had to bring it to the dealship for to have it checked and for 3 weeks they couldn't find the problem and that left me without a car for a while also...and still i'm left with a few more troubles. My subwoofer one day just died and now it doesn't even work and i'm not sure if it's supposed to be such a pain but my Nakamichi Cd changer doesn't except almost any Cds. I mean practically NO cd works in that changer until i just got too annoyed and bought one of those tape adaptors. And just last month my radio antenna just decided to not go up anymore and now i can't recieve any stations. Also i'm not sure if this is supposed to happen but does the 92 Lexus have a auto lock function? Because it just randomly opens and closes the door on itself. I would open it with the key from 2 feet away and once i reach the door the doors would lock itself on me. And when i finally sit inside the doors would suddenly close and then reopen themselves again for no apparent reason. I think the "auto lock" caused me the most embarrassment...one day after a formal reception i wanted to change into more "comfortable clothes so i decided to change in the car and i stripped down to shirt and boxers until i noticed that my "comfortable" clothes where in the back trunk and i had to get it so i closed the door for a second and it locked itself before i could react and my car keys where inside...and my cell phone...But anyways i also have one more thing also the auto "off/on" function of the headlights don't work for me! They just randomly turn on and i didn't notice this until i went to hang out with friend one day and when i came back to the car a few hours later it was on even though i didn't turn them on and it was in the middle of a summer day also! Of course the car wouldn't start either...2 hours standing outside of your car on a summer day waiting for help wasn't too much fun...I know maybe i'm just a unlucky guy but does anybody have these same problems? Or does my LS just hate me?
Old 07-22-04, 01:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This may be the time to consider letting it go. With the door locking and such, I had this problem with mine and it was a worn driver door key cylinder. At $400+, this is yet another repair that may be fruitless with the other issues you are having, unfortunately.

Reliability is the key here and just from your description, I'm doubtful. It is a gamble and for all I know, a few hundred more may turn it around.

How is the driveline and engine doing?

Last edited by RA40; 07-22-04 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-22-04, 02:48 PM
kjbro
Rookie

Sounds tough. I've had the exact opposite history with my 95 LS400. I've owned mine for 2+ years and have only had to change oil. Everything works great. No problems with LCD in dash, radio/CD works great, all electrical works flawless, and body is in excellent condition. Sometimes, individual cars have "bad luck". I would not give up on Lexus, but it may be time to start over. Some cars are just destine for constant problems. Good Luck
Old 07-22-04, 03:08 PM
nk1983
Lead Lap

changed p.s. pump and lines

now about to go in for starter replacement and egr pipe ..(~800)

other than that regular maintenance.
oh my lcd is blacked out but tht doesnt matter since its out of view. and one of my gauge needles is out ( workin on that).
Old 07-22-04, 10:09 PM
SKLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by RA40
This may be the time to consider letting it go. With the door locking and such, I had this problem with mine and it was a worn driver door key cylinder. At $400+, this is yet another repair that may be fruitless with the other issues you are having, unfortunately.

Reliability is the key here and just from your description, I'm doubtful. It is a gamble and for all I know, a few hundred more may turn it around.

How is the driveline and engine doing?
gahh...the engine is a huge problem also....it's just losing it's "go". At a standstill it shakes like crazy. I just took it to the auto shop to get it fixed but it still shifts around...When it hits past 75 on the free way it feels as if the car is about give way..The car is causing me troubles all around but i just can't stand giving it up...who knows maybe i'll end up doing it huh? Just spent another $600 on it last month..at this rate i can just buy another used one...
Old 07-22-04, 10:43 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Some things for you to look into to get a very definite conclusion...although from your last statements, I think you already have an answer.

1. Compression check. If you have any cylinders around 110 psi, get rid of it ASAP. At 10 psi+ increments, it is a matter of time. This may also be valve train wear but either way...bad signs and $$$ to fix. ~$150 for the compression check.

2. Oil analyisis to determine wear characteristics. This will also show any signs of coolant or oil getting past the rings and such. $28 for analysis. If the oil looks like chocolate milk, too late, blown head gasket. Another sign is if you have to constantly add water/coolant as it does not maintain a constant level in the reservoir.

3. With the tranny, a fluid change may help but if it is black and smells burnt, this may be the last nail in the coffin. It will be highly likely there is substantial wear and damage waiting to show-up if not already.

I bet you also will have a variety of suspension wear and these are "nickel/dime"- several hundred a pop...unfortunately, I think your sample is going to be a money pit. Sorry.
Old 07-23-04, 12:09 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about all the problems w/ your lexus. I had an integra once and that car gave me so much problems. I knew hinda are reliable, but it was just this car that seemed to have alot of problems. I guess the previous owner didn't do a good job of taking care of the car so I ended up trading the car for my sc400.

If you get rid of it, you might get a car w/ more problems. If you already spent that much money on it, then maybe you should keep it.
Old 07-23-04, 01:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally posted by xmystikx
let's see..

1. whole a/c system gave way
2. 10mpg give or take a few gallons

otherwise, i love my car!
A buddy that has two '90's replaced their A/C at ~150K miles.
The 10 MPG...lead foot. I just gassed up after an all city driving escapade...my mileage was 14 MPG. I'm a timid driver.
Old 07-23-04, 04:21 PM
SKLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by RA40
Some things for you to look into to get a very definite conclusion...although from your last statements, I think you already have an answer.

1. Compression check. If you have any cylinders around 110 psi, get rid of it ASAP. At 10 psi+ increments, it is a matter of time. This may also be valve train wear but either way...bad signs and $$$ to fix. ~$150 for the compression check.

2. Oil analyisis to determine wear characteristics. This will also show any signs of coolant or oil getting past the rings and such. $28 for analysis. If the oil looks like chocolate milk, too late, blown head gasket. Another sign is if you have to constantly add water/coolant as it does not maintain a constant level in the reservoir.

3. With the tranny, a fluid change may help but if it is black and smells burnt, this may be the last nail in the coffin. It will be highly likely there is substantial wear and damage waiting to show-up if not already.

I bet you also will have a variety of suspension wear and these are "nickel/dime"- several hundred a pop...unfortunately, I think your sample is going to be a money pit. Sorry.
Thanks for your concern~ i really appreciate it but you have a point and i'm considering my options...i'm hopeing in a few years i can afford a new lexus but currently i'm kinda low on the money. Mileage wise it still has a way to go *still hasn't hit the 90k but close...not looking forward to the check up though* I'll do the checks soon maybe and then see what i can do. Thanks for all your help tho~!
Old 07-24-04, 01:17 AM
LexFather

Well Lexus is not perfect. It just has the least problems of any car made in the history of the automobile. A 1992 LS is now 13 years old. Time to move on.
Old 07-24-04, 11:21 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to seem heartless but would you keep trying to fix a 13 year old dog? at some point you have to realize that the end is near. its a lexus sure but its still 13 years old. sayonara.
Old 07-24-04, 02:38 PM
SKLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by digital_b
not to seem heartless but would you keep trying to fix a 13 year old dog? at some point you have to realize that the end is near. its a lexus sure but its still 13 years old. sayonara.
Thanks for your guys concerns~ spending so much money on it does seem like going to waste but somehow i can't bring myself to let it go. Been with me for a while so it has some sentimental value~ Soon i think i'll just pass it over to my sister and buy myself another used lexus maybe a SC? But i'll c~ for now i'll just stick with it till it's dying day *...hopefully it'll last a bit longer?*