LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

looking for a little hlep on hood shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-04, 02:31 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a little help on hood shock replacement

1997 Lexus LS 400 and I'm located in Calgary, Canada.

I've posted in the maintenance section, but, haven't had any replies yet, so I thought I'd try here.
Replacement hood shocks (struts) at the Lexus dealer here are in the range of $179 Cdn, each
Naturally, I need 2 of them. I've read a number of threads on the subject on this board ,but, still had a few questions.

It appears that a number of you are buying aftermarket shocks with similar ends to our Lexus cupped end, but, without the Lexus bolts and silver metal ball end that connects the shock to either the hood or fender.
You are then cutting the cupped end enough to release the Lexus ball and nut screw end and then reattaching the 4 ends to the hood and fenders. It appears you are then simply "popping" the new struts into place ontop of the old Lexus attaching hardware.

My questions:
1. How does the new shock not pop itself off the old ball end. Are your replacement struts using some form of spring loaded clip inside the cupped end to hold the shock onto the fastening hardware?

2. I called Lexus here to ask about what weight an aftermarket shock would have to support to be a proper replacement for the factory shock. They said, "You don't really think we're going to give you that info, did you?" Well, they didn't actually say that, but, that was the unmistakable gist of the conversation. Do you people know the required weight the aftermarket shocks must indicate they support?

3. We don't have Autozone here, so I cannot look for that Might Lift model. Are you aware of any other nation wide auto parts stores that perhaps might operate in Canada that would have similar shocks?
(We have Canadian Tire, Parts Source, Napa Auto Parts, Auto Value, Bumper to Bumper)

4. Is there anything recent in the hood shock replacement area that I should be aware of (ie: installation issues, new and cheaper source for the replacement part, etc).

Thanks for any assistance rendered. and by the way, I did attempt to edit the title to read "help" instead of "hlep", but, the editing gods decided I'm stuck with "hlep", whatever that means

Last edited by 749009; 07-05-04 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-05-04, 07:45 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: looking for a little help on hood shock replacement

Originally posted by 749009
1997 Lexus LS 400 and I'm located in Calgary, Canada.

I've posted in the maintenance section, but, haven't had any replies yet, so I thought I'd try here.
Replacement hood shocks (struts) at the Lexus dealer here are in the range of $179 Cdn, each
Naturally, I need 2 of them. I've read a number of threads on the subject on this board ,but, still had a few questions.

It appears that a number of you are buying aftermarket shocks with similar ends to our Lexus cupped end, but, without the Lexus bolts and silver metal ball end that connects the shock to either the hood or fender.
You are then cutting the cupped end enough to release the Lexus ball and nut screw end and then reattaching the 4 ends to the hood and fenders. It appears you are then simply "popping" the new struts into place ontop of the old Lexus attaching hardware.

My questions:
1. How does the new shock not pop itself off the old ball end. Are your replacement struts using some form of spring loaded clip inside the cupped end to hold the shock onto the fastening hardware?

2. I called Lexus here to ask about what weight an aftermarket shock would have to support to be a proper replacement for the factory shock. They said, "You don't really think we're going to give you that info, did you?" Well, they didn't actually say that, but, that was the unmistakable gist of the conversation. Do you people know the required weight the aftermarket shocks must indicate they support?

3. We don't have Autozone here, so I cannot look for that Might Lift model. Are you aware of any other nation wide auto parts stores that perhaps might operate in Canada that would have similar shocks?
(We have Canadian Tire, Parts Source, Napa Auto Parts, Auto Value, Bumper to Bumper)

4. Is there anything recent in the hood shock replacement area that I should be aware of (ie: installation issues, new and cheaper source for the replacement part, etc).

Thanks for any assistance rendered. and by the way, I did attempt to edit the title to read "help" instead of "hlep", but, the editing gods decided I'm stuck with "hlep", whatever that means
1- A clip holds the bolt in so it doesn't pop out so everything you assumed was accurate.
The Mighty Lift hood struts are extremely strong, you'll have no problem as far as the issue of them supporting the hood.
When you close the hood go slowly to release the gas pressure. Don't force the hood down hard & fast because you just might bend the hood. (that's how strong the struts are.)

Call the AutoZone Customer Care Center at (800) 288-6966 and see if they can take your order over the phone since your international. Mighty Lift hood struts# 95029
Old 07-05-04, 11:46 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

if you haven't done so go to retrodrives web page, he has a whole section (with pictures) on this very topic.
Old 07-06-04, 07:16 AM
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I had viewed his webpage and the pics. They were very good showing how to remove the attaching ends from the original shocks, but, I wasn't sure from the description there, how to reattach the new, aftermarket shocks as I assumed they come with different ends and there were no pics of the aftemarket shocks that he was using as replacements.

SharpLS-96, thanks for providing that phone number. I'll try to reach them from here and see what it would cost to have them shipped here. Unfortunately, some of the issues we have up here in attempting to purchase parts out of the US is that a lot of the 800 numbers don't work from here, and cross border shipping can add significantly to the cost because the shippers have to do extra paperwork, use a broker to clear the shipment, Canadian authorities add taxes and charges of their own, etc.
Old 07-06-04, 11:06 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Try this place if AutoZone turns out to be no good.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...97&catalogid=2

Phone: 915-225-3050

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 07-06-04 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-06-04, 03:55 PM
Driver School Candidate

Well the 1-800 number worked fine from Canada, but, it would not let me speak to a human. It required me to give it my zip code (we don't have a 5 digit zip code here) so it could give me a local number of a store near me. The other link you provided has a problem with it as I could not pull up the page.

However, in the meantime on the other thread I had posted in the maintenance section, Fern (also Canadian) managed to do some great investigative work and cross referenced the Mighty Lift part number to a part number with Canadian Tire here in Canada. The strut maker apparently supplies both AutoZone and Canadian Tire, but, sells the struts under different names. So I managed to purchase the struts up here for $31.50 Cdn each, plus tax, likely not much different than if I had bought them from Autozone and had to pay for shipping and duty up to Canada.

I don't have a workbench with a vise or drill or dremel tool so I found a machine shop that is going to attempt to rescue the 4 ends from my original shocks. Hopefully that works out OK and then it would take me 10 minutes to put everything back together. I did notice the new struts are about an inch shorter overall than the original, but, I don't think that will make a big difference. I forgot which end (black or silver went at the top after I took my 2 shocks off the car, but, I found a pic of another '97 on EBAY and that one had the black end on top, so I'll remount them that way.

Just got word from the shop that my ends are out so I'm on my way to pick them up. Color me a happy camper.
Old 07-06-04, 05:16 PM
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

Took less than 10 minutes to reinstall the 4 mounting bolts and pop on the replacement shocks.
They had no trouble supporting the hood. I was a little concerned at first, because it did not appear they wanted to let the hood go down and I was very wary of bending the hood. I grabbed the hood on the top, dead centre, and very gently eased it down. After it was closed, i put it up again and the second time, it came down a little easier, so I think they just need to be worked in a bit.
Machine shop charged me $30 Cdn to retrieve my 4 bolt ends so total cost for this adventure was still less than $100 Cdn vs. $357 Cdn buying the shocks at the Lexus dealer.
I'll close with the Red Green closing (familiar to most Canadians), "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy".
Old 07-06-04, 05:23 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Glad to hear you were able to accomplish finding/replacing the hood struts.