LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ano ther over heating issues again

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-04, 01:41 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ano ther over heating issues again

My 90Ls is acting up again.Two weeks ago it was shooting off coolant from the reservoir and I took out the thermostat and that seem to resolve the issue.Now whenever I am in traffic with the ac on, it starts shooting steam through the reservoir bottle(the extra hose leading underneath the left drivers side headlight).I don't think it happens whene the ac is not on.I also know my V belt slips a bit and it is slightly loose.You only hear the screeching sound on cold starts.Could it be the loose belt and it slips when the compressor is on? I am also thinking the waterpump is going out.Can the waterpump not work fully when the AC is on?My friend who had a similar issue thinks it is my waterpump but his leak was directly from the waterpump.
Any inputs will be appreciated.
I thought the water pump issues usually results from leakage from the seals,locks up and brakes the timing belt or a screeching sound?I am confused and I want to fix this issue myself.
Old 07-04-04, 02:41 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not sure if you're in the US or not. but wouldnt your dealer diagnose the problem for you ? they might charge you for the diagnostics but atleast you wont have to fiddle with the idea of what is or what is not the culprit to this issue.
I would take the overheating issues seriously. let's not try to save a bit and end up with a major problem due to this.
good luck.
Old 07-05-04, 03:27 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default I changed the V belt.

I did change the V belt and it is still shooting out coolant through the reservoir.
I am thinking about having a professional flush out the radiator before making a conclusion on this water pump.
Old 07-06-04, 12:00 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default My mech. found the problem

No one seemed to know what my problem is and I guess because I was hitting all the possible causes that most people would think of.
I hope I can remember all he said.He states there is an internal leak between the engine etc.. and the intake manifold.He said coolant and air is pushed through that section and this is causing the system to reject the coolant through the reservoir.
He will replace my reservoir cap,seal my reservoir tankfix the problem and then refill the system for $280.
Viola.I am picking the car up tomorrow and get out of this POS 94 camry
Old 07-09-04, 01:10 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default let me correct this

I actually had a slight head gasket leak problem.This was causing coolant to be rejected through the reservoir( air/coolant pressure build up in the combustion chamber).He put in a metal/gasket sealant which is unlike the ones you see at the auto parts store and he even claimed most shops do not have that brand.It only works when the gasket leak is minor.I do not hear the chattering noise anymore and I seem to have a bit more compression than before.About a 5 step process was done to cure this.This is the second car I have seen him perform this procedure.