LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

V8 stalls after startup unless gas pedal is massaged..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04, 11:00 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question V8 stalls after startup unless gas pedal is massaged..

I did a search on "stall" and "startup" but to no avail.

My friends's 1992 SC400 seems to run fine, except that it stalls after being started. Happens when hot or cold, and the only way to prevent it is to lightly nudge the gas pedal immediately after startup to keep the revs above 1800 or so for a few seconds.

Certainly something she can live with, but maybe others have had this same problem and knows how it was resolved. Posting this same question on the SC forum has yet to yield any replies, so I'm trying the folks with similar engines over here.

This might be similar to the "cold start stumble" issue on another thread on this forum, except this stumble quickly turns into a stall if you are not fast on the gas.
Old 06-30-04, 11:45 AM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will go on for a few months and then you will need to keep the RPM at 1K or above or the car will stall out completly. The problem is the idler control valve is going out, I had this same problem in my 99 ES and the symptons sound identical. It is a cheap part to fix take it by the dealership and have them check it out.
Old 06-30-04, 07:59 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Throttle body clean

Perry, your friend should also look into having the inside of the throttle body checked out. It's possible that it's quite dirty and filled with gunk, thus sending out the wrong air/fuel mixture ratio and causing the hard engine start-ups. I see this kind of problem show up on most other Lexus vehicles (GS, ES, LS, etc.) when lots of miles have been driven and a dirty air filter has not been replaced.
Old 04-03-19, 10:49 AM
Rocky317
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure out the problem? I’m having the same issue.. I cleaned my IAC in the midst of other maintenance but I’m unsure if I messed it up by doing so, or if there’s another component that cause cold start stall unless massaging gas pedal

Originally Posted by spxChrome
This will go on for a few months and then you will need to keep the RPM at 1K or above or the car will stall out completly. The problem is the idler control valve is going out, I had this same problem in my 99 ES and the symptons sound identical. It is a cheap part to fix take it by the dealership and have them check it out.
Old 05-05-19, 07:44 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm no longer in touch with Hildi, the owner of the SC400 with that issue, so I can't say how or if it was resolved.
But in the ensuing years, we've all become more aware of the crucial role the ECU plays in the drivability of the engines, and how vulnerable they are to failure due to aging capacitors.
So the ECU should always be a suspect when your engine/trans starts acting up.
Search "ECU" and "capacitors" for more info.