LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Scary Not Throttle Control on my 98 LS!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 01:19 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scary Not Throttle Control on my 98 LS!!

Hey Friends

Ok All this is a weird one. My 98 LS400 now has 51k on it and is always maintained by JM Lexus. I was scheduled for my 50k service next Tuesday. Well today after lunch I back out of the parking space put the car in Drive and hit the gas like normal. Nothing... the car did not move forward nor did the engine rev or the RPM meter move. The was NOT reacting to me pushing the Gas pedal.

I put the car in Neutral turn it off and restarted it in the middle of the parking lot and ok back to normal. Then minutes down the road all the sudden lost throttle control again. RPM drops and when I press the gas pedal nothing. I cost over to the right stop and restart the car again. Well I had to do this three time to get back to work no more than 10 minutes from where I started maybe 3-5 miles??

I called my JM Lexus service advisor and they are (for no charge) picking up my car and bringing me a loaner (Now that's Service) within the hour.

My question to you all has this ever happened to anyone. In all my years now own three Lexus cars this is the First thing to every cause me to go to the dealer for anything other than regular scheduled service. Way too weird.

Hopefully it something simple and very inexpensive.

Questing are cars have Electronic throttle right? I think so but I also thought the 98's also had a cable throttle as a back-up, if that's the case why no engine response when I pushed the gas. Also there were no strange sounds of any type or any clue what so every anything is wrong with the car (yes I had a Full tank of gas too).

Thanks
Old 06-17-04, 05:47 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that does sound crazy, at least you weren't on the highway or anything. Let us know what the results are and good luck.
Old 06-18-04, 01:14 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Well so far they were able to repeat the problem and they narrowed it down to the trottle body. Is it a minor or major fix no clue yet.

I'm not rushing them because they gave me a new RX330 Gold/Tan 900 miles and wood wheel to play with. I love my car, but nothing smells better than that New Car smell.

Their also doing all the service I was schedualed to do next tuesday. I will either get the car back tomarrow or next tuesday. My service advisor does not work on Tuesday and god forbid i deal with anyone else. The good thing is I keep the loaner till their done, what service.

Jerry

So hey, this has NEVER happend to anybody out there???
Old 06-27-04, 05:36 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Jerry, the electric throttle is one of the few things that I definitely dislike about my 99. That said at least ours do have a throttle cable and in fact if you had pushed far enough you should have been able to drive the car as the cable will open the throttle once past 2/3ds range of the pedal.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-27-04, 08:36 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually the TPS(throttle position sensor) fail on this vehicle. Once it fail, it will put you into limp mode. There are two TPS on this vehicle. They will need figure out which one it is. Good luck.
JPI
Old 07-22-04, 10:43 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey guys

Well I have had the car back now for about 5 weeks. They actually were NEVER able to repeat the problem as I found out later. They did think it could be either the TPS or the throttle body (if I remember right). They told me a TPS sensor was cheep under $100, but a Throttle body is around $1,000. My service guy did mention if its the Throttle body he would try to fix it under warranty. I am actually out of warranty now but I take both of my cars for every service needed every 5k miles.

Anyways I am writing because it happened to me again today and this time worse. I lost throttle control but tons of warning light came on to.

Check Engine Light
VCS light
a RED led to the left of the Green text message display
and in the Green text display it said like Check VSC

I have to start and stop the engine three times before the throttle responded enough so that I could park the car. I had four other engineers with me and they were giving me the hardest time for my Broken down Lexus. Their my buddies and were kidding but still not fun.

Anyways I called my Lexus service advisor as we were disconnecting the battery to reset the computer. He told me first of that's was the wrong thing to do because it will erase the problem. He did ask if I wanted it towed in. Always I drove it back to work. I think I may take it in tomorrow and leave it there until next Tuesday. I will be out of town. Do you all have any ideas what this could be?? I am not worried about the expense of repairs, all I care about is that the car is reliable. I drive my 2 year old Daughter every day to school.

Thanks guys

Jerry Horta

PS My servise advisor just called me here at my office. He is requesting I bring it in today after work. He feels sence the VSC warnings came on it my have saved a trouble code in the car. If it did then he will keep it and try to find the problem. So we'll see. I will keep you all upto date.
Old 07-22-04, 11:13 AM
AggieLS
Pole Position

This may be totally off track but I had similar symptoms with my old GS but it was related to my failure, or my son's, to fully tighten the gas cap after filling the tank. It would take a while for the car to react and had very similar experiences to you with start/stop repeatively the first time it happened. Initially I got told it was throttle body but the dealer couldn't be sure. After doing some thinking and reading of the manual & tightened the cap - took awhile for lights to go out but then was fine. Most likely that is not your issue but it sure was strange to see engine just die with no power on me.
Old 07-22-04, 11:34 AM
eDiddy
Driver School Candidate

Horta,

I had the 1st two indicators happen to me. My Check Engine Light and VSC Lights came on. It was my TPS that ended up being bad. My service rep told me that the car pretty much goes into "limp home mode" when this occurs. I have not had any problems since getting it fixed about 8mos ago.

- Elliott
Old 07-22-04, 09:39 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Well guys I stopped by the dealer and a hour or two later I drove away. All the techs came to the consences it was the trottle body and not the TPS. I am no mechanic so I have no clue.

They did the repairs while I waited. The only thing the car now drives like crud. The idol is at about 1,200. When slowing down or stoping the gear changes are not very smooth because of the high idol. The Service guy did tell me the engine need to lots of learning now with the new throttle body and give it a couple of days?? I cant complain too much sence they covered the repair under warrenty and dont wish to look a gift hourse in the mount, but this is strange.

I will keep you posted.

Jerry

Last edited by Horta; 07-22-04 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 06:33 AM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey all

Well I found out why the car was driving so bad. The engine computor is supposed to sence the new Throttle boddy and adjust itself acordingly, well that did not happen. My car was ideling at 1,500rpm and would maintain speed when letting off the gass. 75mph would be maintained and no need for cruise controle, but it really sucked when slowing down cause the enigin kept giving gas.

Anyways yesturday I call JM Lexus and they offered to pick up my car and fix the issue. Around lunch the flatbed came with a RX330 loaner and took my car into the shop (What service). I picked my car after work and all I can say is it drives better than every. The drive in this morning was just heavenly, silky smooth as it should be.

I could not be any happier with the service and treatment I get from JM Lexus.

Jerry