LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

RSR Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 02:26 AM
johnnyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm finding that lots of places carry them, just not in store stock...success will be reported along with some pics of finished product and review.

John
Old 05-14-04, 12:22 PM
johnnyc
Driver School Candidate

To all following my previous post's....the fun continues. As it turns out, the only possibility thus far is to special order the Tein cs coilovers from Japan through one of the multitude of dealers, wait 2 months for them to take the slow boat, and then wait an additional 2 weeks for them to get to me in Germany. My other, failed I might add, option was to try and order them direct from Tein "overseas sales" and have them mailed direct to me. Sounds good, except they don't answer e-mail and I don't speak Japanese. Were am I going with this you might wonder...has any body got anything to say about the JIC Magic--FLTA2 coilovers? Besides that they are about 500 bucks more expensive?

Thanks for all the help...time to cruise the other threads and see if I can dig something up.
Old 05-17-04, 05:45 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

By the time you ship them in, what is the expected price to be?

Bilstein has other offerings for our cars but not offered in the US. You may see what is available as they have an adjustable set-up from the pics in the Hyper Rev Celsior mag.

There was a custom suspension tuner I saw on a segment of a local show located not far from the Porsche factory. The reason I mentioned this is if it is going to be a major PITA to bring Tein in, then possibly one of these speciality shops may be an option.
Old 05-17-04, 10:18 PM
johnnyc
Driver School Candidate

1400-1800 bones includes shipping, if I go the JIC Magic it starts at 1700 or so without shipping...as best as I can tell. I've got a couple messages out to a couple Japanese sites and I hope to get some more information. Shipping is what I'm most concerned about from there.

Lot's of tuner shops here in Germany, mostly cater to European models. Get a lot of blank stares when It comes time to get anything done...
Old 08-25-04, 11:15 AM
johnnyc
Driver School Candidate

FInally an update! First thanks to Todd at TMEngineering. It took a while but he came through for me. New Tein CS go on Tuesday. I'm posting a "before" pic and will send out an "after" Tuesday night/WED provided I can stop testing them out...
Attached Thumbnails RSR Springs-resized-ls400.jpg  
Old 08-25-04, 10:06 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Looking good!

Tood told me he shipped your CS's when I saw him. Did you get the EDFC?
What wheels are those?
Old 08-25-04, 11:03 PM
johnnyc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I didn't get the EDFC yet. Wanted to see how the CS's worked out first. I don't invision a requirement for changing up dampening much while I am here in Germany. The roads (the vast majority) are just to good!! And will allow me to keep it set up stiffer. Once I start getting ready to come back though, I imagine I will want to relook my decision due to the many variables of US roads.

ATA Riva 2's, 2 piece running Goodyear F1s. 245/40 on the front 275/35 on the rear. I really like the open look of the wheels as well as the aggresive fat look. Performance with cornering recieved a boost as well. Can't wait to complete this package.
Old 09-01-04, 09:48 AM
johnnyc
Driver School Candidate

SUCCESS!!!! Finally the work is done, my car is lowered and ready to roll full-bore on the A-bahn with a little carving mixed in... . Just a couple of shots of the finished product. At least until I think of something else to do...body kit, platinum paint...maybe over the winter. Thanks again Todd!
Attached Thumbnails RSR Springs-glamour-shot.jpg  
Old 09-01-04, 09:49 AM
johnnyc
Driver School Candidate

Another...

Last edited by johnnyc; 09-01-04 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-01-04, 09:54 AM
johnnyc
Driver School Candidate

This time, really another...

Last edited by johnnyc; 09-01-04 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-01-04, 09:55 AM
johnnyc
Driver School Candidate

last one...
Attached Thumbnails RSR Springs-downtown.jpg  
Old 09-01-04, 10:01 AM
johnnyc
Driver School Candidate

really the last one...
Attached Thumbnails RSR Springs-good-side-2.jpg  
Old 09-02-04, 11:30 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Looks great!

What are your thoughts between the two suspensions while driving?
Old 09-03-04, 06:04 AM
johnnyc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I really like the new look. I currently have the suspension set at 10/8 F/R, 1 finger off the tires, and am initially quite happy. As stated previously the roads here in Germany are significantly better, as well as consitent in construction, and I don't have to worry about changing up much. I will probably end up dialing it all the way up to 16/14 F/R.

That said, someone else has made the observation that the CS will still not give our cars M3 like performance. That is true. But I also have a 99 5er sportswagon with factory sport suspension, staggered 19s (same size and ratio as my Lexus) and I use that as the comparison. Curves, cornering, overall handling on the autobahn has become more similar to my Bimmer. The biggest complaint I have now is that I don't have the same lateral support in the drivers compartment to enable me to "enjoy" comparable speeds. Instead of rolling out in curves, it's my rear sliding around that holds my speed down.

I am frequently challenging my bimmer on some of the back roads here. I can now run these roads on average within 5-10 kms of what I can do with my Bimmer. That, in keeping with the weight of my lexus, and of course the lack of other sport-like accoutrements, is really quite impressive.

Absolutely the improvements made in handling on the autobahn have made the money well spent. Gone is the roll and pitching at higher speeds. Definately feel like I didn't sacrifice too much of the known comfort level, just became more aware.

I'm certain that it may be viewed that I am being generous with the improvements made, but I'm happy and think that anyone making a similar change would also be happy. For sure, The looks I get now have gone up even over the looks I used to get. Lexus is not a common brand here in Germany/Europe. I am very pleased with the look and performance. Would recommend to anybody.
Old 09-03-04, 05:11 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Nice to hear. I haven't come across any here who have the CS's on their UCF20/21. Looking at yours, the desire to get some has taken another step up. Brian's VIP JIC's also didn't help in resisting.

I too discovered that the improved handling showed the lack of support with the seats. If that sway bar thing works out, I know I'm going to find the limits of proper support real fast.

Love your pics...what part of Germany are you located? (Sorry if I've asked before.) A buddy has invited me over to Gauting and I'm soo tempted.

Quick Reply: RSR Springs