LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 10:48 AM
jeffls400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey nuron,

The connector on the Ls400 solenoid is connected via standard spade female connector, connected to 12V...and the ground is through the metal bracket or housing. If your coil clicks consistently, then the issue is probably mechanical, not electrical. That is where the solvent / lubricant can help free the plunger and restore somewhat normal operation. Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-08, 08:03 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BR_blake
I had the same exact issue with mine. Save your trouble don't even bother with the flush because you will have to drop your pan. Your problem is your shift solenoid is out. I don't have the part number handy, but I did cross-reference it to a Supra. They are quite $$$ but it will solve your problem. Once you change them then you can go ahead and do a drain and fill transmission flush procedure. It is much easier on the transmission than the machine flush. Also use only toyota type IV fluid. Normally if you buy a case you can usually talk the toyota parts guy into giving you a discount. Hope this helps and when I find the part number, I will post it.
I had this problem too and python and blake are right, it's the solenoid. One thing no one had said is that you should first read your codes: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

When the O/D OFF light periodically flashes it means you have tranny codes stored. Read them according to my instructions. I'm 100% you'll get a solenoid code. I can't remember which one was bad on mine but once it was replaced the problem was gone.
Old 11-12-08, 01:33 AM
nuron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeff, I did the solenoid testing and it was clicking rapidly when I connected the power. I don't know what a proper click is though so I have nothing to compare it to. Is that what you mean by 'coil clicks constantly'?
Old 11-12-08, 09:30 PM
jeffls400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nuron, my solenoid clicked, but the tiny little plunger at the end of the solenoid body did not appear to move consistently with the naked eye. Once I gave it the PB Blaster bath for an hour or so, I could definitely see more of an animated response to the power being applied. I did this procedure over 5k miles ago, and I have not missed a 1-2 shift since. While you are in there, you may elect to clean or replace the screen but definitely do replace as much fluid as possible...I think that a lack of proper drain/fills by previous owners have a lot to do with this particular problem. Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-08, 02:57 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I run mobil one transmission fluid in my 1991 lexus now for almost 200,000 miles and no problems I just pump the trans fluid out through my transmission cooler which I put in. I pump 16 quarts a year doing 8 quarts every 6 months. I think red line is the same as mobil one synthetic transmission fluid. Mobil one is cheeper than redline both are good fluids.