LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Do LS400s and LS430s have any rattles/squeeks?

Old 03-31-04, 09:43 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do LS400s and LS430s have any rattles/squeeks?

Us over the in the GS forums have all sorts of little creaks, pops, and wind noise issues... yet our interiors share a lot of their overall designs (with the LS400s at least) and are built in the same plant, you would think they would have similar build quality / engineering quality.

So either they don't, or you guys have some frustrating noises coming from your center consoles, sunroofs, glove boxes, wind noise, etc.

What's y'all's story?
Old 03-31-04, 12:55 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Now that I've lowered ours, I can faintly hear the sunshade vibrating, also have in intermittent faint squeak but I dunno where it comes from. No wind noise.

How many miles and what mods to some of your G's?
Old 03-31-04, 01:18 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 91 LS400 with 114,000 miles ZERO Rattles or Squeaks.

I now have a 98 LS400 with 48,000 miles ZERO rattles or Squeaks.

LS's DO NOT rattle. Now unless you live on a dirt road and drive over potholes EVERY day then yes any car will have rattles. But do your research and you will find the LS to be the Least ratteley car on the market today.
Old 03-31-04, 09:44 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My '03 LS has a very annoying cracking noise above the driver's head around the rear of the sunroof. It seems to be temperature sensitive so during the winter it was quiet. Now that the weather is warming up, the noise is returning. I have had it in the shop once for the problem and thought it was fixed however, it came back fairly quickly. Unfortunately, we were headed into winter so I could not get it to reproduce for the dealer. It's going back in the shop very soon for this noise.
Old 03-31-04, 11:05 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by LS430inTX
My '03 LS has a very annoying cracking noise above the driver's head around the rear of the sunroof. It seems to be temperature sensitive so during the winter it was quiet. Now that the weather is warming up, the noise is returning. I have had it in the shop once for the problem and thought it was fixed however, it came back fairly quickly. Unfortunately, we were headed into winter so I could not get it to reproduce for the dealer. It's going back in the shop very soon for this noise.
That's a common annoying rattle problem in our cars.
I remember reading how someone fixed it but can't exactly remember who.
Here is a link with some threads regarding it, might help you fix yours.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...der=descending
Old 03-31-04, 11:06 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

I just got my 2000 LS400 and I did notice after driving in NY for a few weeks a slight rattle noise in the drivers side door over rough roads. No wind noise though, the car seems to be very quiet. Hope this helps Trexx.
Old 03-31-04, 11:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If this is the same sunshade rattle, this goes as far back the '85 Cressida I had.
Old 04-01-04, 01:19 AM
bluestar
Lexus Fanatic

Default 1999 LS

1999 LS with 83K miles. NO rattles whatsoever, and I have owned this car for 5+ years (purchased Nov 1998). On freeways at speeds exceeding 90mph, I have noticed faint road noise, and I attribute this to the Dunlops (hate them so much, cannot wait to get rid of the Dunlop Sport A2s on my car, to be replaced with the Turanzas soon). BTW, NO dealer-requiring work on the car since I bought it off the lot, only regular scheduled maintainances (up to date), new tires (changed twice already), and one front brake-pad replacement. That's it in 54 months/83K miles of ownership. Bar none, the best car I've ever owned..... Will buy another LS to replace my current one when the time comes.
Old 04-01-04, 04:49 PM
gewe21
Lead Lap

mine is slammed (lowered until no fendergap) and still no rattle.... unlike another japanese car I used to have (hate it soo much).
Old 04-01-04, 07:08 PM
LS430inTX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The noise I am experiencing is not with the sunshade. I hear a cracking noise - not a clicking noise. It sounds like somebody with a small hammer is tapping on the glass.
Old 04-01-04, 07:29 PM
Hackman
Rookie

I used to have problems with some rattles in my '91 LS400. It sounded like it was coming from inside the door panels. Upon inspection, I found that some of the screw mounts for the plastic fender wells had "popped" out of their settings. It was easy to reseat them but they would periodically pop back out.

I finally put a little silicone sealant on the mounts before reseating them and the problems ceased.
Old 04-02-04, 07:28 AM
jtparkes
Rookie

My '99 has annoying rattle in pillars behind both doors. Dealer tried to fix once but made worse. Seems temperature sensitive - worse in the cold.

My wife thinks I only notice because the car is otherwise so quiet, and I should stop complaining or she'll take the Lexus and make me drive the Windstar...

Jeff
Old 04-02-04, 12:07 PM
pvo
Lead Lap

I don't have any on mine. Hope it stays that way.
Old 04-02-04, 05:10 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by LS430inTX
The noise I am experiencing is not with the sunshade. I hear a cracking noise - not a clicking noise. It sounds like somebody with a small hammer is tapping on the glass.
Hey, this is a Lexus thing in all their cars. The sunroof panel since 1989 is surrounded by this plastic piece. When it contracts or expands b/c of cold or heat (it is right under the sunroof so it absorbs a lot of heat./cold) that is the plastic making a noise. In every Lexus I've had, it's happened. One of the few cost cutting items that are obvious I suppose.
Old 04-25-04, 04:00 PM
Collector
Driver School Candidate

Question Rattels

I've got one for you... my 91 LS400 has 160K miles on it and over the past two years has increasingly gotten more and more noticeable. More so on cold mornings.

I thought originally that it was the bushings for the anti-sway bars... but that was a squeaking sound... this is different. I think there are some anti-vibration fluid/oil filled things that have come loose inside the rocker panels, I don’t know but it sounds like bolts rolling around in the spare tire well.

My suspicion is because when I was changing the rear brakes, I noticed that there were some small round rubber mounted harmonic dampeners on the inside rear of the mufflers... me and a friend figured out what they were by thumping the muffler and then holding the mount. It is obviously some type of counter balance/ dampener for the exhaust system.

If I could just find where this rattling is coming from... I am tempted to have my wife around the block with me in the trunk!

If anyone has any idea what this noise is... I would GREATLY appreciate a heads up!

Last edited by Collector; 04-25-04 at 04:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do LS400s and LS430s have any rattles/squeeks?