LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Sunroof Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-04, 01:46 PM
rexus31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Leaks

I have a '90 LS400. The sunroof appears to be leaking in the front corner of the passenger's side. It soaked about 1/4 of the headliner and even dripped to the floor and soaked the carpet right in front of the passener's seat. Has anyone encountered this problem? Anyone know of a fix?
Old 02-22-04, 03:25 PM
buttons
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

--there are drain hoses in each of the 4 corners of the sliding roof housing.
You can see the holes in the rubber in each corner; first put water in the hole to see if it will run out--if it is stopped up you might use air pressure to get it clear. if the water you put in the hole comes in the car then you know something too. you know that the hose is loose or cracked,etc--that means the whole headliner assy has to come down to fix.
buy a shop manual if you want to do yourself.
Old 02-22-04, 03:57 PM
rexus31
Driver School Candidate

The water flows freely through all holes. Anything else it could be?
Old 02-22-04, 05:54 PM
buttons
Driver

not sure--unless it is going in the hole then into the headliner.

not sure about a caulk at the top.

maybe someone else can help
Old 02-22-04, 07:19 PM
Jansen Rollins
Driver School Candidate

Question Sunroof leak

I have the same problem with my 94 LS, there is a Lexus service bulletin BO93-008 which advises replacing sunroof guide rail covers to solve this problem if the drain holes are clear ? I have'nt ordered them yet but they are not expensive at parts.com . My leak is the same as yours on the right side, I keep a big bath towel on my seat on rainy days. I'll order the covers soon and hope this solves the problem.

Jansen
Old 02-23-04, 07:38 AM
buttons
Driver

Curious how you knew about the bulletin---is this something easy to find or did you have to go by the Lexus dealer--then be a brother to the service mgr.??? Are they online???
Old 02-25-04, 03:09 PM
Jansen Rollins
Driver School Candidate

Default sunroof leak

I have a subscription to Alldata.com for my Lexus and Cadillac, it has been a great help with some of the repairs and various service bulletins.
Old 09-08-04, 02:50 PM
lspower
Pole Position

mine just started to do the same, so if there is/was a service bulletin doesnt the dealer have to do it for free?
yeah mine just started to leak in the right corner, there is also water in the drivers side little compartment in the trunk think its related?

thanks
ryan
Old 09-10-04, 12:49 PM
Jansen Rollins
Driver School Candidate

I finally ordered the right side rail cover for my car and it solved my leak problem. As far as the leak or water in your trunk I don't know if they're related but I only had the problem on the right side and I made sure the drain holes were open, so I ordered the cover from Park Place Lexus in Plano ,Tx . The cover cost me all of $5.47 shipped . As far as a free repair that may only be for a factory recall but I don't think so regarding a service bulletin.

Jansen
Old 10-18-04, 02:15 PM
rd1411
Driver School Candidate

i cant find the back two holes where the water drain on sunroof.....my headliner is soaked passenger side middle to rear....
Old 10-19-04, 03:07 PM
Jansen Rollins
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure which holes you mean? There are 2 drain holes in the front corners , make sure you check them for any clogs but as far as rear drain holes you would have to remove the headliner as far as I know to check it. If the front drain holes are clear you will see water drain out over the rear wheel wells.
Old 10-19-04, 07:15 PM
rd1411
Driver School Candidate

Default leaking sunroof

i ordered the two sunroof covers like you did....but are they hard to put on.....what do they look like....man this water leak is giving me the blues.....so if the front drain holes are clear water should drain from the rear wheel ...you think the covers will do the trick?
Old 10-19-04, 07:53 PM
Jansen Rollins
Driver School Candidate

Well I can't guarantee the covers will solve your problem but my sunroof leaked so bad I kept a big towel in the back seat to put on the seat whenever it rained . It's the cheapest fix to start with. They are easy to put on all you need is a phillips head screw driver, and 2 screws hold them in place . I didn't know if the new cover was the answer but it definantly worked. Just make sure your drain holes aren't plugged and check the rubber trim around the glass roof panel also. When you get your new covers it will be self explainatory as far as installing them. Don't sweat it
Old 10-20-04, 10:19 PM
rd1411
Driver School Candidate

Default leaking roof

i disassembled the inside panel to lower the right side of the head liner. The back of the sunroof has a tube that comes out from it...it was clog...plus the sunroof assemble had a leak from a small hold that was made on the bottom...i wonder why they would put a hole on there....my covers should be here soon...what year lexus do you have
Old 10-21-04, 06:56 PM
Jansen Rollins
Driver School Candidate

I have a 94 LS , I guess I was lucky as far as the leak in mine.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Leaks