LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

94 LS400 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-04, 02:22 PM
houseVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 LS400 problems

so i just got my car about a week ago and thought everything was fine. sure enough...there are some problems now. any insight on these would be great.

mileage...112660

1) my power steering light is coming on randomly. (i know about the powersteering trend on LS400s for my year) if anything is telling me that there is a problem other than that damn light...its the sound that is coming from my bay like a bad motor or something. some buzz or somethin like that. it only makes that sound when the car is rolling without throttle applied. what else could it be if its not PS?

2) my front passenger side window switch is only putting out half power or no power at all. when i roll it up from my side...its fine. the button has to be pressed really hard no the passenger side to get any movement. wonder what THAT is all about.

3) my car died while slowing down at a stoplight. when i attempted to go at the green...sure enough the car had died. i remember listening to the stereo and turning down the volume and having it delay and then fade all the way out. wonder if this is linked to anything else.

so i have a 120k service coming up soon. would they fix all that for me? im holding off on modding the car until i get the service done and all parts in reliable working order. maybe you folks could help accelerate the process with some info on these problems.

thanks in advance
Old 02-15-04, 06:11 PM
gtfour43
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your power steering shouldnt be making a buzzing noise. If it is, most likely its low on fluid and if its low on fluid its most likely leaking somewhere in the system. Check the fluid level and fill as needed with trans(dexron) fluid.

For the window I would check the connections at the switch. Might be a bad switch.

Is your CE light on? When was the last time the car was tuned up? What is your idle at in gear?
Old 02-17-04, 03:48 PM
houseVIP
Driver School Candidate

well...i dont know what that buzzing thing is then...its only when its rolling in drive. as far as my last tune up...i just got the car a week ago or so...im due for the 120k tuneup in about 7k miles. the switch...hopefully they can fix that at the service center. the CE light is not on. the only light that comes on is the PS light. my idle is perfect. right on the 700 rpm mark. it looks as though my problems are minor and would be easily fixed. im going to see if my PS is leaking. i hear that it can funk up the distributor? not sure...keep me posted on anything that you may think of. thanks again.
Old 02-17-04, 04:44 PM
panos
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you get the service records of the car? It seems to have a number of problems which may indicate neglect. If you don't have service records, I'd do a thorough tune up and inspection ASAP.
Old 02-17-04, 08:41 PM
houseVIP
Driver School Candidate

yea...i believe all service records are there. im going to go over them asap. i figure that the tune up is just due so its prolly just common problems that will get fixed. i have the information of the guy that has been servicing the car since the first day it was bought. it was a senior citizen that i purchased from. he maintained the car really well...the leather is really nice. hardly any cracks at all. the tires are worn on the outsides of all 4 corners. im going to get an alignment and add some fuel system cleaner. which reminds me...if anybody could recommend some really good quality products for asthetic care as well as care for the internals of the engine...id love to hear everybodies input. money is no object. im going to pay the cost of what it takes to "be the boss" =) and to think im just turnin 22. yay!
Old 02-18-04, 02:01 PM
Colby
Driver School Candidate

<sigh>...another stalling LS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=colby

Some good reading for you. That does it. I am calling Lexus and giving them a piece of my mind.

Colby

Last edited by Colby; 02-18-04 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 04:29 PM
houseVIP
Driver School Candidate

ooh ooh!!! new problem!!! so today i was driving and i heard a loud noise that sounded it was coming from right under my seat. not THAT loud but noticable. so here is whats up with it.

i put it in park and it idles just fine.
i keep the ebrake on but put it in drive.
when i depress the brake...the noise starts!
when the noise starts my idle drops slightly.
the same noise occurs while rolling forward in park
either that or a very similar noise is being made
my idle while sitting at a red light is right around 900rpm

so i have no idea if its just coincidence that my brake pedal can affect my idle.
this is really starting to irritate me. and from what i gather...im not the first. hehe.
anybody have THESE problems before? i just hit 113k!!! YAY!
Old 02-19-04, 01:16 PM
panos
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know about the noise, but when idle drops when brakes are pressued, if often means that the tail lamps are stressing the system and the alternator works hard. Perhaps yours has a very weak battery?
Old 02-19-04, 06:54 PM
houseVIP
Driver School Candidate

yes! perhaps. i informed my dad about the problems and all he had to say was..."we need to get that shet fixed." so yea...tune up was due in 7k miles but i think im just going to have it done now. cant hurt. and as for the first product i bought for my car, barring gas, was some chevron techron concentrate. bought two because i figured 2 flushes should do the trick. kinda like takin a shet eh? hehe. i hate the feeling of knocks in my big bad quad cammer. thanks for all your help folks. this place cant be beat.
Old 02-24-04, 12:03 PM
big50daddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Colby
<sigh>...another stalling LS.

Some good reading for you. That does it. I am calling Lexus and giving them a piece of my mind.

Colby
Check this out
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2068/1/115/